Does the canadian government need to provide drinking water?

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:36 pm
Does anyone know if the Canadian government has to provide free drinking water to people?

The township at my cottage has recently closed the wells for some reason. We don't have running water up there, and they told us we would need to buy bottled water.

Do they need to provide us with drinking water? Or can they just say that we need to buy are own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:49 pm
I don't think the canajun government has any direct involvement in the provision of water. If you look at Toronto - we pay the city for providing drinkable water. Each municipality is different. Sozobe recently posted a question about unincorporated areas - residents of unincorporated areas would have to make arrangements for their own drinking water.

I know that in some cottage areas in the Rideau Lakes, the cottagers have to arrange for/purchase their own water purification systems.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:52 pm
Re: Does the canadian government need to provide drinking wa
I don't think any country has to provide free drinking water. But they definitely have to provide water services to populated areas. If you're in a sparcely populated area you're pretty much on your own. But I guarantee you that heavily populated areas would be protected under basic humanitarian laws to provide some kind of drinking water at a fee.

Also, they may have closed the wells due to some sort of contamination. That being the case what choise would they have?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
roverroad wrote:
But I guarantee you that heavily populated areas would be protected under basic humanitarian laws to provide some kind of drinking water at a fee.

You'd guarantee it? Wow...

I doubt there is any "humanatarin law" that covers it. It's more of a sanitation issue. You can't have 200 people all using 1 acre of land for both septic systems and potable water wells without the running into some pretty major health issues so built up areas build water delivery and sewer systems to eliminate the problem.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:58 pm
fishin' wrote:
so built up areas build water delivery and sewer systems to eliminate the problem.

Yes and I guarentee you if they took that away some humanitarian organisation or forign government would step in.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:34 pm
roverroad wrote:

Yes and I guarentee you if they took that away some humanitarian organisation or forign government would step in.

Wow, wow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:04 am
There are some people living on Reserves here who would be thrilled to get some intervention from a humanitarian organization or foreign government. The living conditions on some have long been identified as being below minimum world standards.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:15 am
This sounds like a contamination problem. Once it's cleaned up, the water should flow freely again. Fast food chains and regular retaurants are required to supply water for free, by law, but stocking up on the bottled goods is probably the best short-term solution.
0 Replies