What Trayvon's Family Risks in a Civil Case Against Zimmerman

gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 04:34 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Based on previous encounters with criminals ( with hoodies) in his neighborhood, Zimmerman came to the conclusion, that the person roaming through his neighborhood wearing a "hoodie" was a danger to the wellbeing of those individuals and their property, who lived there.

Martin doing a sort of a slow walk in the rain and looking at and into houses had something to do with it. Most people try to get out of the rain as quickly as possible.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:05 am
@gungasnake,
if you believe the testimony of a known liar...

(who did not speak at his own trial)
BillRM

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:32 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
(who did not speak at his own trial)

LOL so we are going after someone for daring to exercise his right not to testify at his trial!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second there was a large amount of him on tape talking to the police stating what had occur for the jury to look at and review.

Next the most important fact is that a jury hear all the evidence and found him not guilt of any crime.........
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:33 am
@BillRM,
you forgot the known liar part, billy...

if he is willing to lie about money, why not to save his skin?
BillRM

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:20 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
if he is willing to lie about money, why not to save his skin?

So all the physical evidences and the witnesses that support his every words should had been disregard by the jury?

After all we should have to yield to Al Sharpton and the mob he drum up plus the news media and we should also open up the so call Duke rape case as just as surely that Zimmerman did killed Trayvon for the fun of it those white/rich college kids must had gang rape that poor black girl.

Who need logic and evidences when we have emotions?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:22 am
@BillRM,
you are the emotional one my slobbery little buddy...

I find Zimmerman to lack credibility.

you believe everything he said if you wish...
BillRM

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:25 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I find Zimmerman to lack credibility.

That fine but your opinion have no weight it was the opinion of those six women who matter in the end.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:25 am
@BillRM,
until the civil suit comes about.
firefly

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:56 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Martin doing a sort of a slow walk in the rain and looking at and into houses had something to do with it. Most people try to get out of the rain as quickly as possible.

It was only raining on and off, which is one reason he probably had that hoodie on--because of the rain--and he was talking on the phone and not in a hurry to get home until the NBA basketball game started on TV at 7:30.

And he didn't live there, he was a guest in someone else's house, and he might not have felt all that comfortable just sitting around in that house, so he was walking around outside until the basketball game started. And his unfamiliarity with that complex, which he had only visited a handful of times, and always with his father, might explain why he was just looking around. It is also possible that, in his attempts to evade Zimmerman, who was following him, that he might have become somewhat lost or disoriented about how to get back to where he was staying--it was very dark, and all those houses look alike.

If Zimmerman thought there was something odd about Martin's behavior, when he first spotted him, why didn't he drive over and ask him if he was lost, or ill, or needed assistance? Why did he jump to the conclusion Martin's behavior seemed criminally suspicious?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:08 am
@Rockhead,
And Trayvon Martin's parents have already settled one civil suit against the homeowners association of that gated community, for $1 million+. The suit, I believe, was based on inadequate security in that development. I'm not sure whether it included any responsibility for Zimmerman as a neighborhood watch volunteer.

Neighborhood watch people aren't a security force of any kind--and Zimmerman didn't go around patrolling, or anything like that. He was driving to Target the night he spotted Martin.

I don't think Zimmerman will hold up under cross-examination in a civil suit, although he is a practiced liar, as the bail hearings showed. I think he will trip himself up--his version of events has too many inconsistencies and too much that is not supported by other evidence.

The jurors in the criminal case never got to hear from Zimmerman on the witness stand being cross-examined...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:32 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Do you have any idea how many people conceal carry and cause no issues. You are painting a whole group of people in the negative light you want to see them in...

...Your personal feelings about firearms does not match the reality of CC. The US media is usually anti-gun and I'm willing to bet that if crimes were being committed by CC holders then it would be the lead story daily. Sorry your fiction does not fit reality.

However, my "personal feelings" are my personsl feelings, and in the U.S. I may act upon them by avoiding those locales where guns are carried by private citizens. I guess I have a lower opinion of the masses than you do, especially when someone has imbibed some alcohol. Be that as it may, I believe my "personal feelings" only need to match my personal feelings. Isn't the U.S. a great country, what with state's rights, and my ability to live where only bad guys, as private citizens, carry guns. It's a choice that I have, and your rhetoric need have no impact on it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 12:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Florida did away with wrongful death lawsuits in cases of self defense.

If Trayvon's parents even try to sue Zimmerman, not only will it be thrown out of court, they will then be required to pay Zimmerman's legal bills.
firefly

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 12:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Florida did away with wrongful death lawsuits in cases of self defense.

No they didn't. Zimmerman's acquittal in the criminal case does not automatically protect him from a civil suit.

Zimmerman could request a Stand Your Ground hearing, but I don't think he'd prevail at that--this really isn't a SYG case. Only if he did prevail at such a SYG hearing would he be protected from a civil suit. He has no other options to avoid such a suit. And his lawyer, O'Mara, has acknowledged that.

At the moment, Zimmerman is quite legally vulnerable to a wrongful death suit from Trayvon Martin's family.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 01:12 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
However, my "personal feelings" are my personsl feelings, and in the U.S. I may act upon them by avoiding those locales where guns are carried by private citizens.

Feel free however the most dangerous areas of the country happen to be cities where private citizens are not allow to carry firearms "Legally".

There are no where in the US where the criminals are not arm to the teeth but please feel free to walk the street of Chicago or Washington DC for example where you will not find any private citizens carrying legally and let me know how it work out for you............
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
the most dangerous areas of the country happen to be cities where private citizens are not allow to carry firearms "Legally".

Soon to change. That's being challenged in court, and last I looked the challenge was at the en banc appeal stage.

Next step after en banc should be the US Supreme Court and a new majority ruling from Justice Scalia.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

It won't. One, the SYG law protects GZ from it, two a jury in a civil suit would get to hear all the **** which this jury didn't (Trayvon and 'lean', Trayvon and stolen jewelry, Trayvon and punching school bus drivers etc. etc. etc.) and three, the Martins could end up liable for GZ's legal expenses if they lose, which they probably would.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:56 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

It won't. One, the SYG law protects GZ from it, two a jury in a civil suit would get to hear all the **** which this jury didn't (Trayvon and 'lean', Trayvon and stolen jewelry, Trayvon and punching school bus drivers etc. etc. etc.) and three, the Martins could end up liable for GZ's legal expenses if they lose, which they probably would.

They wouldn't even have to lose. Zimmerman simply being declared immune from civil lawsuits will force the Martins to pay his legal bills.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 03:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
They wouldn't even have to lose. Zimmerman simply being declared immune from civil lawsuits will force the Martins to pay his legal bills.

Do you have some idea as to how that would work? I mean, if that's right, then they shouldn't even be talking about civil suits.

Foofie

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:21 am
@BillRM,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130723081346.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News%29

You might be subscribing to the popular notion.
BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 01:03 pm
@Foofie,

Quote:
You might be subscribing to the popular notion.

Sorry you are must more likely to be killed in a city such as Chicago and Washington DC then in areas where you can carry a gun legally.

The study you listed does not disagree with that and we are not talking about total deaths by others means such as accidents.

Quote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130723081346.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News%29

Findings from the study support prior work showing that overall homicide rates are lower in rural areas than urban areas. This was found to be true in all age groups, except the oldest adults (over 65 years old). Suicide rates, on the other hand, showed an increase with rurality, but the increased rate of suicide death in rural areas only reached statistical significance for the two youngest age groups: 0-14 years and 15-19 years.
0 Replies