What Trayvon's Family Risks in a Civil Case Against Zimmerman

BillRM

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:18 pm
@roger,
There is a middle ground between open carry and conceal carry as there are gun pouches that people in the know are aware that they are design to carry firearms.

My wife beside using such pouches for carrying her gun used them for money/paperwork/passports ETC.

When ever she go through a security checkpoint with such a pouch on her belt you can see security getting slightly up tight as they know what it is design to carry normally.

So wearing such does not tell the general population that you might be carrying but my bet is that a large percent of the criminal class will have cause for concern.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:28 pm
@BillRM,
It would get my attention, as would those little butt packs worn with the pack to the front.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:30 pm
@roger,
Oops! Does that make me sound like a part of the criminal class? You've heard of people having an honest face. I suspect mine is just the opposite.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:39 pm
@Foofie,
The problem with open carry is the anti-gunners. How many people are scared just by the site of a gun? How many times would a legal open carry person be harassed by the police on an average day? There is a reason why conceal carry is the law.
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:57 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
The problem with open carry is the anti-gunners. How many people are scared just by the site of a gun? How many times would a legal open carry person be harassed by the police on an average day? There is a reason why conceal carry is the law.

For any jurisdiction that chooses open carry, we'll need to install rules that harshly penalize police for harassing those who carry.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Zimmerman precipitated the entire thing by stalking Martin because he felt FALSELY EMPOWERED because he was packing a gun.

I don't think that speculation on your part ever was proven in Court.

Zimmerman was guarding the neighborhood, and to do so he had to carry a gun to safe guard himself. But why, did the neighborhood need guards to protect their homes and bodies?

Based on previous encounters with criminals ( with hoodies) in his neighborhood, Zimmerman came to the conclusion, that the person roaming through his neighborhood wearing a "hoodie" was a danger to the wellbeing of those individuals and their property, who lived there.

Your speculation concerning the issue of "falsely empowered" is nothing more that shear speculation, arising from your lack of information concerning what was in Zimmerman's mind, which incidentally was formed in part from his past encounters with the "criminal element" roaming his neighborhoods streets in the dead of night.
Foofie

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:20 pm
I would prefer that anyone that is carrying a legal gun to also have a small tape recorder playing the theme to the movie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Considering that so few people have the tall, lanky, masculine good-looks of Clint Eastwood, upon hearing the music, the cognitive dissonance might be evident. The message being: put the gun away and act like the rest of the masses. In my opinion, too many gun carryers might become closet Walter Mitty's, once they have a gun to pat lovingly in their pocket.

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@Foofie,
Do you have any idea how many people conceal carry and cause no issues. You are painting a whole group of people in the negative light you want to see them in.

An except from a wikipage:
Some states publish statistics indicating how many residents hold permits to carry concealed weapons, and their demographics. For example, Florida has issued 2,031,106 licenses since adopting its law in 1987, and had 843,463 licensed permit holders as of July 31, 2011.[4] Reported permit holders are predominantly male.[5] Some states have reported the number of permit holders increasing over time.[6] "With hard numbers or estimates from all but three of the 49 states that have laws allowing for issuance of carry permits, the GAO reports that there were about 8 million active permits in the United States as of December 31, 2011. That's about a million more than previous estimates by scholars." [7]

Your personal feelings about firearms does not match the reality of CC. The US media is usually anti-gun and I'm willing to bet that if crimes were being committed by CC holders then it would be the lead story daily. Sorry your fiction does not fit reality.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Zimmerman was guarding the neighborhood, and to do so he had to carry a gun to safe guard himself. But why, did the neighborhood need guards to protect their homes and bodies?

Neighborhood watch people have exactly the same rights and responsibilities as any other citizen. Actually, less than most citizens as I have never heard of a neighborhood watch that encouraged or even allowed it's members to go about armed. It might be helpful to distinguish between a private citizen going about his normal movements, and a member of a neighborhood watch association.
Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:29 pm
@roger,
Quote:
But why, did the neighborhood need guards to protect their homes and bodies?

That is the issue. All neighborhoods in the US do not have neighborhood guards. So why would a neighbohood need guards?

One reason would be a high crime rate coupled with poor police response or poor response time.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:39 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
But why, did the neighborhood need guards to protect their homes and bodies?

That is the issue. All neighborhoods in the US do not have neighborhood guards. So why would a neighbohood need guards?

One reason would be a high crime rate coupled with poor police response or poor response time.

Please do not make up quotes and attribute them to me. If nothing else, I've got a much better idea of comma placement than that.
Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:57 pm
@roger,
The quote was from MILLER.

Thats what the post says. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't care about your comma placement. Need I say more?
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:58 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Need I say more?

You needn't. Actually, I would prefer you don't.

Odd that you use Miller in the third person.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:59 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:13 pm
@Miller,
you completely don't understand the premise of the neighborhood watch program...

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/03/120321_EXP_NeighborhoodWatchEX.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

it is not supposed to be about armed guards or idiots...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:35 pm
@Miller,
Quote:

What Trayvon's Family Risks in a Civil Case Against Zimmerman

I don't think they risk much at all.

This wasn't a Stand Your Ground case, so it is unlikely that Zimmerman could prevail in a SYG hearing. You can't follow someone, create a provocative situation, and then claim SYG, that's not the intent of the law.

One advantage for the Martin family in a civil case would be that Zimmerman would have to testify, he couldn't avoid it as he was able to do in the criminal trial. I don't think his credibility could hold up under cross-examination, and I think the issue of racial profiling on his part would be much clearer. I think a preponderance of the evidence would indicate he was responsible for the wrongful death of Trayvon Martin.

I think the Martin family will file a wrongful death suit against Zimmerman, both in their quest for justice, and to make sure he can't profit from Trayvon's death. But I doubt they will rush into it immediately after the ordeal of the criminal trial. They may well wait until the Justice Dept. finishes it's investigation.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:27 pm
The phony moralists duel the amoralists.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:06 pm
@BillRM,
You can buy good modern replicas of the old Walker Colt in gunbroker.com or at Cabelas.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:12 pm
@gungasnake,
Well, yippee ****.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:12 pm
@gungasnake,
Well, yippee ****.
0 Replies