Currently on paid Short-Term Medical Leave and found another job...?

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:58 am
Hi all,

I have been on short-term medical leave (full-pay STML from my employer) for about 2 months, and already approved for the 3rd month. My health condition is better now (spine fracture after a car accident)l however, I'm already told by my coworkers that my supervisor plans to get rid of me following my 3 months disability leave. In the mean time, i'm offered another similar position from a different company - so the timing is perfect.

So my question is, do I need to cancel my short term medical leave when I start my new job next week? Or can I let it ride till the end of month to collect 2 more weeks of paychecks while starting another job? What would be the consequence if I get caught doing this? Would this be a felony? I do not care about being fired by my current company because HR won't reveal that I'm fired if anyone asks).

Please refrain from replying with "Liar", "you're wasting taxpayers money"... I know this is unethical and I shouldn't do this. I'm just wondering what the consequence is if I get caught since I'm very low on cash because of the car accident (my car insurance let me down). Please, useful answers or just ignore this message, thank you.

View best answer, chosen by jefflyman
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:42 am
You will need a release from the Dr. no matter what you decide.

If it were me, I would go to the new job if it paid more than your short term disability. Otherwise, run it out.

You can quit the old job - just tell them you won't be returning to that position.

0 Replies

jefflyman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:14 pm
@jefflyman,
Thank you for your feedback, very much appreciated!

I decided to play it safe and do the ethical thing - $$$ can be earned again, my reputation cannot.
0 Replies