I put in this line just before the post goes

WBYeats

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:04 am
A letter:
My dear Bertie
We were so glad to hear from you about you and yours. I put in this line just before the post goes. Yes Plato was a comic poet. He did also apparently...

1. In the above letter, what does THIS LINE refer to?

2.Is PUT in the present or past tense? In UK English, but not US English, I think the past tense would not be justified, but I don't know whether the writer is British or American.

2. Why GOES not WENT? When Bertie receives the letter, the act of the post's going should be a past thing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 542 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:15 am
@WBYeats,
The writer is very likely from the UK--an American would say "I put in this line just before the mail is picked up" or ". . . just before mailing." Americans do not commonly use "post" to refer to correspondence, which they do commonly refer to as "the mail." In the sentence "I put in this line just before the post goes" the writer is referring either to the sentence before that sentence, or the sentence which comes after--it is not clear which is referred to. I suspect, however, that it refers to the sentence about Plato, and any succeeding sentences.

Line often means simply a sentence, but if can have a variety of meanings. An American might say "drop me a line" to mean send me a letter. (Keep in mind that electronic mail is replacing hand-written or typed letters, so such expressions are going out of use.) Someone writing a brief letter might say: "Just a line to say hello and to thank you for your last letter." One would write this even though the letter contained more than one sentence. So, the text about Plato and succeeding sentences could easily be referred to as a line, even though it refers to more than one sentence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:05 am
Set nailed it. Only thing one also may refer to a line of reasoning such as a syllogism

Hard to do this on a phone

Bye
0 Replies