18 y/o high school student banned from prom for smoking.

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:13 pm
I was listening to a debate on the radio on this but I'm having trouble finding an article to attach to this thread. Maybe some of you have heard about this though.

Apparently there's a public high school in Hillsboro North Dakota that recently banned an 18 year old student from the prom because a school representative saw her smoking off campus over the weekend.

The school has a policy that students aren't permitted to smoke even outside school hours and off campus.

How can schools get away with rules like this? Especially since the student is of age. I may be able to understand this at a private school but not a public school.

Times have really changed since I was in school. My high school had a smoking courtyard for students and that was only 10 years ago. Now teachers can't even smoke in their cars if they are parked on campus. Some districts even test for niccotine before they hire a teacher and won't hire you if you have traces.

How can this be allowed to happen in a free society? Smoking has nothing to do with your ability to teach.

But anyway, do you think that schools are going too far with their anti-smoking rules?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 988 • Replies: 2
No top replies

xifar

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
My school has rules very similar. A few years ago, three people were not allowed to graduate because they were smoking and drinking at a party after prom.

It boils down to the fact that when someone attends a private school, they basically sign all their rights away. Conservative religious schools frequently have rules concerning smoking and alcohol.

I have never heard of a public school with such stringent limitations, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 04:26 am
Smoking? High schools have always had strange rules. When I graduated from a public high school ( sometime between the dark ages and the Renaissance) there was a girl who had gotten married the night before graduation. She was not permitted to walk in the processional!
0 Replies