The highlighter is beginning to dry

WBYeats

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 09:17 am
Hi, There's a situation I don't know how to use idiomatic English to describe: I've been using a highlighter to highlight words in books for a long time, and today I've found that the 'colour band'(I don't know whether you call it so in English;if not, please tell me~) produced by the highlighter has a lighter colour than before; how do native speaker describe this? Do you say?:

-The highlighter is beginning to dry./The colour of the highlighter is fading./The highlighter is running out of colour.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 497 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:17 am
@WBYeats,
These are quite common: The highlighter is

beginning to dry out
beginning to dry up
drying out
drying up

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 11:08 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
-The highlighter is beginning to dry.
Purely a technicality WB but I'd say "The highlight(er) is drying" since there's no specific instant at which the drying commences

Quote:
/The colour of the highlighter is fading.
The highlight is fading

Quote:
/The highlighter is running out of colour.
Nah I don't like this'n
contrex

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:31 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I'd say "The highlight(er) is drying" since there's no specific instant at which the drying commences

It is drying from the time it is manufactured; however we do not notice as long as enough colour remains to make an acceptable mark. (I found a box in a cupboard at work, all capped, all unused, that must have bought at least 2 years before, and they were all useless.

contrex

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:55 pm
@contrex,
Correction: It is drying from the time it is manufactured; however we do not notice as long as enough colour remains to make an acceptable mark. (I found a box in a cupboard at work, all capped, all unused, that must have been bought at least 2 years before, and they were all useless.)
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 06:17 pm
Thank you, Contrex and Dale~
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 12:32 pm
@WBYeats,
You're quite welcome WB for what it's worth
0 Replies