If you disagree with me you are the following...........

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

Not a facebook posting case but still interenting

Quote:

http://www.school-survival.net/blog/p/high-school-student-facing-8-years-in-prison-for-prank/3646

WGRZ.com is reporting that a prank has gone horribly wrong for 18-year-old Tyell Morton. The high school senior, who reportedly has never been in trouble before, was arrested last week after school surveillance cameras captured a picture of a man dressed in a hooded sweatshirt and wearing latex gloves, concealing a package and leaving without it.

Believing that it contained explosives, officials evacuated the school and the Indiana State Police bomb squad was called in to dispose of the package. It turns out that the package, which was placed in the girls' bathroom, contained a blow-up doll. Police say that Morton admitted putting it there as a prank.

He's charged with felony criminal mischief, a hoax that the teen's family says doesn't rise to the level of criminal charges. School officials say that the prank cost them over $8,000, and prosecutors like Rush County's Phil Caviness don't see the humor: "In this post-Columbine world, that's what you get when these kinds of things happen."

Jailed and facing up to eight years in prison if convicted, Morton will also miss his high school graduation and isn't allowed on school property.

Morton's supporters highlight the recent light sentence that wealthy playboy Ryan LeVin received after admitting to killing two British businessmen when he ran over them in his 2009 Porsche. He was sentenced to two years of house arrest, which he will serve at one of his parents' two luxury seaside condos in Florida. LeVin will be able to use the gym in the building and go to church.

While 35-year-old LeVin gets off for committing a horrible act, teens like Morton are charged with felonies and face major jail time. All of this over a prank gone wrong? The continuous need to criminalize young people in general, and black teens in particular, is outrageous. Clearly, Morton didn't think it through, as young people tend not to do, but no one was harmed.

We can see Morton having to pay back some or all of the money spent to dispatch the police or bomb squad, but facing eight years in prison is pretty harsh. Yes, some black boys are knuckleheads and even criminals, but not in this instance.

The lesson that continues to be played out in cases like this is if you are a young, black male, you have to walk the straight and narrow. There is literally no room for error because you will pay the most severe penalty possible. Unfortunately, that is the way it is, has always been and will continue to be.

Read more at WGRZ or check out the Free Tyell Morton Facebook Page.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 04:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is the case that is likely being refer to and we had gotten crazy indeed.

quote]

http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-18-year-old-faces-20-years-for-Facebook-post

18 year old faces 20 years for Facebook post
Meet Cameron D'Ambrosio. He's 18 and lives in a small town outside Boston. He wants to be a rapper and calls himself "Cammy Dee" in his YouTube videos.

Oh, and he's been locked up without bail for weeks -- facing terrorism charges and 20 years in prison -- all for something he posted on Facebook.

On May 1st, Cam was skipping school and messing around online. He posted some lyrics that included a vague reference to the Boston Marathon Bombing and called the Whitehouse a "federal house of horror." Shortly after that he was arrested and charged with Communicating a Terrorist Threat, a felony that carries 20 years in prison.

The post contained no specific threat of violence against any person or group of people, and in the context of the rest of the lyrics and Cams' rap persona, it was clearly nothing more than a metaphor. A search of Cam's house found NO evidence that he was planning any violence, but a judge still ordered him held without bail for the next 3 months, pending trial.

http://cms.fightforthefuture.org/teenager/

[/quote]

Quote:

http://www.inquisitr.com/819366/justin-carter-facebook-sarcasm/

New Braunfels, TX – A teen is facing the possibility of eight years in prison for a morbid Facebook post that proves sarcasm is really hard to pull off online.

Facebook brings people together, but not so that they can flippantly (albeit sarcastically) claim that they’re going to shoot up a school full of kids. That’s what 18-year-old Justin Carter did after a game of League of Legends went south for him.

Jack Carter, Justin’s father, recounts what went wrong:

“Someone had said something to the effect of ‘Oh you’re insane, you’re crazy, you’re messed up in the head,’ to which he replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk.”

“Lol” and “jk” notwithstanding, the threat was taken seriously by police after a woman spotted it and Google’d Justin’s address.

After a brief investigation, police arrested Carter, and he has been in jail since March 27. He is charged with making a terroristic threat which could get him eight years in prison.

“These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made,” Carter said.

The father also said that Justin was unaware of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut in December of 2012.

“Justin was the kind of kid who didn’t read the newspaper. He didn’t watch television. He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand public space,” The elder Carter said.

Friends and family have started a change.org petition to get the charges against Carter dropped, and to set clearer definitions for what constitutes a “terroristic threat.” It has just over 1,300 supporters.

“If I can just help one person to understand that social media is not a playground, that when you go out there into social media, when you use Facebook, when you use Twitter, when you go out there and make comments on news articles, and the things you are saying can and will be used against you,” Jack Carter added.

Do you think that Justin Carter should be punished for his flippant and sarcastic Facebook post?

[Image via: Thinglass / Shutterstock]

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/819366/justin-carter-facebook-sarcasm/#HEt8cBAdi1MW6Bpe.99
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 04:17 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
It might be time in fact long overdue to have a thread on the charming habit of some members of this website to try to silent and or discredit anyone that disagree with them as being either a law breaker or at best just a low life.

Below is just a short list of what I been charge with over the years for daring to take positions that disagree with these charming members of this website.

It kind of amusing to see the degree of evilness that I had been label with over the years all together in one list, but on the other hand how many others who do not care to face such levels of personal attacks had indeed been silent by this group of posters?

Stand marijuana should be legal……………..............You are a pot head.

08 BAC limit for drunk driving is too low……..........You are a drunk driver

Sentencing for CP is too harsh in US………............. You are a pedophile

Adult women should not normally be able to
claim rape due to their own drinking
by reason of lack of valid consent………............…….You are a rapist
A woman should not be ruin based
mainly on the used of the n word decades
ago………………………………………………...............……You are a racist

You think that people should take
more computer security measures able
to block even the government from
viewing your computer files and
communications…………………………................…You are a lawbreaker of some
.................................................................... kind and or wish to aid such
.................................................................... people including cp traders

You are a supporter of the second
Amendment and have a CC license………….........You are a gun nut and a
....................................................................... danger to society
Your points r well taken, Bill.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The kitchen is no place for people who do not like heat.

If you are going to post comments on A2K...people are going to try to stomp on ya. . . .
True enough, Frank. But ad hominems do nothing to advance a discussion. If one believes an opinion is silly, one should be intelligent enough to present coherent argument against it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:07 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
The kitchen is no place for people who do not like heat.

If you are going to post comments on A2K...people are going to try to stomp on ya. . . .
True enough, Frank. But ad hominems do nothing to advance a discussion. If one believes an opinion is silly, one should be intelligent enough to present coherent argument against it.

I agree. What is your point, Neo?
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not disagreeing with you, Frank. Just trying to advance the discussion. There are many a2kers who resort to the 'you are stupid' argument. Kind of makes it difficult to hold a discussion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:03 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Not disagreeing with you, Frank. Just trying to advance the discussion. There are many a2kers who resort to the 'you are stupid' argument. Kind of makes it difficult to hold a discussion.

Are you saying that I resorted to the "you are stupid" argument?

What are you saying? And why not just say it?
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not talking about you Frank
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:24 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Not talking about you Frank

Then why didn't you address it to the person you were talking about...rather than to me?
BillRM

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:42 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
There are many a2kers who resort to the 'you are stupid' argument.

You are stupid would be wonderfully civil compare to you are a pot head, a drunk driver, a racist, rapist and or a pedophile and so on..
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I thought you knew I would be agreeing with you on that point.
I'm not always on the attack. Very Happy GRRR! Mr. Green Drunk
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:08 pm
@BillRM,
I hear ya, Bill.
Only thing is like Frank says: "If you cant stand the heat. . ."

One way to look at it is there appears to be 10 times as many views to a thread as posts. So whatever you post and whatever irrational, inconsiderate reply will be read by many (let's hope) rational readers too timid to let their dogs into the fight, but paying attention, nevertheless.

I wouldn't bother posting here if I didn't think that.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:17 am
@neologist,
Quote:
"If you cant stand the heat. . ."

Well I been called all the those evil things for years and I am still here however I wonder how many of those 90 percents of readers and not posters have worthwhile opinions to added but had been stopped from adding to our discussions due to them not wishing to face such charges.

Next if kind of annoyed me that the very people who are claiming the rights to be the moral and PC police are the ones for the most part throwing labels such as racist,drunk, pedophile around the most.

Its seems a worthwhile thread to have in any case.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:19 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
"If you cant stand the heat. . ."

Well I been called all the those evil things for years and I am still here however I wonder how people with worthwhile opinions had been stopped from adding to our discussions due to them not wishing to face such charges.

Next if kind of annoyed me that the very people who are claiming the rights to be the moral and PC police are the ones for the most part throwing labels such as racist,drunk, pedophile around the most.

Its seems a worthwhile thread to have in any case.

"Name calling" seems to be a necessary part of Internet forums. Get past it; join in and return fire; or get past it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Name calling" seems to be a necessary part of Internet forums. Get past it; join in and return fire; or get past it.

In my opinion, it way way beyond name callings in any normal sense and that pressure from the community as a whole could reduce this silliness and that would benefit all of us.

Being call stupid or irrational or ill inform is one thing having a statement edit so someone can claimed that you had admitted to being a pedophile is another matter.

With special note of the person doing the editing happen to be the main person claiming to be the moral and PC police.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:37 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Name calling" seems to be a necessary part of Internet forums. Get past it; join in and return fire; or get past it.

In my opinion, it way way beyond name callings in any normal sense and that pressure from the community as a whole could reduce this silliness and that would benefit all of us.

Being call stupid or irrational or ill inform is one thing having a statement edit so someone can claimed that you had admitted to being a pedophile is another matter.

With special note of the person doing the editing happen to be the main person claiming to be the moral and PC police.

There is an expression we Americans use that goes: Stop pissing into the wind.

It has two meanings:

First, it means you are probably undertaking a task that cannot meet with success.

Second, it suggests that you try a different direction.

I suggest to you that to a person who enjoys and engages in name-calling, there is little difference between "you are a **** head" and "therefore you are a pedophile."

Trying to change that kind of person...or trying to find a forum where that kind of person does not exist...is "pissing into the wind" in the former sense of the expression.

You have two choices:

Get past it (let it happen and do not respond; letting it bother you as little as possible)...or...

...returning fire.

Choose one of those.

Complaining like you are doing is feeding the name-caller...making him happy.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:40 am
Does any of the readers and not normally posters on this website might wish to give feedback concerning the reasons you do not do postings here?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:43 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Does any of the readers and not normally posters on this website might wish to give feedback concerning the reasons you do not do postings here?

Are you ACTUALLY asking people who are not here to explain why they are not here?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

The people I been referencing to have for some reason not been postings on this thread so it may be that they do not wish to face the issue of this thread directly.

An you can never stopped this nonsense but I think you can reduce it by the means of having more of the posters here challenging this kind of behaviors instead of just accepting it as a part of the internet that we all should just put up with.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

The people I been referencing to have for some reason not been postings on this thread so it may be that they do not wish to face the issue of this thread directly.

An you can never stopped this nonsense but I think you can reduce it by the means of having more of the posters here challenging this kind of behaviors instead of just accepting it as a part of the internet that we all should just put up with.

Okay...then keep pissing.

But if you call the dampness you feel rain...you might take a sniff of it. I suspect it will not smell like rainwater.
0 Replies