If you disagree with me you are the following...........

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 11:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Name calling isn't necessary and shouldn't be a weapon used to push a given point in debate. THAT'S BILL'S POINT for this thread NOT the particular details in which you have a social or political disagreement with the bloke.

Thanks and right on........
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 11:48 am
@maxdancona,
But I see his point that he should not be considered a racist just for taking the position that he has, regardless of his interpretation of the facts or issues. If someone accused Bill of that strictly based on his opinions on the Deen case then I would agree that is unfair. It's also par for the Internet course.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:06 pm
@engineer,
and if you decide that someone is racist, and if you think racism is wrong, then dont take away that person's freedom to have his own ideas and thus your own as well.....make a better argument, convince people that your way is the better way. it is through free will/free speech/free minds that humanity improves, not the control of a police state.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Bullshit! Calling someone a "racist" doesn't take away anyone's freedom. It seems ridiculous to me that calling someone a "nigger" is ok, but calling someone a "racist" is somehow a violation of their rights.

Free speech means free speech.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
where America is on freedom now is "freedom is fine, so long as no one dares to say that they disagree with me" .......then it is off to the races trying to form a police state that will impose thought hygiene on everyone else.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Bullshit! Calling someone a "racist" doesn't take away anyone's freedom. It seems ridiculous to me that calling someone a "nigger" is ok, but calling someone a "racist" is somehow a violation of their rights.

Free speech means free speech.

unlike bill I dont mind name calling, but I am opposed to pushing people out of the herd because they dont have the "correct" thoughts. I dont mind being called a racist, I mind being treated as sub human because I dont carry on personally with the groupthink of the day.
panzade

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Neither you or Bill retaliate by name calling it's true. Kudos on that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:07 pm
The kitchen is no place for people who do not like heat.

If you are going to post comments on A2K...people are going to try to stomp on ya.

Enjoy it, Bill. You've earned most of their efforts.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
it seems ridiculous to me that calling someone a "nigger" is ok, but calling someone a "racist" is somehow a violation of their rights.

Odd as who had ever said that calling someone the n word is ok even if I can kind of forgiving when the slur is directed at an arm robber who held a loaded gun at the lady head and it was thirty years ago and she apologized beside!!!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@BillRM,
Maybe.

But I am not so forgiving when someone uses the word "nigger" to refer to her own employees. That is the real issue here.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Maybe.

But I am not so forgiving when someone uses the word "nigger" to refer to her own employees. That is the real issue here.

An that had been proven to the point you feel comfortable enough to help take the woman livelihood away from her?

Of course once more we are going away from the subject of this thread.

To get back to the subject of the thread you are also comfortable with labeling anyone a racist who do not agree with you that the lady proven "sins" had reach the point of taking her livelihood away from her?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:25 pm
@BillRM,
She is taking her own business away. No one is doing it for her. She is public figure who depends on her brand. Her brand is what she sells. Companies pay her lots of money so that she will represent the image that they want represent.

She lost money because she failed to do her job. Pop stars lose their livelihood when they stop being seen as cool. Sports stars lose their livelihood when they stop winning.

This woman is no different. She is selling a brand that has stopped being wholesome.

It is tough luck. But it isn't any more unjust then professional or college sports coaches that get fired every year when they fail to do their job (get wins). Paula Deen is now seen as failing to represent the brands she is paid to represent.

It is her own damn stupidity. There are lots of public figures who do a fine job of representing national brands without making an ass of themselves. Paula Deen is not a victim.

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes she should have never never had stated/admitted that she had ever remember using the n word under any condition even as a slur directed at an arm robber that had place her life at risk thirty years ago.

The civil suit it would have gotten little play in the news and done her little harm without the n word being thrown in.

Ass far as the companies are concern given that a large percent of them including Walmart have been charge with similar deeds in federal lawsuits toward their employees they should feel a shame of themselves and her customers did not leave her and if anything their sales would have gone up not down.

PS why do you wish to turn this thread into another Paula Deen thread instead of dealing with the subject of this thread.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:44 pm
@maxdancona,
PD is a victim in at least three ways

1) of a general unwillingness to hear out the accused...we condemn without knowing the truth, without caring about where the truth is.

2)an unwillingness to put bad acts into the context of a life lived, much as the same people who do it condemn others for pulling a few words out of the Bible out if context

3)of the current rage to criminalize and police thoughts and ideas.

the first two are out of laziness and lack of caring about justice, the third is out of having such a weak sense of self that we cant stand it if others dont agree with us.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:46 pm
@BillRM,
Businesses pay for representatives who can signify the image that they are trying to project.

Don't you agree that a business should fire someone who represents them if many of their customers have a negative association with them? A spokesperson who isn't respected by customers is a liability.

If many of the customers are offended by a spokesperson, why wouldn't (or shouldn't) any well-run company let them go? That isn't violating anyone's rights, that is just how business works.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is amazing the victim mentality you and Bill have.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is amazing the victim mentality you and Bill have.

it is not about me, it is about the state of the collective. trying to make the idea trash based upon who speaks it shows just how desperate you are to avoid reality.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
@maxdancona,
This spokesperson have many hundreds of thousands of people more then willing to buy anything she wish to sell and that happen not to agree with you and others with the same opinion that she is a racist or in any manner would caste a bad light on any business that she is a part of.

They could in fact had gotten credit for accepting her apologized for a misdeed long in her past and the past of the nation.

Instead they look like weak fools and have upset hundreds of thousands of their customers.

Once more why are you still trying to turn this into a Paula Deen thread?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:30 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
There isn't much room for nuance on the internet, is there?

I've been following a story about a 18 year old kid who has been in jail for 5 months (facing 8 years)
for an offhand, sarcastic comment he posted on Facebook.
I cant help but wonder what he said that was THAT bad.
Maybe a threat??

boomerang wrote:
Accusations flow on A2K too but it's really better than what I've seen elsewhere.
Remember Abuzz??

boomerang wrote:
If you ignore the knee-jerk, no such thing as gray people
there's usually room for a lively debate here.
Agreed.

David
roger

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:49 pm
@BillRM,
Oh yeah. I recall a long ago confrontation on Abuzz during which someone accused me of being an alcoholic and a drunk driver because I agree with the OP that penalties for first offense DWI were too severe. I denied both, and he then accused me of being in denial, which is a sure indication of alcoholism.
0 Replies