Could I be jewish because I seem to share some of their beliefs?

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:52 am
Could I be a self-hating Jew because I agree with Amos Oz about the Palestinians?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 09:45 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, idiot, it was ridicule.

I knew what your were meaning.

Quote:
The point is that you are promoting a stereotype.

No just sharing something I was not aware of.

Quote:
Long before this stupid, stupid thread i suspected you of being a closet anti--Semite.

No again, I have no ill thoughts of Jewish people I just found it cool that they seem to share similar thoughts as me on heaven and hell and the after life.
How do you get to where you arrived in your conclusions about me from my original post?

Quote:
I have not really studied Judaism but I have noticed that they do not believe in heaven or hell when you die but rather your thoughts are carried on in the minds of others and this is a type of ever lasting life so to speak. Maybe I have it all wrong. What is your understanding of Judaism?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 09:54 am
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Quote:
A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism. Being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do.

I find it rather difficult to understand that there is no belief process involved. Would you kindly explain how one need not to believe?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 10:45 am
@reasoning logic,
Incoherent as usual, and completely un-selfaware.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:04 am
@Setanta,
Non empathetic and dishonest self evaluating.
Would it have made you feel better if I said some Jews? I am not trying to lump people together but rather sharing a point of view.
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:09 am
@reasoning logic,
I have no empathy for you because i'm not the particular species of idiot that you appear to be. You have already been told that the only thing that can make you a Jew is if your mother were Jewish. You continue to insist that belief and behavior will make you a Jew, despite your insincere protestations that you're not "lumping" people together.

There people who are ethnically Jewish who don't practice Judaism. There are confessional Jews, people who practice Judaism who are not ethnically Jewish. The only way you could be Jewish, you boneheaded idiot, is if you mother were Jewish. So, my best advice to you is to go talk to yo mama . . .
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You have already been told that the only thing that can make you a Jew is if your mother were Jewish. You continue to insist that belief and behavior will make you a Jew, despite your insincere protestations that you're not "lumping" people together.

There people who are ethnically Jewish who don't practice Judaism. There are confessional Jews, people who practice Judaism who are not ethnically Jewish.

OK I see you are obsessed with ethnically Jewish people being called Jews and do not want to give credit to confessional Jews.
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:22 am
@reasoning logic,
Liar . . . you had never heard of confessional Jews until you read it here. Now we'll have to endure you running around claiming to be a confessional Jew, which is not at all what you were talking about in this thread. You may admire Judaism, you may even come to practice it (as though Jews don't have enough problems now). But that will never make you a Jew. But don't despair . . . you've got being an ignorant dipshit down pat.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:30 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Liar . . . you had never heard of confessional Jews until you read it here.

You sure are certain of yourself.

Quote:
Now we'll have to endure you running around claiming to be a confessional Jew, which is not at all what you were talking about in this thread.

Have you taken your meds lately?
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:34 am
@reasoning logic,
Unlike you, i don't need "meds" to get through the day. I'm certain that you never heard of confessional Judaism until you read it here because you are profoundly ignorant, and although that is one of the most painlessly curable of human conditions, you never attempt it until you have it shoved down your throat. Had you actually know of confessional Judaism, you'd have brought it up as soon as Jeffrey told you you're not a Jew unless your mother is Jewish. You're disgusting. Why don't you actually acquire an education, in a formal setting and swear off youtube for about the next ten years?
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:44 am
As far as I was aware, the Orthodox movement says you need to have had a Jewish mother to be a Jew, but Reform Jews say a person can be a Jew if either of his parents was Jewish and the child was raised Jewish.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and then I can also correct the rabbi who told me this.

However if we got into "Reform Jews aren't really Jews" territory, surely that deserves a new thread?

Ceili

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:47 am
I'm fond of Nelson Mandela and I like afro-beat.. guess that makes me African. But, I like goulash, does that make me Hungarian as well? I don't have issues with weed. Maybe I'm a rastafarian? I sometimes agree on tighter fiscal policy. Ye gods, does that make me a conservative too?
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 12:01 pm
@contrex,
The old dictum that one's mother need have been Jewish was very likely the kind of pragmatic adjustment to social reality that the ancient Europeans practiced, with their system of "sister-son" fosterage. You may not know to a certainty who the father is, but there's no doubt about the mother. In ancient Keltic and German tribes, it might have been more than your life were worth to inquire too closely into a woman's sexual partners. Among ancient Europeans, a man would see to the education and the welfare of the sons of his sister, even fostering them if necessary, and his estate would devolve upon his sister's sons. After all, he knew that as his sister was the boy's mother, they shared the same blood.

EDIT: He couldn't necessarily be sure his wife's sons were his, and with those big nasty bitches, skilled in the use of spear and sword, you might not want to bring the subject up.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 12:04 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:

I'm fond of Nelson Mandela and I like afro-beat.. guess that makes me African

Maybe you just have Soul. Aren't we all originally from Africa?

Do you like this beat?

roger

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 12:06 pm
@Setanta,
Smile
Setanta wrote:

You may admire Judaism, you may even come to practice it (as though Jews don't have enough problems now).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
3 thumbs up.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'll say this; you don't give up easily. Mr. Green
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:40 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I'll say this; you don't give up easily.

What can I say, I like to call a Spade a spade. I do not try and put people down but I do think that we all have beliefs that should be questioned and that is my quest, "to get others to question what they believe to be factual.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm certain that you never heard of confessional Judaism until you read it here because you are profoundly ignorant,

Do you think that Judaism is the only religion that people convert to or confess to?

Quote:
i don't need "meds" to get through the day.

Have you been told this by a Doctor or do you self diagnose?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:54 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'm fond of Nelson Mandela and I like afro-beat.. guess that makes me African. But, I like goulash, does that make me Hungarian as well? I don't have issues with weed. Maybe I'm a rastafarian? I sometimes agree on tighter fiscal policy. Ye gods, does that make me a conservative too?

Gringo college kids are often affected with a "wannabee" urge - usually born out of equal amounts of condescension and ignorance.

0 Replies