Should I move?

DLC90

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:06 am
I'm a male, 22 years old. Going through a divorce with two baby girls (2 years old and 10 months old).

Now let me preface this: when I was 15, I met this girl on a social networking site, who lives in England. She was 13 at the time. We cyber-dated twice but have been friends for the entire 7 years. A lot has happened to us both throughout this time span. Every time she would find a new bf, she would message me and tell me how sexy or sweet he was and even some details about her personal situations. During my marriage, I would almost never message her. She would message me from time to time. The last time she ever messaged me during my marriage was to tell me that my ex was ugly and that I should leave her. Of course, I took offense to this and never replied, thinking maybr she had a few drinks in her. But over the years that I have known her, she always finds her way to whatever social networking site I'm on and ends up finding me. Anyhow, she read my fb status update when I finally announced my ongoing divorce. She immediately msgd me, asking why I was getting a divorce. I told her that I was sick of being treated like a dog. She went through the whole "I told you so" speach and then told me to move to England to be with her. I asked her if she was joking and she told me no, and that she's always loved me, and she even wants to have my children...I'm not kidding! So idk whether this chick is overly obsessed with me or maybe she has this fantasy as to how we American men are, but I'm not sure if I should do this or not. One part of me says go, the other part of me says stay. What should I do guys?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 898 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:39 am
@DLC90,
DLC90 wrote:
One part of me says go, the other part of me says stay.

Listen to the part that says "stay". I won't comment about your marriage, I don't need to because this bird won't fly just on the immigration aspect. The UK Border Agency will bounce your ass back on the next plane. You won't even get into the country.

To enter the UK, you need a visa. Citizens of certain countries including the USA, can arrive at the airport, fill out and sign a "boarding card" in which they declare the purpose of their visit, and present their passport to the UK Border Agency agent, who has police powers. By doing this and stating that the purpose of their visit is a vacation, they are applying for a vacation visa, which can be granted or denied. If it is granted, you get a visa stamp in your passport with an expiry date. If it is refused, you go back on the next plane whether you want to or not.

Americans cannot just "move to England". Unless you have a costly and very difficult to get visa, you can only visit for a vacation, maximum duration 6 months. They can question you about this, ask to see return tickets, evidence of ties to the USA, and if in doubt go through your baggage, phone, etc.

If the immigration police officer thinks you are lying about your real reason for coming, they can refuse you entry, place you in a detention area at the airport, remove you from the country, and ban you from the UK for up to 10 years for using deception to try to enter the country.

They do this to thousands of people every year, and a lot of them are Americans who are meeting someone they hooked up with on the net. They are very very good, they know the signs and can spot them when they are way back in the line waiting to show their passports.

Unfortunately there isn't a "trying out a web relationship for real to see if it works" visa. If you managed to get through and hooked up with the girl, you wouldn't be able to work or get healthcare or welfare benefits because you would be an illegal immigrant. and in the unlikely event that the girl thing worked out, you would have to leave when your tourist visa expired or risk jail, deportation, and potentially a lifetime ban for being in the country illegally (since you got your visa at the border by deception) and overstaying.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:25 am
@DLC90,
DLC90 wrote:
maybe she has this fantasy as to how we American men are

Very likely. Judging by their posts on UK immigration forums, a lot of the American women who get turned back at the UK border seem to have some weird idea of how British men are, apparently gleaned from movies and TV shows. Also they are ill-prepared for the gigantic culture shock: they think that just because the UK and the USA both speak English, they are going to fit in straight away. An awful lot of posts on forums for US expats in the UK are whines about homesickness, the weather, the food, the unfamiliar brands in the supermarkets, the strange faucets, the weird accents (we don't all talk like Hugh Grant), the dreary suburb they have found themselves stuck in (we don't all live in castles or Downton Abbey), how people in pubs blame them for George W Bush, seem ungrateful for Uncle Sam saving them from speaking German, the fact that they can't get a job, (even with an employment-permitted visa, there is a recession) etc etc.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:53 am
You're kidding, right?

You are in the middle of a divorce, you have two children (babies, really) and you are distracted by a cyber-babe?

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:12 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

You're kidding, right?

You are in the middle of a divorce, you have two children (babies, really) and you are distracted by a cyber-babe?

This is one very cogent reason why the UKBA keep a look-out for people seeking to concretize a web "relationship": such attachments born out of fantasising, neediness, immature desire to fix one's currently unsatisfactory life by the click of a mouse and the purchase of an airline ticket, rarely end well. They can, if allowed to happen, result in a homeless, pissed-off, broke, heartbroken newly single person who may need to be returned at public expense to their homeland.
0 Replies

DLC90

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:31 pm
@PUNKEY,
Well even if I decide to go, it's going to take some time for me to get to that point. I'd like to be clear of this divorce before I start making preparations for this. Lol it's not like I'm just gonna drol everything and run off to England, trust me. Besides, there are many things for me to consider if I so decide to go, such as culture shock and the availability of jobs over there. I hear that it's much more different than what people tend to believe.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:56 pm
@DLC90,
Be sure to provide for your two children before you go overseas to check out a cyber-love.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@DLC90,
I would say contrex has pretty well answered any questions you might have on the availablity of jobs.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:43 pm
@DLC90,
DLC90 wrote:
Well even if I decide to go, it's going to take some time for me to get to that point. I'd like to be clear of this divorce before I start making preparations for this.

Pay attention to this - it isn't bullshit. Essentially, as I said, you can't just "decide" to relocate to the UK. It's not like moving to Kansas. there are only a very (very!) limited number of pathways for US citizens to go and live in the UK. People from the USA tend to end up in the UK (not "England", please!) because they are married to a UK/EU citizen, because they are in a job which is in a (very) restricted list of shortage occupations (read that as in the upper level of world-class brain surgeons), because they have multiple millions of dollars to (verifiably) invest in UK companies, because they are on a course at a UK university (which they pay for - 20 to 30 thousand dollars a year plus living expenses) (and they go home afterwards), because they are an employee of a multinational company which (verifiably) cannot fill the post from the whole of the European Union. Basically, realistically, moving to the United Kingdom is probably not an option which is open to you. You need to fix your life where you are now. I hope I have put this clearly enough. You need to absorb this.

DLC90

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 09:32 pm
@contrex,
Yes, after further research I now know this. So then my only option is to get her to come here. Otherwise, it isn't happening. It's not like I absolutely must go there to be with her. Just a suggestion that I was looking for some opinions on.
0 Replies