Could anyone paraphrase this sentence for me? Thanks

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 11:54 pm
I was reading "The Unbearable Bassington" by Saki, and I came across this sentence that confused me. Could anyone paraphrase the bold part for me please? Thank you so much.

I would stimulate the waning enthusiasm for Christianity in this country by
labelling it as the exclusive possession of a privileged few. If one could induce the Duchess of Pelm, for instance, to assert that the Kingdom of Heaven, as far as the British Isles are concerned, is strictly limited to herself, two of the under-gardeners at Pelmby, and, possibly, but not certainly, the Dean of Dunster, there would be an instant reshaping of the popular attitude towards religious convictions and observances. Once let the idea get about that the Christian Church is rather more exclusive than the Lawn at Ascot, and you would have a quickening of religious life such as this generation has never witnessed. But as long as the clergy and the religious organisations advertise their creed on the lines of ‘Everybody ought to believe in us: millions do,’ one can expect nothing but indifference and waning faith.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 594 • Replies: 6
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 12:08 am
@lizfeehily,

Quote:
If one could induce the Duchess of Pelm, for instance, to assert that the Kingdom of Heaven, as far as the British Isles are concerned, is strictly limited to herself, two of the under-gardeners at Pelmby, and, possibly, but not certainly, the Dean of Dunster, there would be an instant reshaping of the popular attitude towards religious convictions and observances.

Yes. Humorous writing, old-fashioned style.

As an idea to increase the observation/ practice of Christianity among the population, make it seem more exclusive.
Persuade the Duchess to claim that the prospect of Heaven, as far as the British are concerned, is limited to her, a couple of her gardeners, and maybe her local priest.
Then (so says the humorist) everyone else would clamour to be allowed to get in. And presumably fill the churches on a Sunday.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 10:26 am
@lizfeehily,
The hoi polloi are swayed by the habits of fame
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 10:03 am
@McTag,
Thank you sooooo much.
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 08:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag, there is one thing that I still don't understand. Pelm is a place in Germany, then why "as far as the British Isles are concerned"....Dunster is a place in England... So why Pelm?
McTag

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 03:36 am
@lizfeehily,

It's firmly rooted in England of course.

I've no idea why the local minor aristocracy/ dignitary carried a German title. That's a new one to me, and I'd have to do some research to find out.

Google gives nothing under that exact title. So maybe a local misspelling/ abbreviation of Pelham?

Anyway, as a proper name, it has no real significance. A rose, by any other name...
lizfeehily

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 06:01 pm
@McTag,
I see. I think you are right. It's definitely an English place. Thank you so much.
0 Replies