THE 600TH AMERICAN DEATH IN IRAQ

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:43 pm
kickycan wrote:
hobit, Now you're on the right track. Maybe we could just kill a few of them, drag their bodies through the streets, chop off a couple of limbs for good measure, and see how big the celebration is for that little party! ****, I think Saddam was the best man for the job over there, after seeing that crap! Yeah, I'm sure that Democracy and freedom is going to work real well over there. Rolling Eyes

You're being sarcastic, right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:46 pm
Maybe rub 'em down with some pork sausage as well.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:48 pm
I am being sarcastic, but I'm also thinking about a whole mob of people delighting in the mutilation of dead people. It makes me sick. Could you ever see a whole town in America doing something like that? It would NEVER EVER happen, because we are not savages. It just makes me realize that these people aren't even close to keeping up with the progress of the rest of the civilized world. I wish we could just get rid of this kind of primitive **** in the world.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:15 pm
kickycan wrote:
I am being sarcastic, but I'm also thinking about a whole mob of people delighting in the mutilation of dead people. It makes me sick. Could you ever see a whole town in America doing something like that? It would NEVER EVER happen, because we are not savages.

But once it did happen. In New England in at least Connecticut and Massachusetts during the American Revolution. Against Native Americans in much of the 19th century, against African American during the American Civil War, and the lynchings of the late 19th and early 20th century. We are not like that now for a number of reason, not the least of which is that we now feel, collectively, more secure. But it happened in the past when we did not. This does not excuse what happened in Iraq yesterday. But it suggests why it happened and that is the first step towards making certain it does not happen again.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
kickycan wrote:
I am being sarcastic, but I'm also thinking about a whole mob of people delighting in the mutilation of dead people. It makes me sick. Could you ever see a whole town in America doing something like that? It would NEVER EVER happen, because we are not savages. It just makes me realize that these people aren't even close to keeping up with the progress of the rest of the civilized world. I wish we could just get rid of this kind of primitive **** in the world.

I can easily imagine Americans, English, Outer Mongolians, etc.. doing it. Imagine you had suffered for your entire life under a dictatorship. Recently you had suffered worse due to sanctions imposed by an entity that had now invaded, destroying your infrastrcuture. You had no certainity of water supply, little electricity, no job, and were subject to arrest, torture, and random death by the very occupiers who called themselves your "liberators." A military dictator from that nation was in charge, with a pupet council made up of ex-pats who had lined their pockets with that occupier's money, and it was beginning to look again like you were going to suffer under the same sort of dictatorship, only the name of the leader would change. I know I would likely be outraged enough to mutilate the bodies of people I identified with that foreign invader. Especailly if that was the only way I oculd express my anger toward that occupier.
To quote Depeche Mode: People are people. Confused
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:23 pm
that may be true too hot..but it is no less despicable now than in our own past..my first knee jerk reaction was like Kicks..and now it is just sadness and depression..i will keep earging people here to protest this war ...and hopefully put a better man/woman in office come Nov....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
I know what you guys are saying. I'm just pissed at the world today.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:37 pm
thanks Kick..you summed it up pretty succintly...not only pissed for me...but very very sad...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:06 pm
There was an expression in VN when I was there:

"Here we are: the Unwilling, led by the Incompetent, to do the Impossible for the Ungrateful."

I appreciate that some of y'all have opposed this involvement from before the beginning and others support it equally as strongly. So be it.

As for johnboy, 600 will become 700 or 800 and then 1000. Why are we doing this?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
So others can experience the same freedoms from tyranny that we do.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So others can experience the same freedoms from tyranny that we do.

Do you really believe that?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
He asked why we were doing that. He did not ask why I believed we were doing that.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
Fear and Loathing
http://www.counterpunch.org/Bush%20in%20Babylon.jpg

I recommend this book to everyone, especially to Right Wingers!
0 Replies