God Damnit, Texas.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:47 pm
The new special session has been called for. I am resigned that Perry's fools have the power to punch it through without a third session.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:47 am
These republican state might have the power to ram laws down women's throats, but they should remember, all these women vote. Perhaps it will take a while, but if the demographics keep going the way they do, republicans will not even be in power in their own states.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/texas-protest1-e1372873748514.jpg
source

Thousands protest anti-abortion law in front of Texas Capitol

Quote:
Thousands of pro-choice activists rallied in front of the Texas Capitol on Monday as the legislature reconvened to vote on new abortion legislation that would be among the most restrictive in the US.

Lawmakers on Monday began a second 30-day session to reconsider Senate Bill 5 after a daylong Senate filibuster stopped its passage last week. State Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) stalled the measure, standing without food or water for hours as she spoke in support of abortion rights. Republicans were able to stop her filibuster and voted 19 to 10 to pass the bill, but screaming opponents prevented Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst from signing the bill and sending it to the governor before the midnight deadline.

The proposed bill would ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy and shut down most of the state’s clinics. Only five out of 42 clinics would be able to remain in operation, due to the bill’s provision that restricts the procedure to surgical centers.

After the filibuster and a raucous crowd effectively delayed the bill on June 25, Governor Rick Perry announced that he was calling lawmakers back for a second special session to reconsider the proposal

Texas moves to adopt anti-abortion law despite thousands protesting on the streets

Quote:
Angry protesters flooded a House committee meeting and rallied outside the Texas Capitol as one of the nation’s most restrictive abortion bills advanced in the state legislature early Wednesday morning.

The Texas House committee voted to move forward with House Bill 2 – an identical version of the abortion legislation that was stalled last week by a filibuster. The bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy and shut down 37 of the state’s 42 clinics.

More than 3,5000 people came to the Capitol to register their position to the bill and more than 2,000 signed up to testify on Tuesday, but the House State Affairs Committee approved the measure 8-3 after hearing from fewer than 100 people. The controversial bill will now move to the House of Representatives for consideration early next week.
Rep. Sylvester Turner (D-Houston) asked the committee chairman to allow more people to testify, but his request was denied.

“The people have the right to come here, and they have the right to be heard,” he said. Turner also made an attempt to amend the bill, which House State Affairs Chairman Byron Cook (R-Corsicana) also denied, telling him he “can bring it up on the House floor.”

Democratic lawmakers criticized Republicans for advancing the bill so quickly, despite the thousands of Texans who have protested against the law on the streets. Rep. Jessica Farrar told MSNBC that the actions of the Republicans were “politics at its worst.”
JPB

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:51 am
@revelette,
They feel they're safe because of gerrymandered districts, and they very well may be.

TX, OH, NC, and other Republican controlled state legislatures are passing laws while they still have their majorities and then are depending on safe districts to keep them in control after 2014. Dems really fell asleep on the job in 2010 by staying home in large numbers, giving Republicans control over redistricting for a decade.
revelette

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:58 am
@JPB,
I understand, but it seems to me that the republicans of today are getting almost all groups mad for one reason or another because they seem to be anti-everything. Perhaps with any luck, even in those gerrymandering districts, enough women, gays, minorities and immigrants will start to get enough of it and vote against them.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:15 am
The great majority of Texans I have met parrot the Republican mantra. It will be a long time before we get them out of there. Perry has an important announcement to make in the next few days. I suspect he will run for reelection. And win.
JPB

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:39 am
@revelette,
Not if it means voting for a Dem. The only real hope of eliminating a Republican stranglehold on the conversatives is to come up with a real viable third-party alternative.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:41 am
@edgarblythe,
I know what you mean about republican mantra, I live in KY. I doubt very seriously McConnell will get beat despite his horrible poll numbers.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 09:19 am
Wisconsin Abortion Law Signed By Gov. Scott Walker Blocked By Judge

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 06:23 am
Texas Senate Passes Abortion Bill.

Tampons Confiscated, Guns Still Allowed At Texas Capitol Ahead Of Abortion Vote

North Carolina GOP Attaches Abortion Restrictions To Motorcycle Safety Bill With No Public Notice

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 03:40 am
The main liberal strategy for success seems to be having courts invalidate popular votes based on constitutional principles the Constitution never mentions. I'm sure this will be no different. Who cares what the citizens want?
revelette

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:43 am
@Brandon9000,
Until the Supreme Court overturns Roe vs. Wade, states which tries to get around that decision, then those states must be prepared to be challenged in the courts.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 07:33 am
@Brandon9000,
Who cares what's in the US Constitution? Certainly not the state of Texas since they are willing to ignore what the USSC has said is there.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 07:36 am
The Constitution is like a Swiss cheese. The holes in it are for the rats to crawl around in.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:13 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Who cares what's in the US Constitution? Certainly not the state of Texas since they are willing to ignore what the USSC has said is there.

My point is that liberal court justices, when considering major social issues, tend to start from the decision that they want and then use whatever tortured logic is necessary to reach it. They are simply legislating. The Constitution doesn't mention abortion.

Some people think that the idea of citizens and their elected representatives being able to vote for laws they want is important. You've heard of this word, democracy, right? If a segment of the political spectrum frequently has its votes nullified by the courts based on fictitious Constitutional principles, please tell me why they wouldn't be justified in having a violent revolution? If violence isn't justified by having someone take away your right to vote, what would be important enough to justify it?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:21 am
@Brandon9000,
you're gonna revolt?

god bless Texas...
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:22 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you're gonna revolt?

god bless Texas...

As usual, you are incapable of making an actual argument.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:23 am
@Brandon9000,
unwilling.

don't misunderestimate me...
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:26 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

unwilling.

don't misunderestimate me...

Since you decline to actually pose a counter argument to anything I said, I have beaten you in the debate. A "cute" wisecrack is simply a sign that you cannot compete on the level of the actual topic.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:28 am
@Brandon9000,
what part of unwilling do you not understand?

I will attempt to explain it to you in small words.

and I didn't realize we were being graded.

the dog ate my homework...
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:33 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what part of unwilling do you not understand?

I will attempt to explain it to you in small words.

and I didn't realize we were being graded.

the dog ate my homework...

What happens in debate when one party makes an argument and the other is "unwilling" to respond? In an actual debate, the person who was unwilling to debate would be declared the loser. The truth is that you are unable to actually prevail on the basis of the topic. "Unwilling" to respond is just an attempt to disguise "unable" to respond. Next.