new territories west

WBYeats

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:12 pm
eg All these years, thousands of tonnes of rubbish has been dumped in (the) New Territories West/west.

1. Like THE UNITED STATES, we say, referring to a place, THE NEW TERRITORIES, but in this case I'm not sure whether NT has shrunk into an adjective (the existence of THE depending on the noun qualified by this nominal adjective), or the main noun is still NT.... So should I use THE?

2. In this case, West and west, which one is acceptable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 429 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:32 am
@WBYeats,
No one can answer your questions without knowing if the new territories west refers to an actual existent administrative division representing an actual, geographical entity.

As is so often the case with ESL students, you haven't provided sufficient context. From what you have provided, it appears to refer to Hong Kong, but that's all i'm willing to speculate about without further context.
WBYeats

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:57 am
@Setanta,
Quote:it appears to refer to Hong Kong

Yes, it is. The place is called 'the New Territories '.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:04 am
I understood that part, don't patronize me. In that case, it should read the New Territories. Whether or not the word "west" is to be capitalized depends on whether or not there is a formal administrative district known as the New Territories West--in which case "west" is capitalized. You are absolutely wrong to claim that one writes The United States of America. One writes the United States of America. The definite article is not capitalized.

Please take the lesson that these questions cannot be answered with assurance unless you provide more context.
WBYeats

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:22 am
Thank you, Setan~
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:29 am
Today I heard people say:

-In southern states

when referring to the US, shouldn't there be THE before SOUTHERN?
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:34 am
@WBYeats,
No . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You are absolutely wrong to claim that one writes The United States of America. One writes the United States of America. The definite article is not capitalized.

WB didn't claim what you have suggested he claimed, Set. He didn't even write, "The United States of America".

He wrote THE UNITED STATES, using all capitals to point up that which he is talking about. Surely a guy as "sharp" as you has noticed that by now.

Quote:
don't patronize me

Given how just thick you are, a little repetition is in order.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 08:10 pm
Thank you, JTT~

I've come up with another question: will the presence of THE give rise to ambiguity?

eg Flames raced through brush and grass in central Arizona.

Of course we know by context it's the central part of Arizona itself, but when we say

eg President Obama's next leg of his four-nation tour will be at neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

NEIGHBOURING is used to describe Saudi Arabia itself, so

can CENTRAL ARIZONA mean a state in the middle part of the US?
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 09:48 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
so

can CENTRAL ARIZONA mean a state in the middle part of the US?

Most assuredly not, WB. The issue wouldn't arise because it has no basis in reality.
0 Replies