How do you treat a stye?

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:22 pm
Actually, I'm not sure if it's a stye or not. My eyelid started getting sore about two days ago, and now I see a tiny little white spot right on the inner edge of my eyelid. It looks like a pimple. Is this how a stye starts? How do I get rid of this damn thing? A guy I work with had a big disgusting stye on his eye about two weeks ago, and it lasted about a week. I don't want to look like that for a week. It was nasty. Is there any way for me to stop this thing before it gets all swollen and disgusting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 50,419 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:09 am
http://www.healthcentral.com/mhc/top/001009.cfm

Looks like the treatment is warm compresses, and antibiotic creams. I would not use just anything on my eye though. You might need a prescription for a product that is made especially for the eye. Check with your pharmacist, to see if you can get anything over the counter that is appropriate for your condition.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
Don't teabags work? I seem to recall the tannic acid (in regular, not herbal, tea) is helpful. Obviously, the teabag must be wet and not too hot. I'd go with lukewarm and not too drippy and, of course, ask your doc.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
Re: How do you treat a stye?
kickycan wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure if it's a stye or not. My eyelid started getting sore about two days ago, and now I see a tiny little white spot right on the inner edge of my eyelid. It looks like a pimple. Is this how a stye starts? How do I get rid of this damn thing? A guy I work with had a big disgusting stye on his eye about two weeks ago, and it lasted about a week. I don't want to look like that for a week. It was nasty. Is there any way for me to stop this thing before it gets all swollen and disgusting?

Sounds to me like an infection. You might consider seeing an opthalmologist about it to be sure. Cool
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:00 am
Thanks guys. I used a plastic bottle filled with hot water as a compress-type thing for about fifteen minutes last night, and when I woke up today it felt a lot better, and the little white spot is gone. Could it have been a pimple that I just drew out with the heat? I don't know, but it seems to be going away now! Yay!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
kickycan wrote:
Thanks guys. I used a plastic bottle filled with hot water as a compress-type thing for about fifteen minutes last night, and when I woke up today it felt a lot better, and the little white spot is gone. Could it have been a pimple that I just drew out with the heat? I don't know, but it seems to be going away now! Yay!

Where did all the pus go to? Embarrassed
0 Replies

ronaldd

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:18 pm
what causes a stye
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:43 pm
kicky, use a hot washcloth on it three or four times a day for about 5 minutes. It should go away in a couple days.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:47 pm
ronaldd wrote:
what causes a stye

It's an infection of the hair folicle of the eyelash. I can start from rubbing your eyes or it can seem to come from nowhere. Women who get them should discard all of their eye makeup that touches the eyelashes or base (mascara, eyeliner, shadow applicators) because the makeup gets contaminated with the bacteria causing the stye and then reinfection occurs from the makeup. Been using a lot of mascara, kicky?
0 Replies

curlgurl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 05:25 pm
I just got one. I've been wearing dark eye make up for a year and dont like to leave the house without it could that have cosed it and can i continue to wear it while i have the stye?
0 Replies

bloggo

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:18 pm
Rub gold on the stye. Gold ring, necklace, earrings.. it'll be gone in no time!
Razz
0 Replies

nina949

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 04:26 pm
Stye...
Hi, sorry to hear bout your stye but I had mine for over a month. None of those previously written bullshit recipes work...trust me I m so done with this stye Im going to doc in 2 days cant wait to pop that thing. I ma have to charge this stye rent thats how long its been with me.

P.S> dont believe all those made up remedies, if the stye doesnt burst (which sometimes it doesnt) u gotta go to docs thats that none of that bs works...
0 Replies