The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

BillRM

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You wouldn't understand "fairness" if it struck you in the head!

No I am no where near as fair as Sharpton or the hundred thousands or so who have sign a petition to have the Federal government arrested Zimmerman at once under the civil right laws even those all the kingmen and FBI agents could not find a racist bone in his body after a year of looking. Finding even that this so call racist Prom date was a black girl.

Or the Attorney General who had just set up a so call tip email account to try to find dirt any dirt on Zimmerman.

RABEL222

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thats the truest statement made for several pages of posts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:17 pm
@BillRM,
Who cares what Sharpton says? I don't. Besides, we're talking about you and this case.
firefly

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:28 pm
Quote:
Exclusive: Juror pushes for new laws following Zimmerman trial

By Josh Levs. Dana Ford, and Holly Yan, CNN
Wed July 17, 2013

(CNN) -- The woman known as Juror B37 in the George Zimmerman trial released a statement exclusively to CNN Wednesday pushing for new laws.

"My prayers are with all those who have the influence and power to modify the laws that left me with no verdict option other than 'not guilty' in order to remain within the instructions. No other family should be forced to endure what the Martin family has endured," she wrote.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/17/justice/zimmerman-verdict-aftermath/

FOUND SOUL

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:38 pm
@firefly,
This pisses me off in some ways.

In as much as, why the hell have a Jury, a Trial, a Case, when it's evident that due to the "laws" none of the Jury can really control the verdict and walk way with this horrible feeling inside, as they had to comply only with the law, the rules.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason.

But, I think these laws are totally in-adequate and wrong.
firefly

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Who cares what Sharpton says?

BillRM cares because he fears Sharpton's effectiveness as a social/political organizer--that's why he's got to try to discredit or diminish Sharpton--he's scared of the power that Sharpton can harness. BillRM, the confirmed concealed gun-toter, likes Stand Your Ground. He doesn't want these black people threatening his interests or exerting their political power in ways that he doesn't like.

Quote:
Sharpton tells NAACP he'll fight Florida's 'Stand Your Ground'
The Associated Press
July 17, 2013

ORLANDO - Civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton said Wednesday that he is planning to lobby against Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law prior to next month's 50th anniversary of the 1963 march on Washington, D.C.

Sharpton made his comments during a speech on the final day of the NAACP's national convention in Orlando. Flanked by NAACP President Ben Jealous and Martin Luther King III, Sharpton called Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law the "worst violation of civil rights in the country."

Sharpton said he hopes to make Florida a test case for abolishing similar laws in more than a dozen other states. Most of the laws say a person has no duty to retreat if he is attacked in a place he has a right to be and can meet force with force if he fears death or great bodily harm.

Sharpton's comments came a day after Attorney General Eric Holder reiterated to the NAACP that the Justice Department has an open investigation into what he called the "unnecessary shooting" of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

"Until we can overturn 'Stand Your Ground,' we risk more Trayvon Martins," Sharpton told the crowd. "We cannot have our sons' and daughters' lives on the line for anybody who wants to pursue them and shoot them and say it was self-defense."

George Zimmerman was acquitted in nearby Sanford over the weekend of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Martin's February 2012 shooting death. Zimmerman claimed the shooting was in self-defense but his defense did not use the "Stand Your Ground" statute.

Sharpton said his efforts in Florida will start during a three-day conference beginning Tuesday in Miami, organized by his National Action Network.

"Out of that we will plan a Florida initiative around 'Stand Your Ground,' for Sanford and everywhere else. But it will be with a strategy," Sharpton said after his speech. "When I first came to Sanford, it was with a strategy. And I do not believe on just coming in, whipping up emotions without a strategy and plan."

Sharpton was expected to attend a march in Martin's honor Wednesday night, but said he would instead visit with Martin's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin.

However, Sharpton will lead will lead a national "Justice for Trayvon" day in 100 cities this weekend to press for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman. The rallies and vigils will occur in front of federal court buildings at noon Saturday in cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York.

Martin Luther King III echoed Sharpton's efforts and said that some Florida-specific boycotts were also possible.

"We may have to look at not consuming Florida orange juice," he told the crowd.

The comment came a day after musician Stevie Wonder vowed not to hold concerts in states that have "Stand Your Ground" laws.

Jealous said the NAACP doesn't have any plans to boycott orange juice but is ready for an uphill fight in Florida against "Stand Your Ground."

"I think Florida has made itself ground zero for the repeal of 'Stand Your Ground' law," Jealous said. "We don't want to live in the Wild Wild West and be proud of it."

Also in attendance was Rev. Jesse Jackson, who spoke as part of a panel to discuss efforts to reinstate recent changes to the Voting Rights Act as the result of last month's Supreme Court decision.

Jackson said that his biggest fear was that inactivity by groups regarding the recent change could bring about "a radical speed of gerrymandering" that he said drastically change the political landscape.

Sharpton said that part of next week's conference in Miami would also address that issue.

Sharpton said he believes the key to changing the law in Florida and two dozen states around the country is by attacking it legislatively.

"In the '60s, our fathers would go to Alabama to change some of the state laws and then go to Mississippi and then go to Georgia," Sharpton said. "We're mindful of the fact that there is an election here next year, and a lot of people are going to need a lot of votes and a lot of people are gonna have to make a lot of decisions."

Meantime, the NAACP announced it has gathered 1 million signatures on a petition urging the Justice Department to file federal charges, including civil rights charges, against Zimmerman.

The department is reviewing the case, but announced Wednesday - "because of interest in this matter" - that it was asking citizens to provide feedback via email at [email protected].

http://tbo.com/ap/sharpton-tells-naacp-hell-fight-floridas-stand-your-ground-20130717/

The idea of boycotting Florida orange juice is interesting...that might be very effective...
hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
@firefly,
the dirty little secret is that the NAACP has itself been mostly irrelevant for a good decade.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 06:00 pm
@firefly,
I really like that idea; BOYCOTT FLORIDA ORANGE JUICE & THEIR PARKS.

Economic boycott may work, but I doubt it. They'll still authorize the killing of innocent kids.
Brandon9000

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 06:40 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
How come its always whites that are charged with violating a black person civil rights when they kill them?
I have never heard of a black person facing a federal civil rights charge when they kill a white person.

Could that be because more whites exhibit racial motivations when they kill blacks than blacks do when they kill whites?...

Cite your source. I'm sure you believe it, but I think you're basically making this up. It's not murder, granted, but I've had people not of my race utter racial slurs at me for merely walking past them on a sidewalk more than once.
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 06:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon, What world do you live in? You never heard of the lynchings of blacks in the south? The cross burnings in front of black homes, hangings, and dragging blacks in the back of their vehicles. How about toilets and water fountains for whites only? How about blacks sitting in the back of busses?

Never heard of the KKK? You're a joke around here.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 06:59 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Quote:
Exclusive: Juror pushes for new laws following Zimmerman trial

By Josh Levs. Dana Ford, and Holly Yan, CNN
Wed July 17, 2013

(CNN) -- The woman known as Juror B37 in the George Zimmerman trial released a statement exclusively to CNN Wednesday pushing for new laws.

"My prayers are with all those who have the influence and power to modify the laws that left me with no verdict option other than 'not guilty' in order to remain within the instructions. No other family should be forced to endure what the Martin family has endured," she wrote.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/17/justice/zimmerman-verdict-aftermath/
I must agree, with enthusiasm.
We need to tweak the statute so that when an innocent citizen like Zimmy kills in successful self defense,
he will be immune to any such harassment as was inflicted upon him
by the Republican Governor of Florida.

It is bad enuf when a citizen has to defend himself
from man or beast, without government making it WORSE
by going into partnership with the predator, Travon, against the innocent victim.

David
OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Brandon, What world do you live in? You never heard of the lynchings of blacks in the south? The cross burnings in front of black homes, hangings, and dragging blacks in the back of their vehicles. How about toilets and water fountains for whites only? How about blacks sitting in the back of busses?

If there is any JOKE around here, its u, C. I.;
if mental incapacity can be deemed a joke.

The Japs are supposed to be polite.
That appears to surpass your ability.
Maybe your ancestors 'd be ashamed of u for your childish rudeness ??

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I really like that idea; BOYCOTT FLORIDA ORANGE JUICE & THEIR PARKS.

Economic boycott may work, but I doubt it. They'll still authorize the killing of innocent kids.

how did boycotting arizona work out? I have not heard much in the way of Arizona's government deciding that they want to change their opinion of how to deal with mexicans illegally being in their territory due to boycott, or for any other reason for that matter. and arizona does not have the best few theme parks in the world like florida does .....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm talking about 2013.

cicerone imposter wrote:

The fact that you cannot present your ideas without making it personal means only that you cannot defend your ideas based on their merit. It does nothing to show that your position is more true. Quite the reverse. It tends to discredit your ideas.
farmerman

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

We need to tweak the statute so that when an innocent citizen like Zimmy kills in successful self defense,
Why not just legalize murder so that little twirps like you can feel empowered.
BillRM

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Who cares what Sharpton says? I don't. Besides, we're talking about you and this case.

The state of Florida who put on a show trial/political trial at his urging and now the Federal government who is bending over backward to try to figure how to charge a non-racist with a racial hate crime.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
With people like you, making it personal seems appropriate - to show the world your racial bigotry. Mr. Green

Yes, we are talking about 2013, and what still happens to blacks in this country.
You don't notice, because you are a bigot. You defend the atrocious actions against blacks, and I try to advocate for those who still don't have equality.

You'll never figure that one out in a million years.

ossobuco

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:10 pm
Jeffrey Toobin is interesting on his analysis of the dispatcher's conversation with Zimmerman. I read the conversation before when I was sleepy; this time I see a lot of ambiguity I didn't at first.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/07/the-facts-in-the-george-zimmerman-trial.html

OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:12 pm
@farmerman,
DAVID wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Why not just legalize murder so that little twirps like you can feel empowered.
I already have enuf power. Its OK.
What we need to do is safeguard and secure the law of self defense
such that everyone will use it instantly when fighting for their lives,
as Zimmy was, without delay.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:14 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Jeffrey Toobin is interesting on his analysis of the dispatcher's conversation with Zimmerman. I read the conversation before when I was sleepy; this time I see a lot of ambiguity I didn't at first.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/07/the-facts-in-the-george-zimmerman-trial.html

there is nothing ambiguous about it, she had little training and no authority to tell zimmerman or anyone else what to do....her advise is on par with grandma's advice legally.
0 Replies