The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:16 am

0 Replies

firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 09:36 am
The defense is not doing well cross-examining Jayne Surdyka, the neighbor witness who is on the stand right now. In fact, in response to West's questions, she's coming out with statements that are more helpful to the state. But, she's still on the stand...
firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:05 am
The judge will allow the state to introduce 5 previous phone calls Zimmerman made to the police.

An alternate juror has been dismissed--no reason given.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:17 am
@firefly,
This latest witness is simply lying. She's claiming that Zimmerman was on top and, presumably, that all that blood and scars on what not on the top of his head was from Trayvon pounding his head against the sky.

firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:19 am
@gungasnake,
I think she sounds very credible, and she was genuinely emotionally upset by what she witnessed that night--you can hear that on the 911 call she made. All she's doing is giving her recollections. In her mind, she thought the cries for help sounded like they were coming from a young person, a boy rather than an older man. If that's what she was thinking at the time, that's what she was thinking.

She scored for the state. The defense really didn't discredit her.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:25 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

This latest witness is simply lying.

ZOMG! How are you not a witness at the trial?!?!?!?

Oh, wait... you didn't actually witness anything, and she did.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:32 pm
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-update-exclusive-witnesses-tm-on-ground-when-shot-gz-on-top-in-fight//#more

Quote:

More objectively, however, were observation testimony by Sudyka that was clearly contrary to facts known and accepted by everyone else involved in the case. On at least three separate occasions Sudyka referred to the “three shots” fired by Zimmerman–”pop, pop, pop”. No one but her has ever suggested that there was more than a single shot fired.

She testified that it was while she as on the 911 call with police that the shot was fired, sticking to that assertion vigorously. In fact, the 911 recording was played in court–yes, every single 16 minutes of it–and no shot was audible.

She also described the relative positions of Zimmerman and Martin at the moment the shot was fired as being such that the bullet could only have struck Martin in the back (that is, she describes him as laying face down on the ground at that moment, with Zimmerman above him). We know, of course, that Martin was shot in the center chest area, right over the heart, and the bullet did not over-penetrate.

Interestingly, Sudyka also stated several times that the rainfall at the time was quite heavy–’buckets of rain” was the phrase she used, so intense that she needed to close a window to prevent rain from entering her home. This observation favors the defense, which has suggested that the rain may have washed away the traces of blood that several witnesses have said was not evident at the scene. Indeed, so damaging were these statements to the State that Mr. de la Rionda rose on re-direct for the sole purpose of inducing Sudyka to make corrective statements downplaying the intensity of the rainfall.

Sudyka also was insistent that she had heard two voices, one a loud, aggressive, confrontational, dominating voice and the other a softer, meeker voice. She attributed the confrontational voice to Zimmerman and the meeker voice to the “boy,” Martin. It emerged on cross, however, that she had never previously heard either Zimmerman or Martin’s voice, and was making her assignment based on assumptions of how they might sound, not on personal knowledge.

Near the end of cross West asked he if she had appeared on national television to discuss the case, and Sudyka denied this. Really? he asked

Quote:
Sudyka: Well, just the one time on Anderson Cooper, but only on condition that I not be named or identified.

West: Weren’t you also on television another time?

Sudyka: Well, yes, I was videotaped by another journalist.

West: And that was played on TV several times.

Sudyka: I only saw it once.

West: So you were taped, and you saw yourself on TV, that second time?

Sudyka: Yes.

And that was all for Sudyka (except for BDLR’s brief re-direct on the rain issue.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:35 pm
Quote:
Jeannee Nanaloo

Nanaloo’s key testimony on direct was her identification of Zimmerman as the man who was on top during the struggle on the ground, contrary to all other evidence discussed so far in this case. She based this perception on the differing size of the two people, saying that it was the larger person who was on top. Obviously, if correct, this testimony is profoundly inconsistent with the defense’s theory of the case.....
0 Replies

revelette

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:00 pm
I have to admit that last witness for the prosecution is a puzzle. I can't really make her out. It is almost like she was dragged to be involved every step of the way against her will to testify. It is odd that after talking for so long to Trayvon Martin the day he died, on up to the final moments it seems, she didn't make more of an effort to find out why she didn't hear anything else from him that night. She said she thought it was just a fight, but wasn't they were almost had a phone marathon up to that point, you would have thought she would have tried to find out what happened to him that night. Maybe I missed something?
firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:55 pm
@revelette,
She did try to call Trayvon back, she didn't get an answer. He wasn't staying at home, so maybe she didn't know who else to call. And Trayvon's body wasn't identified for a while.

She definitely didn't want to be on the witness stand. If her testimony wasn't so crucial, I doubt the state would have put her on, because she doesn't present well, but she has information that no one else can supply.

On the issue of who was screaming for help, she wasn't definite, but she also didn't say that it didn't sound like Martin--she clearly thought it "could be" Trayvon.

On other points, she was more helpful to the state. She describes Martin as being concerned about this guy who was following him. From her description, Zimmerman did not identify himself to Martin, and it sounds like he was the one who approached Martin, not the other way around, and his tone toward Martin was challenging. Those are important factors in considering whether Zimmerman provoked an altercation, and why Martin might have reacted defensively.

I think this witness was trying to answer the questions, but she really doesn't seem to realize the importance of the exact words she uses in the context of this case--her testimony is very important in this case and she doesn't show much awareness of that, or patience for the process--and her speech is also difficult to understand at times. She can't understand what all the nit-picking is about, and she seems to just find it all tedious, and stressful, and frustrating, and she gets clearly hostile. It's hard to know how the jurors might react to someone like that--regardless of what she says.

It will be interesting to see how she does on cross-examination tomorrow, and on re-direct. She's an unsophisticated high school kid, and she's nervous about being on the stand, and having her every word challenged, and she reacts in a somewhat refreshingly honest and spontaneous manner with her anger and annoyance. She's obviously not the sort of witness the state would wish for, but they need her. Maybe she'll do a little better after a good night's sleep.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:25 pm
Updates:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-trial-day-analysis-and-video-of-states-witnesses//#more

The one witness apparently had been coached by Quinton Tarantino, or at least her testimony sounded sort of like a Tarantino script....

None of these witness have done the persecution any good and they haven't even gotten to defense witnesses yet.
parados

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@gungasnake,
Who cares if they help the persecution. It's the prosecution in a court room they are there to help.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:19 pm
@revelette,
I think that if the defense really rips into this obviously reluctant witness tomorrow, it might backfire with this jury because they might feel more sympathetic toward her.

She was the last person to speak to her friend before he was killed, and the man grilling her is defending the guy who killed her friend, and she knows he's trying to trip her up. So, she's dealing with a lot of emotional stuff, and she'd rather not be a part of any of it. She couldn't even handle going to Trayvon's wake.
Quote:
"You got to understand, you the last person to talk to the person and he died on the phone after you talked to him -- you got to understand what I'm trying to tell you," said Jeantel. "I'm the last person, you don't know how it felt. You think I really want to go see the body after I just talked to him?"
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/26/will-eyewitnesses-help-george-zimmerman--trial-day-3-prosecutors

So, reliving that last conversation with Martin, over and over, for the benefit of all the lawyers, and remembering Trayvon died at the end of it, must be very hard on this young woman. So jurors might discount minor discrepancies in her accounts, chalk them up to her emotional state, and not consider them important to her overall credibility. And they may even see her open expression of anger and frustration as evidence of her honesty--she certainly doesn't seem to be putting on an act. She seems authentic and uncoached. It's hard to tell how jurors might react to her demeanor on the stand--they may disregard it or feel it adds to her credibility. A lot may depend on what goes on tomorrow.

It was also painful and difficult to look at Martin's father crying in the courtroom as this witness recounted his son's last words. There's a lot of emotion in that courtroom.
gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 09:03 pm
more...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3036133/posts
firefly

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 09:06 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
None of these witness have done the persecution any good

What makes you say that? They have all provided some evidence.

Do you have any reactions of your own to the trial, or are you just going to post other people's opinions? Are you even watching the trial?
gungasnake

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 09:27 pm
@firefly,

Quote:
Do you have any reactions of your own to the trial, or are you just going to post other people's opinions?

My reaction?? Sure. This is great stuff, I mean nobody could make this kind of **** up and they haven't even gotten to the defense witnesses yet. I'd almost be willing to bet money that we see the one witness in Tarantino flicks within two years:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/witness-trayvon-called-george-zimmerman-a-creepy-ass-white-kill-my-neighbors-cracker/

One of my more bigoted associates thought this chick looked like "a gorilla with a mop on her head".
revelette

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:14 am
@firefly,
I think despite her obvious reluctance to be involved, her words to have a ring of truth to them because she is not censoring her words to be helpful to the prosecution and admitting to lying about her age and being in the hospital. I am beginning to think the defenses strategy with her is to wear her down with boredom based on his previous experience with her.

I am trying to remember key evidence she did present, being so distracted with her person, it is hard to remember.
firefly

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:45 am
@revelette,
Hers is some of the most crucial testimony in the trial, revelette.

Quote:
The credibility of Jeantel’s testimony is crucial, because it establishes George Zimmerman as the aggressor, and contradicts the defense’s contention that Mr. Zimmerman did not pursue Trayvon Martin after the police dispatcher instructed him that they didn’t need him to do that. The phone call also represents a two-minute overlap between the time Zimmerman hung up with the dispatcher, and when he made contact with Trayvon Martin.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/witness-trayvon-called-george-zimmerman-a-creepy-ass-white-kill-my-neighbors-cracker/

The fact she lied about her age and being in the hospital really doesn't alter her credibility about the last phone conversation with Martin and what she heard. She admits she lied about those things, and her reasons for doing so are understandable. The defense has to try to rattle her about that conversation, because that's what's most damaging to Zimmerman. The last thing she heard Trayvon say was, "Get off of me." That points to Zimmerman as the aggressor.
Quote:
her words to have a ring of truth to them because she is not censoring her words to be helpful to the prosecution

I agree with you. She's also not censoring the words Trayvon used to paint him in a better light. To the extent the jury believes her, she can undermine the defense's entire case. She's one of the state's most crucial witnesses. And the fact she is so reluctant to testify adds to her credibility--she'd clearly rather not be there, even to help the prosecution.

So the defense has a lot riding on their ability to discredit her testimony today.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:09 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
One of my more bigoted associates

Which spawns a number of thoughts, such as:

Holy ****, there's someone that Gunga calls bigoted?

and

Why the **** would someone choose to associate with Gunga?
revelette

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:43 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Why the **** would someone choose to associate with Gunga?

Birds of a feather?
0 Replies