The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

hawkeye10

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:53 am
@revelette,
is it possible to put together 5 americans who care what holder thinks? the man does his day job so poorly that he really should refrain from taking on more duties.
oralloy

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:59 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Who or what does he eventually sue for malicious prosecution? Corey, delaRhumba, the state of flori-duh, all of the above or what exactly?

To sue for malicious prosecution, the state would likely have to wave immunity for the prosecutor (like they did for the prosecutor in that Duke case).

If Zimmerman were to sue the state, he would likely do so in federal court based on the violation of his civil rights. But since he was acquitted, I'm not sure the damages would be all that great.

If he did sue, he'd probably sue all of the above, though the state would likely be the one paying the damages in the end.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:01 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
On Tuesday evening, Robert Zimmerman, brother of George Zimmerman, responded to reports that Eric Holder’s Department of Justice had solicited the public for information about George that could help a federal civil rights prosecution. The DOJ has even set up an email address for tips on Zimmerman.

It might be a PR stunt, so that when the feds eventually fail to charge Zimmerman with anything, anyone who complains can be told that they should phone in a tip if they think they know something that the government doesn't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:01 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
He seems to be focusing attention on the stand your ground laws which "fixed something that was never broken." In my opinion he gave a really good, thoughtful, and intelligent speech yesterday at the NAACP Annual Convention concerning stand your ground laws and other issues.

Holder just hates our freedom.

If he wants to take another go at the Constitution, the NRA will defeat him again.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:21 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
is it possible to put together 5 americans who care what holder thinks?
Well, we can put together 1 guy
who cares what he thinks,
but we are not sure that he is an American.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:23 am
@oralloy,
revelette wrote:
He seems to be focusing attention on the stand your ground laws which "fixed something that was never broken." In my opinion he gave a really good, thoughtful, and intelligent speech yesterday at the NAACP Annual Convention concerning stand your ground laws and other issues.
oralloy wrote:

Holder just hates our freedom.

If he wants to take another go at the Constitution, the NRA will defeat him again.
Do u think he is a closet Moslem ?
oralloy

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Do u think he is a closet Moslem ?

I doubt it, but I make no distinction between a gun control advocate and a 9/11 hijacker.
gungasnake

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:50 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Martin was dead the minute Zimmerman targeted him.

No competent farmer would tolerate a statement that stupid from a farm animal. A pig or chicken which made a' claim like that would be shot through the head and used for fertilizer.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:00 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I seriously doubt Holder said anything so silly as to say you must run outside your home if you are invaded. He was clarifying that he was speaking of confrontations which happens outside the home which is why it was in between commas.

Quote:
But we must examine laws that take this further by eliminating the common sense and age-old requirement that people who feel threatened have a duty to retreat, outside their home, if they can do so safely.
In D.C. v. HELLER 554 U.S. 570 (2008)
the USSC said: ". . . Putting all of these textual elements together,
we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess
and carry weapons in case of confrontation
. "
[Emfasis has been added by David.]

The purpose of carrying weapons (as Zimmy was Constitutionally doing)
is to USE them, whether Holder approves or not.
Guns are like fire extinguishers; u use them when necessary,
but u can also run away, if u wanna.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:04 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I doubt it, but I make no distinction between a gun control advocate and a 9/11 hijacker.

That includes Obarmy and Bidet. gunga's remark to izzy is more applicable to your statement oralloy than it is to izzy's.

You're a gun control advocate yourself in case you don't know. Bloody background checks! How wimpy is that?
Thomas

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:09 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
How would you suggest that black parents teach their children how not to be racially profiled? Disguise theit skin color?

In Florida, black parents should teach their children to shoot so they can kill the racial profiler first and then claim self-defense. Sure, this may sound insane. But under Florida's current laws around standing your ground and defending yourself, that's the logical next step.
gungasnake

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:09 am
http://nationalreview.com/article/353633/angela-coreys-checkered-past-ian-tuttle/page/0/1?splash

The Nature of Angela Corey

Quote:

Shortly after Dershowitz’s criticisms, Harvard Law School’s dean’s office received a phone call. When the dean refused to pick up, Angela Corey spent a half hour demanding of an office-of-communications employee that Dershowitz be fired. According to Dershowitz, Corey threatened to sue Harvard, to try to get him disbarred, and also to sue him for slander and libel. Corey also told the communications employee that she had assigned a state investigator — an employee of the State of Florida, that is — to investigate Dershowitz. “That’s an abuse of office right there,” Dershowitz says.

What happened in the weeks and months that followed was instructive. Dershowitz says that he was flooded with correspondence from people telling him that this is Corey’s well-known M.O. He says numerous sources — lawyers who had sparred with Corey in the courtroom, lawyers who had worked with and for her, and even multiple judges — informed him that Corey has a history of vigorously attacking any and all who criticize her. But it’s worse than that: Correspondents told him that Corey has a history of overcharging and withholding evidence.
The Zimmerman trial is a clear case of the former and a probable case of the latter. Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder, also known as “depraved mind” murder. The case law for that charge, an attorney who has worked in criminal prosecution outside Florida tells me, is near-unanimous: It almost never applies to one-on-one encounters. Second-degree murder is the madman who fires indiscriminately into a crowd or unlocks the lions’ cage at the zoo. “Nothing in the facts of this case approaches that.” Which Angela Corey, a veteran prosecutor, should have known, and a grand jury would have told her. In fact, both the initial police investigation and the original state attorney in charge of the case had determined exactly that: There was no evidence of any crime, much less second-degree murder

But that did not stop Corey from zealously overcharging and — the facts suggest — withholding evidence to ensure that that charge stuck.

Still, by the end of the case it was clear that the jury was unlikely to convict Zimmerman of second-degree murder; hence the prosecution’s addition of a manslaughter charge — as well as its attempt to add a charge for third-degree murder by way of child abuse — after the trial had closed. “In 50 years of practice I’ve never seen anything like it,” says Dershowitz. It’s a permissible maneuver, but as a matter of professional ethics it’s a low blow.

Corey’s post-trial performance has been less than admirable as well. Asked in a prime-time interview with HLN how she would describe George Zimmerman, Corey responded, “Murderer.” Attorneys who spoke with me called her refusal to acknowledge the validity of the jury’s verdict everything from “disgusting” to “disgraceful.”

But will Corey ever be disciplined for prosecutorial abuses? It’s unlikely. State attorneys cannot be brought before the bar while they remain in office. Complaints can be filed against Corey, but they will be deferred until she is no longer state attorney. The governor can remove her from office, but otherwise her position — and her license — are safe.

Meanwhile, those who speak out against her continue to be mistreated. Ben Kruidbos (pronounced CRIED-boss), the IT director at Corey’s state-attorney office, was fired last week — one month after testifying during the Zimmerman trial that Corey had withheld from defense attorneys evidence obtained from Trayvon Martin’s cell phone. Corey’s office contends that Kruidbos was fired for poor job performance and for leaking personnel records. The termination notice delivered to Kruidbos last Friday read: “You have proven to be completely untrustworthy. Because of your deliberate, wilful and unscrupulous actions, you can never again be trusted to step foot in this office.” Less than two months before this letter, Kruidbos had received a raise for “meritorious performance.”

The records in question — Kruidbos maintains he had nothing to do with leaking them — revealed that Corey used $235,000 in taxpayer money to upgrade her pension and that of her co-prosecutor in the Zimmerman case, Bernie de la Rionda. The upgrade was legal, but Harry Shorstein, Corey’s predecessor, had said previously that using taxpayer funds to upgrade pensions was not “proper.”

Meanwhile, while Kruidbos has been forced out of the state attorney’s office, the managing director who wrote his termination letter — one Cheryl Peek — remains. In 1990 Peek was fired from the same state attorney’s office by Harry Shorstein’s predecessor, Ed Austin, for jury manipulation. Now, as managing director for that office, she trains lawyers in professional ethics.

Since her election, Corey seems to be determinedly purging from the ranks any who cross her and surrounding herself with inferiors whose ethical scruples appear to mirror her own. Meanwhile, those she chooses to victimize — most recently, George Zimmerman — far too often have little recourse.

“Make crime pay,” Will Rogers once quipped: “Become a lawyer.” Angela Corey seems to be less interested in making crime pay than in making her critics pay.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:13 am
I've always told head-hunters that I had no interest in jobs in Californicatia or Flori-duh. Some behave as if in states of shock that there might be people who didn't want to live in those places... In the case of Flori-duh, a big part of it is the Flori-duh legal system. I mean there's still the one guy (Fuster) rotting in a Flori-duh prison for **** that never happened (Janet Reno's witchcraft tribunals)...
firefly

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Killing black people isn't really a crime in Florida where people like BillRM reside, and see lynching as part of their heritage.

And they obviously think the death penalty is justified in response to a punch in the nose.

Once some gun-toting vigilante sizes up an unarmed innocent black high school kid as one of those "f--king punks", that kid has no right to self-defense, even if he feels menaced and stalked, and his needless death is just collateral damage in the defense of macho pride and the right to pack a concealed weapon so you'll always be ready to go after the next one.

If Trayvon had been white, and Zimmerman black, do you think Zimmerman would have not been arrested the night of the shooting?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AerVxhjt6fM/Ucp9PLfvF3I/AAAAAAAAccw/5qB5xbSU-tk/s320/if+trayvon+martin+were+white.jpg

MontereyJack

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:58 am
@gungasnake,
snaKKKe says:
Quote:
I've always told head-hunters that I had no interest in jobs in Californicatia or Flori-duh

That noise that sounded like a gust of wind, wasn't. It was the sound of fifteen million people or so in California and Florida giving a huge sigh of relief at Gunga's declaration. Renounce Massachusetts publicly too, snaKKKe, and cheers will resound throughout the Eastern Seaboard.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:59 am
@firefly,
Only racial bigots wouldn't understand the difference.
Can you imagine all the white mothers of their teenage children being afraid that some nut with a gun will shoot them dead?
BillRM

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Can you imagine all the white mothers of their teenage children being afraid that some nut with a gun will shoot them dead?

Hopefully the mothers of children of all races will teach their children not to attacks others even if they are guilty of annoying them by say following them on a public street.

Without the assault of Zimmerman by Trayvon, he would now be an 18 years old teenagers with his life ahead of him.
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:21 pm
@BillRM,
You've got who assaulted who confused - as usual.

The guy with the gun was the assailant. The boy was walking home from the store.

So, I'm asking white mothers how they would feel if their child was killed in a similar manner; killed while walking home from the store.
BillRM

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The guy with the gun was the assailant. The boy was walking home from the store.

Not from the evidence I saw and the jury saw!!!!!!

The poor boy got annoyed at being followed and attacked the man with the gun knocking him down and then raining blows on him and pounding his head on the sidewalk and oh interfering with the man ability to breathe.

Then reaching for the man with the gun, weapon before the man fire one round.

Not repeat not one mark of the poor boy body except for the one bullet hole and damage to his fists cause by pounding the man with the gun where the man with the gun have indications of being beaten.

Without the attacked by the poor "boy" he would still be alive.

OmSigDAVID

Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Killing black people isn't really a crime in Florida
where people like BillRM reside,
A lot depends on what thay are DOING when we kill them.

firefly wrote:
and see lynching as part of their heritage.
And they obviously think the death penalty
is justified in response to a punch in the nose.
U mis-represent what we "obviously think".
I think that we need not reach that question
because the danger was disposed of in exercise of our right of SELF DEFENSE.

firefly wrote:
Once some gun-toting vigilante sizes up an unarmed innocent black high school kid as one of those "f--king punks", that kid has no right to self-defense, even if he feels menaced and stalked, and his needless death is just collateral damage in the defense of macho pride and the right to pack a concealed weapon so you'll always be ready to go after the next one.
U have relinquished intellect in favor of hysteria.
Hopefully, that is a temporary condition.
U 'd have preferred a homicide conviction
with no evidence other than speculative emotional fluff.

firefly wrote:
If Trayvon had been white, and Zimmerman black,
do you think Zimmerman would have not been arrested the night of the shooting?
Anyone and everyone who was guilty
of what he did (attempted murder) deserves what he got,
including whites, including ME, if I were stupid enuf
to do that. I 'd not even have gotten mad in his circumstance.
He deserved what he got; we are all safer for his absence.
Zimmy deserves a GOLD MEDAL and a better gun than his puny 9mm Kel Tec !
I suggest a short barreled .44 caliber revolver, ideally loaded with hollowpointed slugs.

David