The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:52 am
@mysteryman,
You wrote,
Quote:
Last time I checked, a jury is supposed to be made up of the accused persons peers, not the victims.

You checked wrong. Both the prosecuting and defense attorneys approve the members of the jury.

Which Stupid School did you attend?
mysteryman

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know that both sides have to approve the jury, that was not my point.
Your silly insult notwithstanding, you knew exactly what I meant.

While the prosecution does have to approve the jury also, an accused is tried by a jury of "his peers".
A jury is not made up solely of the victims peers, nor is it made up solely of the accused peers.

For Jesse Jackson to blame the jury, and for him to say the jury wasn't a fair jury, simply because he didn't like the verdict, shows ignorance on his part, not mine.
revelette

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:08 pm
In any event, (not a fan of Jessie Jackson) since blacks only make up 11% of Seminole County Fl., the chances were pretty good there were not going to be a lot blacks on the jury. Besides, Zimmerman is Hispanic.

I thought the following a particularly insensitive remark to make as well as flat out wrong.

Defense lawyer claims if Zimmerman was black he would not have been charged with killing Trayvon Martin

Frank Apisa

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I mentioned that if Zimmerman were found "Not Guilty" I would be disappointed.

I am disappointed.

is this the same "disappointed" as when a student gets a D on a crap term paper?

No.

Quote:
can you argue that this result is not the correct result?

Yes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I am disappointed.
I consider u to be a sadist;
i.e., a man who derives pleasure from the pain of others.

U wanted to see your fellow American lose the next 30 years of his life.

I disapprove of that.

David

I am not a sadist by any means...and I suspect you really do not think I am.

I am disappointed with the verdict. Zimmerman killed a young man...and should pay a price for having done so.

In any case, I think he will pay a huge price anyway. My guess his life is garbage from this day on. I get no joy out of it. But I think that the life he will lead will be a greater justice than he got from the jury.
JLNobody

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I agree.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I think he will pay a huge price anyway. My guess his life is garbage from this day on.

the loony race obsessed victim culture promoting left are not the only people around, zimmerman has supporters who will make sure that he is OK. the more the loony left makes a martyr out of him the more the loony right will come to his aid.
revelette

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:06 pm
Quote:
SMILEY: It appears to me, and I think many other persons in this country that you can in fact stand your ground unless you are a black man. George Zimmerman was allowed to stand his ground, Trayvon Martin was not allowed to stand his ground.

Smiley draws on Dr. King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech; discusses racial profiling of Trayvon Martin

SMILEY: In that speech you will recall the one line that we all seem to know…”I want my children to one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” George Zimmerman knew nothing of Trayvon Martin’s character. All he saw was his color. Something is wrong in this nation. Fifty years after the March on Washington, while the Voting Rights Act is being gutted, speaking of the Justice Department, what they’ll do about that perhaps, something is wrong when adults can racially profile children.

source

(Before anyone says he was not a child, he just 17 turned 21 days before he was shot and killed, not old enough to buy a gun, drink or the senior prom.)
OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think he will pay a huge price anyway. My guess his life is garbage from this day on.
hawkeye10 wrote:
the loony race obsessed victim culture promoting left are not the only people around, zimmerman has supporters
who will make sure that he is OK. the more the loony left makes a martyr out of him the more the loony right will come to his aid.
I agree with u, Hawkeye.
He will be hail fellow, well met; he's a hero.

He may get some objections; I think that 's kinda fun.

He might well be violently attacked by vengeful blacks
and have to do it all over again. Interesting.

David
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:17 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

...You can't walk around, playing neighborhood vigilante, while packing a gun, and shoot and kill unarmed minors, who aren't even trespassing, and not expect to be held answerable and legally accountable for your actions...

He wasn't necessarily playing neighborhood vigilante. He was a member of a neighborhood watch group, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to be. Zimmerman's claim is that he was under attack and in fear for his life or physical integrity. If that is the truth, then he was justified in firing the gun. You cannot use the mere fact that he was in a neighborhood watch group and that Martin may not have been doing anything wrong before to argue that the killing was unjustified if, in fact, Martin did beat Zimmerman. People are actually allowed to defend their lives in the US.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:21 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
For the rest of his life, Zimmerman will have to worry
"worry"?? not if he has decent emotional control

firefly wrote:
that someone might be watching and following him,
with malice in their heart,
[??] How many share the same heart??
Zimmy shud get some better guns.
I recommend .44 caliber revolvers, with short barrels.

firefly wrote:
and a gun in their waistband,
Carrying Mexican, too cheap to spring for a holster ?
Thay all share the same waistband??

firefly wrote:
and he'll know how Trayvon Martin felt that night over and over again...
Travon was the VIOLENT one.
His death was de facto suicide. By his attempted murder,
he brought it on himself. He was too dangerous.
Thanks to Zimmy, not any more. We are safe from him.

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:25 pm
@mysteryman,
When they say "peers," they mean the general public - and not the government.

Quote:
Definitions of 'peers' [peer]
Dictionary.com - (Showing 2 definitions)
(intransitive verb)
1. to look searchingly or with difficulty
(noun)
1. person who is the equal of another
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

In any event, (not a fan of Jessie Jackson) since blacks only make up 11% of Seminole County Fl., the chances were pretty good there were not going to be a lot blacks on the jury. Besides, Zimmerman is Hispanic.

I thought the following a particularly insensitive remark to make as well as flat out wrong.

Defense lawyer claims if Zimmerman was black he would not have been charged with killing Trayvon Martin

Is it our job to be SENSITIVE ??
Is it HIS job to be sensitive??
Did he agree to do that??
Does someone pay him to be sensitive??

For sure, the remark is 1OO% true.
The police let him go, because there was no crime,
except that perpetrated by decedent (attempted murder).
Al Sharpton et al wud not have cared about it
if 2 blacks or 2 whites fought and did the same thing.
This was 1OO% pure racial motivation.

The blacks shud be condemned for it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:43 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I fear collectivism; I fear authoritarianism.
farmerman wrote:
The prosecution has a lot to answer for in that it never really walked the standards of the case in front of the jury. It tried its case and the judge qnd the attornies argued the "manslaughter option" without the jury present. I blame the prosecution for NOT talking to the jury about the standards and bases of the law that dictate each possible verdict.
The DOJ suspects a poor prosecution also nd is looking into civil rights violations perped by Zimmerman on an innocent youth.
I deem it unlikely (c.40%) that Obama wants his doj
to continue this. He probably knows that the American public is sick of this.
In the alternative, he might want to please his own racial stock.

I 'd LOVE to see this case end up in front of the USSC,
for it to flesh out its holding in HELLER qua self defense
being the core value of the 2nd Amendment. YUMMY!!!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Well, I am starting to look at the whole thing in terms of my young granddaughters, what if someone starts a fight with them, they hit back and then that person pulls out a gun shoots them? I guess everyone needs to start carrying guns in their pockets, apparently even minors and just hope they get their gun off first and accurately.
The controlling consideration
is WHO became violent first??

Following someone is a peaceful, lawful, moral, decent act.
Beating someone's head on the street is not,
and it is a really nifty reason to kill the headbeater ASAP.
I suggest that u tell them not to beat people 's heads on the cement.

David
oralloy

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I am disappointed.

is this the same "disappointed" as when a student gets a D on a crap term paper? can you argue that this result is not the correct result?

I doubt he can. Has Frank Apisa ever done anything but spew lie after outright lie?
0 Replies

ABE5177

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
USSC??? can he get retreied on fededral dscrimination cahrges?

OmSigDAVID

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
SMILEY: It appears to me, and I think many other persons in this country that you can in fact stand your ground unless you are a black man. George Zimmerman was allowed to stand his ground, Trayvon Martin was not allowed to stand his ground.

Smiley draws on Dr. King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech; discusses racial profiling of Trayvon Martin

SMILEY: In that speech you will recall the one line that we all seem to know…”I want my children to one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” George Zimmerman knew nothing of Trayvon Martin’s character. All he saw was his color. Something is wrong in this nation. Fifty years after the March on Washington, while the Voting Rights Act is being gutted, speaking of the Justice Department, what they’ll do about that perhaps, something is wrong when adults can racially profile children.
revelette wrote:

source

(Before anyone says he was not a child, he just 17 turned 21 days before he was shot and killed, not old enough to buy a gun, drink or the senior prom.)
When I was 17, for sure I did not consider myself to be a child.
I got my first gun at age 8.
I drank if I felt like it (not much drinking).
No interest in proms, at any age.

David
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
he just 17 turned 21 days before he was shot and killed, not old enough to buy a gun, drink or the senior prom.)

I was 16 when I went to my senior prom, so 17 is old enough to go
oralloy

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 02:08 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I think the reason the prosecution lost the case was that they never really had an answer for the holes in Zimmerman's story.

What holes are these?

revelette wrote:
Perhaps it wasn't enough to simply prove Zimmerman lied, which was true and was proven,

What evidence proves this? Are you referring to the allegations that he tried to prevent his legal funds from being depleted by increased bail requirements?

revelette wrote:
they had to come up with who exactly threw the first punch. After all this time, no one really knows for sure and I suppose that is why he was found not guilty. Since the prosecution didn't have an alternate theory which could be supported by facts, I guess the jury decided they had to give the defendant the benefit of the doubt even though his story was not born out by the facts.

What facts contradict his story?
0 Replies