The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

Baldimo

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:18 pm
@firefly,
Can you not honestly look at Martin's school record and think he is a good kid? How many times did you get kicked out of high school?

How many high school kids have womans wedding rings in their school bags along with a screwdriver? You answer me this and we can have an honest talk.

Martin might not have been up to anything that night, but when you start throwing punches at a complete stranger then you have coming what you get. Sure put the blame on Zimmerman for patrolling his neighborhood at night making sure there is no more crime in the area, but Martin shares the blame for starting the fight.
revelette

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:28 pm
@Baldimo,
You make quite a leap from saying because Trayvon Martin had a couple of suspensions, he must of have started the fight. We don't know how the fight started and Zimmerman sure wasn't aware of Martin's past when he stalked him.
revelette

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:35 pm
George Zimmerman's Biggest Defender: A Racist With a Criminal Past

In April 2012, two days before George Zimmerman was arrested for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, he huddled with a fellow neighborhood watch volunteer, Frank Taaffe. According to Taaffe, who disclosed the meeting on Fox News, Zimmerman asked him to share "several talking points" with the media. Taaffe obliged. Indeed, as Zimmerman's legal drama unfolded over the next year and a half, Taaffe emerged as his most visible and outspoken defender. He gave hundreds of interviews to media outlets, ranging from the New York Times to Fox News to CNN, and made near-daily appearances on cable news shows during Zimmerman's trial.

Taaffe used this platform to cast Martin as a drug-addled hoodlum and Zimmerman as a community-minded do-gooder ("the best neighbor you would want to have") who had every reason to suspect the black teen was up to mischief. He also railed against Zimmerman's critics, whom he accused of staging a witch hunt. "It's really sad that he has already been convicted in the public media and has already been sentenced to the gas chamber," he lamented in an interview with NBC's Miami affiliate last year.

Taaffe was hardly the ideal person to be weighing in on a case suffused with racial angst—or commenting on criminal-justice matters, period. A Mother Jones investigation has found that the 56-year-old New York native has a lengthy criminal record that includes charges of domestic violence and burglary, and a history of airing virulently racist views. Just last Sunday, he appeared on The White Voice, a weekly podcast hosted by a man named Joe Adams, who has deep, long-standing ties to white-power groups and has authored a manual called Save The White People Handbook. (Sample quote: "A mutt makes a great pet and a mulatto makes a great slave.")

During a previous White Voice appearance, on July 27, Taaffe argued that whites and blacks have no business mingling. ("They don't want to be with us and we don't want to be with them.") Taaffe also opined that if Zimmerman had racially profiled Martin, he was justified in doing so because "young black males" had burglarized homes in their neighborhood. "What if I—a middle-aged white man—wore a hoodie and went through Trayvon Martin's neighborhood?" he asked defiantly. Adams replied that "no sane white person" would dare walk down their "local Marcus Garvey Boulevard."

I'd only be there for one or two things," Taaffe shot back. "And I'm sure the vice squad would want to be interested in that."

Later, Taaffe accused African Americans of committing "self-genocide" by failing to address the "ills and diseases that are festering" in the black community—especially the absence of black fathers, which "leaves young black males growing up without direction." And he bemoaned the fact that some white women choose to date black men, saying that they invariably end up becoming single mothers. "Guess who winds up paying the tab on that? You and me and the rest of America," Taaffe grumbled. "It's called entitlement, man. It's called food stamps. It's called welfare."

By the end of the show, Taaffe was so worked up that he was calling for a revolution. "This trial is waking up white America, man," he said. "I'm fed up with the bullshit and the glad-handing to this one group of people who now control what we do and say. Come on, man, wake up America!"

Taaffe's private Twitter feed (@pinsones) also reeks of racial animus. In one tweet, he bashed Michael Skolnik, who directs hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons' political operations, saying "how much nigga cock do u suck an one day or maybe u like it pounded up ur hebe ass." In another he wrote, "the only time a black life is validated is when a white person kills them."

Asked about his history of racially charged remarks, Taaffe made no apologies. "There is a thing called First Amendment speech," he said. "I have freedom to opine on current social issues, and I'm not going to be restricted." He reeled off statistics about black crime and out-of-wedlock births. "I'm not going on some Tom Metzger-David Duke tangent," he added. "I'm merely echoing the suppressed voices in this country that have been beleaguered by affirmative action and crimes committed by that particular group of people."

These kinds of extreme racial views infused Taaffe's media commentary. He told the New York Times that his gated community had been burglarized by "Trayvon-like dudes with their pants down" and taunted his black fellow talk show guests with race-tinged jibes. On a recent episode of HLN's Dr. Drew on Call, the topic turned to racial profiling. Taaffe shouted down a fellow panelist and launched into a bizarre diatribe: "You know, Whitey, us…we've had a little bit of slavery, too," he said. "Back in 1964 or 1965, then-President Johnson signed an executive order; it was called affirmative action. And you want to talk about slavery?" Taaffe's fellow guests seemed stunned that he'd been given a national platform to broadcast these ideas. "It's like every word that comes out of his mouth is a turd falling in my drink," said African American radio personality Brian Copeland. "I don't understand why he's allowed to go on like he does."

CNN and its sister network, HLN, have repeatedly invited Taaffe to weigh in on legal and technical aspects of the Zimmerman case, from the implications of witness testimony to the meaning of forensic evidence, such as the grass stains found on Martin's pants. Taaffe sparred on-air with attorneys about the finer points of criminal law and tangled with forensic experts—including Lawrence Kobilinsky, the chair of the science department at John Jay College of Criminal Justice—over whether the small quantity of THC in Martin's blood could have made him violent. (Taaffe insisted that it could; Kobilinsky called this argument a "red herring.")

When Valerie Rao, Jacksonville, Florida's chief medical examiner, testified during the trial that Zimmerman's injuries were minor enough to be treated with Band-Aids—an assertion that cast doubt on Zimmerman's claims that Martin had bashed his head repeatedly on the sidewalk—Taaffe appeared on the Nancy Grace show and argued that Rao was dead wrong. "George was experiencing trauma!" Taaffe insisted. "He was having many concussions with each blow to his head. And he was entering into a state of unconsciousness where he was seeing his life flash before him."

After the prosecution released surveillance video from 7-Eleven showing Martin behaving normally as he shopped for Skittles and Arizona Ice Tea just before his death, Taaffe went on HLN’s Jane Velez-Mitchell show and muddied the water. Something could have happened in the intervening minutes to change Martin's mood, he argued. "Also, they found a cigarette lighter and $40 on him," Taaffe said, ominously. "He wasn't employed. You know, who gave him the $40?"

Taaffe isn't the first member of Zimmerman's circle to be caught making racially charged statements. In March, Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr. (another outspoken defender), tweeted a photo of a black Georgia teenager who allegedly murdered a one-year-old boy with a gunshot to the face, alongside a picture of Trayvon Martin. Both teens were flipping off the camera. The caption read, "A picture speaks a thousand words. Any questions?"

In Taaffe's case, though, the comments about blacks' supposed criminality are thick with irony. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Orange County Clerk of Courts, Taaffe has been arrested or faced criminal charges nearly a dozen times and logged at least two convictions. Last year, Taaffe was taken into custody for driving under the influence. He pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of reckless driving related to alcohol use and received six months' probation. He's also been charged with battery and two cases of "repeat violence." (Taaffe told Mother Jones that these were "frivolous" charges filed by "disgruntled" former coworkers.)

Many of the other entries on Taaffe's rap sheet stem from domestic-violence complaints filed by his second wife and their son. In 2000, he was arrested for burglary—the very crime he alleges "young black males" were committing in his community—after allegedly swiping some papers from his ex-wife's home. Taaffe pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of trespassing, and was sentenced to nine months in prison*. According to police reports, he was later charged with stalking and with child abuse after his son, William, jumped out of a moving car, allegedly to escape his father's angry, profanity-laced tirade. Taaffe maintains these charges stemmed from false complaints filed by his then-wife, who persuaded William to corroborate the accusations so she could get more assets in their divorce. "She used my son as leverage against me for her own personal and monetary gain," he told Mother Jones.

Taaffe—who has railed against absentee black fathers—was a marginal figure in the lives in his own children. Vincent, his eldest son from his first marriage, who died in a car crash last year, didn't speak to him. (Taaffe says this was because Vincent was outraged over his involvement in the Zimmerman case: "I was ostracized by members of my own family for supporting George.") William, who struggled with addiction and emotional problems after his parents' brutal divorce, cycled in and out of rehab before dying of a drug overdose in 2008. According to a source close to the family who provided photocopies, he left behind an angst-filled notebook, with these words scrawled across the final pages: "**** you, Dad, I never thought a father could be so bad…I'm your son, the one you ditched."

Now that the Zimmerman trial is over, Taaffe has no plans to abandon his crusade. He recently launched a website, where he intends to blog about issues including affirmative action and criminal justice. And he has teamed up with The White Voice to peddle "Taaffe's Got Your Back!" T-shirts, which feature a photo of Taaffe snarling and brandishing his fist. ("All of the profits go to Frank," The White Voice's website notes.) Taaffe told Mother Jones that he's also "looking into" the case of Michael Dunn, the Jacksonville man who is accused of fatally shooting an unarmed black 17-year-old at a gas station after arguing with the teen over loud music. "My work is not done yet. I have a myriad of cases that people are calling me to help them on," Taaffe said. "If we all took the time to stand up for people who we believe in our heart of hearts were innocent, this country would be a much greater place."
Baldimo

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:45 pm
@revelette,
There were no marks on Martin, only on Zimmerman. If Zimmerman started the fight how come Martin has no marks? Even shoving someone would leave some sort of mark, and the autopsy said there were no marks on Martin except for the bullet wound.
revelette

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:20 pm
@Baldimo,
Merely shoving someone would not always leave a mark, neither does hitting always leave a mark. Also as some have said, it could have been a struggle over the gun. Instead of reaching for his cell phone like he claimed, he could have reached for his gun, a fight commenced and in that struggle, Zimmerman got a bloody nose and two small abrasions on the back of his head, and Trayvon Martin got dead.

firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
How many high school kids have womans wedding rings in their school bags along with a screwdriver?

I can't say I know or care. Wedding rings are unlikely as a stash of burglarized jewelry--it's the sort of thing people wear, not leave at home to be stolen--and Martin said they didn't belong to him, that he was holding them for someone, and there is no evidence they were stolen. I have a long screwdriver in my car--does that make me a burglar? And none of this is at all relevant to anything about his death.
Quote:
Can you not honestly look at Martin's school record and think he is a good kid? How many times did you get kicked out of high school?

Actually, when I was in high school, they didn't suspend kids for things like tardiness, which was one of the reasons Martin received a suspension. Had they done that, I probably would never have graduated, I rarely got to school on time. And I was a good kid...mostly. Laughing Look I did my share of horsing around in high school, and so do a lot of kids.

Trayvon Martin was not an anti-social kid--he had no record of criminal behavior, or disruptive behavior, or aggressive behaviors, despite all the innuendo and character-trashing that the right-wing rumor machine has put forth on the internet--the macho posturings and bravado of male adolescents on the social media isn't something anyone should take seriously. He also wasn't an angry kid--his English teacher said he "majored in cheerfulness." He wasn't a perfect kid, but so what. He had just started attending a new school for his junior year, and maybe the transition was creating some school-related problems for him--I changed high schools in my junior year, and I know what that can be like, it's very difficult.

Trayvon Martin was minding his own business that night, and just meandering home, when George Zimmerman took it upon himself to invade Martin's life, and disrupt his sense of security. Martin had no interest in Zimmerman or in having any contact with him--he was talking on his cell phone, and watching the time, so he'd be home in time for the start of the NBA game. And an adult man suddenly began watching and following him in the dark...

As I see it, Zimmerman started the confrontation when he began following Martin--something there was absolutely no need for him to do--because that was threatening and provocative behavior on Zimmerman's part. And he never identified himself, or his motives, to Martin. Under such conditions, Martin would be justified in throwing a punch at him in self-defense, particularly if Zimmerman grabbed at or pushed him--which would account for Rachel Jeantel hearing Martin say, "Get off me," as the fatal encounter started. As I said before, for all Martin knew, Zimmerman could have been a serial killer--he never had any idea what Zimmerman was up to.

And have you looked at Zimmerman's past record--that includes an ex- fiancée who got an Order of Protection against him, and an arrest for hitting a law enforcement officer that resulted in his being court-ordered to take anger management classes. You think, with a record like like, it's beyond possibility that Zimmerman grabbed at, or pushed Martin, after having provocatively stalked him in the dark, and that he directly provoked a defensive punch by Martin? Come on, Zimmerman is no choir boy. Let's not forget the brazen lying to his lawyer and the court about his assets. Even since his acquittal, he's disregarded traffic laws--that's why he got stopped for speeding. Zimmerman may want to keep "order" but his seeming regard for "the law" is rather weak, as he's repeatedly shown.

I really am finding this re-hashing of the same points quite tedious and repetitious. You want to believe that Martin got what he deserved, fine. You want to believe that lethal force is a justifiable response to a punch in the nose, fine. I just don't agree with you. And neither do the laws of a great many states--unfortunately, Florida isn't one of those states, otherwise George Zimmerman would have gotten what he deserved.

0 Replies

firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:01 pm
@revelette,
I could never understand why HLN had Frank Taaffe on night after night. He was clearly biased, couldn't consider the evidence with any objectivity, consistently distorted things in Zimmerman's favor, and he had no legal expertise at all. He gave Nancy Grace a sparring partner, but it was so low-level an interchange, and so lacking in informative value, and I found him such an obvious Zimmerman mouth-piece, and self-promoter, that I just stopped watching the show for the duration of the trial.

These revelations about Taaffe don't surprise me. The media outlets that gave this bozo airtime should hang their heads in shame.

Thanks for posting that, revelette.
firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:26 pm
Quote:
No ‘Ebony and Ivory’ response to ‘We are Trayvon’ covers
By Jonathan Capehart,
August 8

Arresting magazine covers are meant to do two things: sell copies and spark a conversation or debate. Well, Ebony Magazine is getting plenty of the latter. The September issue of what’s considered the “Time magazine of Black America” will have four different covers in honor of Trayvon Martin. One cover features the parents and brother of the unarmed teen shot and killed by George Zimmerman. The other three cover shots show prominent African American men with their sons in hoodies. They include filmmaker Spike Lee, actor Boris Kodjoe and Miami Heat basketball star Dwayne Wade. They are powerful images that set the tone for a magazine issue devoted to the tragedy in Sanford, Fla., last year and the hurt over the Zimmerman acquittal of second-degree murder last month.

As always, Trayvon “brings out the worst in people.” All the folks over at Breitbart.com had to do was scribble up a quick item about Miami Heat basketball player Dwayne Wade’s cover with his two sons to get the hate flowing in its comments section. No need for me to repeat the vitriol. A lot of it boils down to Trayvon was a “drug-dealing thug” who deserved to die. Or that blacks won’t address the dysfunction in their own backyard. Given that my own Twitter feed, e-mail and comments were filled with these kinds of comments since I started writing about Zimmerman and Trayvon, I should be used to the callousness by now. That I’m not must be proof that I still possess a bit of humanity.

I first learned about the covers because of Twitter reaction (h/t @ljoywilliams and @ZerlinaMaxwell) to Ebony magazine’s reaction to calls by conservatives for a boycott of the magazine. As if they’d ever heard of the Afro-centric publication before the bold covers went public. “We have so many Tea Party readers and followers,” a tweet from @EbonyMag read. “To lose all zero of them due to our September cover would be devastating.” A terrific response to persistent idiocy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/08/08/no-ebony-and-ivory-response-to-we-are-trayvon-covers/

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2013/08/07/ebony-pays-tribute-to-trayvon-martin-in-series-of-covers/_jcr_content/articleText/textwithinlinemedia/image.custom300x0.dimg/080713-national-trayvon-tribute-cover-dwayne-wade-boris-spike-lee-ebony-magazine-cover.jpg
firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:43 pm
Quote:
Trayvon Martin case lingers over anniversary of MLK’s March on Washington
By Meredith Somers
The Washington Times
August 7, 2013

Organizers commemorating the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington say they expect the case of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin to figure prominently in their events, but they insist the controversy won’t overshadow the tribute to a milestone in the civil rights movement.

Celebrations this month will honor the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, in which more than 200,000 people converged on the Mall to rally for civil rights on Aug. 28, 1963. One of the largest political demonstrations in U.S. history, the march stretched from the Washington Monument to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his historic “I Have a Dream” speech.

Its anniversary comes weeks after a series of rallies across the country calling for justice for Trayvon, the black Florida teenager fatally shot by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. A jury last month acquitted Mr. Zimmerman of second-degree murder, sparking outrage and calls for federal civil rights charges to be filed in the case.

Van White, an organizer of this month’s march, said the landmark event could be a place to highlight the important social issues that have emerged since Trayvon’s killing. But, he said, the message must be conveyed in a constructive manner that can speak to future generations.

“If this [march] ends with just showing our frustration — we’re all carrying Skittles bags and wearing hoodies — if that’s where it ends, then Trayvon Martin would have died in vain,” said Mr. White, a lawyer and founder of the Center for the Study of Civil and Human Rights Laws. “If we don’t create through this an opportunity, they will not remember this march if it’s just about Trayvon.”

The National Action Network, a group founded by the Rev. Al Sharpton that organized Trayvon-inspired rallies in major cities last month, has invited Trayvon’s parents to an Aug. 24 event at the Lincoln Memorial. Martin Luther King III, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat, and the family of Emmett Till, a black Chicago teenager lynched for whistling at a white woman in 1955, were expected to join the Martin family at the event. President Obama is scheduled to speak at the Lincoln Memorial on Aug. 28.

Elliott Ferguson, president and CEO of Destination DC and part of a task force organizing events for the anniversary of the march, said he was aware of a growing interest from human rights groups in attending the commemoration, prompted by Mr. Zimmerman’s acquittal.

“I cannot say for a fact that because of the verdict it will increase numbers, but I will say it has the conversation in a lot of organizations that deal with human rights,” Mr. Ferguson said.

Lennox Abrigo, president of the D.C. chapter of the National Action Network, said a variety of groups with their individual concerns are likely to show up during the events, but organizers will insist on a focused message.

“What we’re doing is making a common issue: human rights and civil rights,” Mr. Abrigo said Wednesday during an event at the at the African American Civil War Memorial announcing plans for the march. “We’re not discouraging individual groups from putting their individual mark, but from the [main] stage, human rights and civil rights are the central issues.”

D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray said he was not worried about Trayvon Martin supporters usurping the message of the anniversary, because “there were multiple messages in 1963.”

“The fundamental issues were justice and equality,” said Mr. Gray, who is using the rally to champion D.C. statehood. “Those continue to be issues 50 years later; they may just have a variety of manifestations.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/7/as-march-on-washington-anniversary-approaches-tray/#ixzz2bQZFdBpg
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
“We have so many Tea Party readers and followers,” a tweet from @EbonyMag read. “To lose all zero of them due to our September cover would be devastating.” A terrific response to persistent idiocy.

Very Happy
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:59 pm
@firefly,
I never was a fan of Nancy Grace anyway, but, I did see it once or twice during the trial, and it was a spectacle, on both of their parts.
firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:03 pm
@revelette,
I really don't like Nancy Grace either. Over the years, she's gotten more and more abrasive.
BillRM

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:19 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
it could have been a struggle over the gun.

Nonsense.............

All the evidences all of it support Zimmerman version not some silly one you are trying to come up with.

It is a simple and strange forward case of self defense and get over it as the jury was one hundred percents correct and all the standing on your head trying to pound the facts into some other form is not going to chance anything.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:30 pm
@firefly,
Abrasive draws Tea Partiers. Like sugar draws flies. Rush is the king of abrasive.
BillRM

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:42 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Abrasive draws Tea Partiers. Like sugar draws flies. Rush is the king of abrasive.

An Al Sharpton with blood on his hands over the decades is reason itself!!!!!!

Black blood, White blood and Jewish blood as a matter of fact.

Supporter of cases of white gang rapes of blacks women that never happen.

Supporter of those who had committed hate crimes as long as the criminals skin is black that is.
firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:05 pm
@BillRM,
You're just jealous.

Sharpton has his own TV show, radio show, his own national organization, and loads of people willing to listen to what he has to say--whether or not they agree with him. He's an influential figure who's evolved and matured considerably over the years.

You, on the other hand, are confined to anonymous postings on an insignificant Web site, that often get you called a lot of unflattering names, and don't seem to influence anyone's thinking.

If you don't like Sharpton, just ignore him. I'm sure he'll gladly ignore you too.

Just as there are people who want to listen to Rush Limbaugh, there are people who listen to Sharpton. Somewhere, out there, there might even be someone who wants to listen to you...

firefly

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:37 pm
Quote:
George Zimmerman and the Price of Infamy
By: Danielle C. Belton
August 8, 2013

No matter what he does with the rest of his life, he will forever be remembered for one terrible act.

(The Root) -- Last week George Zimmerman -- found innocent of murder, but still the killer of teen Trayvon Martin -- was pulled over by a police officer in Forney, Texas, east of Dallas.

Nothing happened.

In fact, the only detail of note was that Zimmerman was packing heat in the glove compartment (which he disclosed to the officer) and was going "nowhere in particular."

The officer's dashboard camera captured the nonincident, and the officer himself got away with snapping a cellphone picture of Zimmerman. Perhaps the officer couldn't help himself, since George Zimmerman is "famous." Not the kind of famous where you ask to be in the cellphone picture with him, but the infamous kind, where you sneak a picture that you can show your disbelieving friends later in a ghoulish conversation about celebrity, death and the continued life of George Zimmerman.

While, for many folks, the story of dead Florida teen Trayvon Martin and the man who killed him was one that people chose sides over and were passionate about, for many others it was another narrative played out in the press like reality TV. Even the court case was televised. So there was a spectacle about all of it. A story. And stories have endings.

A Hollywood ending would have meant that Zimmerman went to prison, never to be thought of again. But there was no Hollywood ending. He was found not guilty, and so now Zimmerman is famous -- or, rather, infamous. But no one has any idea what to do with him or his infamy.

Regular, nonmurderous fame is typically good currency if you know what to do with it. Like Republican Tom DeLay going from smiling mugshot crook to Dancing With the Stars. Or this Sydney Leathers person who's turned some "sexts" between herself and New York City mayoral wannabe Anthony Weiner into a semilucrative porn-adjacent career. Maybe she'll go on Dancing With the Stars next.

That show is kind of a go-to place for fame that is less of the Angelina Jolie, Denzel Washington or Will Smith variety and more of the Bristol Palin quality. You know, the sort of fame where you're good enough to get a reality show, but not quite good enough to keep one. Not everyone can be the Kardashians or Shaunie O'Neal, after all.

But what do you do with infamy, that cousin of fame that has no real currency to cash in? When you are renowned, not by happy accident or from a Shakespearean downfall after reaching near-Caesar heights, but because you're a killer? Not a convicted murderer, but someone who killed someone, and everyone knows who you are and what you did, and all hold a judgment?

Zimmerman's lawyer quite famously himself said that Zimmerman would have to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. Zimmerman's brother, Robert, claims that the family has been inundated with threats, mostly online, and is living in a form of isolation out of fear:

"No one has really asked us to get into the psychological aspect of this," Zimmerman reportedly said. "You don't know if someone stops you in public and says, 'excuse me sir,' you don't know if you dropped your wallet or if someone recognizes you and wants to kill you."

It's hard to drum up pity for the infamous, however. George Zimmerman caused this nightmare scenario in the first place. He helped create a world in which it would be hard for him to find work, to find a place to live, to drive down a highway and have it not turn into national news.

And each reference to how Zimmerman lives -- from apparently saving people in overturned vehicles to driving around Texas -- is an ominous reminder of who does not live. But Zimmerman is not alone in this. He has lots of company to look to in order to get an idea of what the rest of his life will look like.

Will he be a Casey Anthony or an O.J. Simpson?

Both Anthony and Simpson insisted that they were innocent but were convicted in the court of public opinion. Anthony has spent her time since the trial largely in hiding, only occasionally emerging on YouTube to lament her new life and talk about new body piercings. (On the other hand, the judge from the trial is shopping around for his own show.) Simpson spent his time golfing, dating various women and being a tabloid mainstay until he decided to star in an armed robbery of his own memorabilia. He's still in prison but made parole in late July.

Anthony has avoided the limelight, while Simpson couldn't give it up. He attempted to capitalize on his infamy with appearances and interviews and even, at one point, wrote a book, If I Did It, in which he speculated about how he would have "done" the murders, which turned into a debacle of its own.

So will Zimmerman travel this great land racking up police stops and saving strangers? Will he try to write a book? Will he try to live his life with an awareness that he took someone else's life? Will he retreat to the recesses of our society, only to be heard of in whispers? Or will he choose to live boldly, reveling in his found innocence and arguing that he shouldn't have to live his life as a monk when the legal system came out on his side?

No matter which path he chooses, it's likely that we'll know all about it because Zimmerman is infamous. Therefore, whatever he does -- no matter how ordinary or extraordinary -- will be news by virtue of his celebrity. He can choose whether to be part of the show, the aggressive 24-hour news cycle, but he'll never stop being the "star." Because all Zimmerman stories fit the narrative of "Trayvon Martin is dead, but George Zimmerman lives."

George Zimmerman drives. George Zimmerman carries a gun. George Zimmerman exists despite the lack of a prison sentence to keep him away from our prying eyes. Because, let's face it, the media like to tell a nice, tight story with a real ending, and prison would have been a period on the end of a sentence, finalizing the whole ordeal. But he was found not guilty, so now the media must follow this thing until the story concludes.

Only, there is no real conclusion -- other than this theater of the absurd in which we pretend that Zimmerman getting stopped for speeding is news because an infamous killer was there.

Danielle C. Belton is a freelance journalist and TV writer, founder of the blog blacksnob.com and editor-at-large of Clutch magazine.
http://www.theroot.com/views/george-zimmerman-and-price-infamy
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 12:21 am
My heart bleeds for Mister Zimmerman. But not as much as Travons did.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 03:22 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
My heart bleeds for Mister Zimmerman. But not as much as Travons did.
I like that; its good. Thank u.

He got what he deserved; we are all now safer
for the noble efforts of the good Zimmy.

He still needs a better gun than that puny 9mm automatic.
I 'd like to meet Zimmy and discuss guns with him.

David
oralloy

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 04:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
He still needs a better gun than that puny 9mm automatic.
I 'd like to meet Zimmy and discuss guns with him.

I was curious what caliber his new gun is, but the news articles didn't say.

Some pages back in this thread (at least I think it was this one) there was an article posted that tried to misrepresent the facts by presenting a low resolution picture of Trayvon's corpse.

In the course of debunking the article, I hunted up larger versions of the picture. One of those pictures had this text added to it: "LOL ONLY 9MM" (however, it misspelled the word "only").
0 Replies