The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

gungasnake

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 01:59 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Harmless kid? How many harmless kids have stolen jewelry in the backpacks at school?

Including wedding rings. No self-respecting criminal would ever steal a wedding ring.
Baldimo

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 02:09 pm
@gungasnake,
I don't agree with that gunga. Those bastards will take everything they can get their hands on. They don't care who they take it from or what it means to the people they are taking it from.
firefly

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 02:38 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

Bill is not the only one selectively looking at the evidence presented. There is an effective case on either side and that leads to reasonable doubt. From where I sit, I'm more in the Zimmerman started it and there is a case to be made for manslaughter camp, but I can't fault the jury verdict and I find the cartoon you posted implying the jury is racist to be very unfair to people who had to look at all the evidence, put aside their pre-conceived notions and make the call.

I can't fault the jury verdict, although I do think that both jurors who have spoken out were unclear on how to interpret the law regarding manslaughter, and that may well have affected the verdict. One juror clearly had a question about manslaughter that never got answered. I don't blame the jury for that, I don't think the prosecution clearly explained the manslaughter law to them and how it applied to this case.

I don't think the jury was racist, but I do think they bought into the covert racial profiling of the victim that was part of the defense's strategy, even though race was not explicitly mentioned during this trial. When the first juror who spoke out talked about Jeantel and Martin, by saying "the language they use" and "their culture" I was very taken aback--this woman has problems connecting with, let alone identifying with, black people--they are somewhat foreign to her. So, how might have that affected her perception of the victim? She said she had no sense of what he was like. That made it somewhat easier for her to buy into Zimmerman's concern about black criminals, and to disregard the fact Martin wasn't one of them, and that he really was minding his own business that night. I think at least one black juror might have made the outcome different. The only Hispanic on the jury was also the longest hold-out. So subconscious racial/cultural factors did influence this jury, even though they might not have been consciously aware of them.

Race and racial issues were very much a part of this case, and that's the dialogue and discussion that should continue to go on in this country. It's a subject that white people tend to be uncomfortable with, and no one wants to admit to bias, but it does affect us, and it does affect our criminal justice system. And when the black community, rather overwhelmingly, cries out that this death, and the way it was handled from the very start, has to do with race, I think white people, and everyone else, should start paying attention and listen to what they are saying. Nothing will change unless everyone does become aware of their biases and how they operate. And it's those who are affected by that bias who help to make us more aware.

BillRM isn't just selectively looking at the evidence--he's actually making up his own case which involves a heavy distortion of the victim and the events. Now he's saying that Martin, who was a middle class kid, from a decent middle class family, was a gang member. Not only is there nada to support that nonsense, even gang members have a right to act in self-defense, if some stranger starts following them around in the dark when they are minding their own business, and even gang members shouldn't be shot without adequate reason. By the time BillRM gets through weaving his fantasies, Martin will probably be the one who pursued Zimmerman through that housing complex.

I don't think I looked selectively at the evidence, I did consider all of it. And I found Zimmerman's version of events very problematic--it was inconsistent, and not entirely supported by actual physical evidence, in some instances the evidence contradicted his account, and some of what he alleged happened just didn't ring true for me, it didn't make sense. If something is clearly self-defense, I don't think those troubling problems should be there. I had, and still have, considerable reasonable doubt about whether this killing was legally justified. But I can accept and live with the verdict. And I actually see little point in continuing to re-hash the facts of this case--it's over.

I'm not sure which cartoon you're referring to--I've posted a lot of them. But I'm not accusing the jurors of being racists, and I'm not accusing Zimmerman of being a racist, but I do think that racially biased thinking, and racial stereotyping, may have affected all of them, subtly and subconsciously. That's why I think our country needs to continue the conversation about racial profiling, and how racial factors affect us, because, no matter how much we'd like to deny it, these factors do affect us. The solution has to involve heightened awareness, education, and different groups actually listening to each other.

0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 02:43 pm
This is all very interesting, but what does it matter?
The jury heard and saw all the evidence, and rendered the verdict of not guilty.
Like it or not, its over.

Nothing any of you say will change the verdict.
Get over it already.
firefly

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 02:44 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
You are also forgetting that his case wasn't tried as a SYG. It was purely self-defense

You're forgetting that the jurors were also given instructions for SYG, which made that issue confusing for them. And the first juror who spoke out referred to SYG, so it apparently did influence their thinking.

That juror also said she'd like to see changes in these laws.
Baldimo

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 02:54 pm
@firefly,
Here is the problem though. Why was the SYG instructions thrown in there in the first place when it was never used by the defense or the persecution during the trial. Why throw SYG ideas into a self-defense case in the first place. Remember Zimmerman declined the SYG trial so it never should have been brought up.
firefly

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:06 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Why was the SYG instructions thrown in there in the first place when it was never used by the defense or the persecution during the trial. Why throw SYG ideas into a self-defense case in the first place

I really don't know why SYG got thrown in there.

My guess is that, under Florida law, when an affirmative defense is offered, with a claim of self-defense, that the jury automatically gets the instructions for all self-defense laws in Florida. Then it's up to the jury to sort it all out.

I think it's just needlessly confusing for the jury, but the system may see it as fairer to the defendant to include all self-defense options for the jury to consider.
cicerone imposter

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:18 pm
@firefly,
Here's my .02c worth: 1. the jury came to the correct decision based on the trial and judge's instructions, 2. the jury was not racist, 3. the prosecution failed their job to challenge the defense and to clarify the laws, and 4. SYG law is the crime.
BillRM

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
SYG law is the crime.

Sorry however for the hundred and twenty times at least this case have zero to do with the SYG law.

Next the only crime that night was an assault by Trayvon against Zimmerman there was no other crime with or without the SYG law.

Next by repealing this law the outcome will be the jailing of far more black men then whites by percent of population at least.

I would call the so call civil right leadership stupid for driving for the repeal of the SYG laws but they are not stupid it just that they could care less about the welfare of the lower class part of the black community as long as they can keep the funds/donations rolling in to themselves.

firefly

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:53 pm
The Dream Defenders, a group that's been camped out at the Florida statehouse for weeks, in protest of the Stand Your Ground law, has shown that effective social activism, and persistence, can get results.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dream-Defenders.jpeg
They finally got Gov. Scott to meet with them, and they finally got agreement that the state legislature will review the law.
Quote:
Chalk it up as a victory for the Dream Defenders, the protestors who’ve spent almost three weeks camping out on the floors of Florida’s Capitol building, as Florida House Speaker Will Weatherford admitted on Friday that he will order a hearing on the state’s controversial ‘Stand Your Ground’ law.

“It’s a critical first step,” Phillip Agnew, executive director of the Dream Defenders, told the Miami Herald. “We’ve been here for three weeks. We know Democracy takes time. Progress takes time.”

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/05/win-for-dream-defenders-florida-will-hold-stand-your-ground-hearing-video/

But, before anyone gets too excited about change being on the horizon, they should consider this Editorial from the Florida Sun Sentinel.
Quote:
Stand Your Ground hearings need credibility
By Sun Sentinel Editorial Board
August 6, 2013

For a brief moment there, Florida House Speaker Will Weatherford stood apart from Republican leaders in Tallahassee by saying he would convene a legislative hearing on the state's controversial Stand Your Ground law in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict.

But after suggesting that lessons might be learned and changes made to protect the innocent, Weatherford quickly dashed hopes by choosing one of the law's biggest supporters to chair the hearing.

So much for an objective review of the law's unintended consequences.

Consider what the committee chair, Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach, told the Tampa Bay Times after agreeing to lead the hearing: "I don't support changing one damn comma of the Stand Your Ground law."

"It would be reactionary and dangerous to make Floridians less safe to pacify uninformed protesters," said Gaetz, who chairs the House Criminal Justice Subcommittee.

So there you have it. A committee hearing with a foregone conclusion.

Forgive us for feeling like we've seen this act before. We have.

The first such charade was convened by Gov. Rick Scott shortly after Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, shot Trayvon Martin, 17, after following him through a gated Sanford community where Martin's family lived. The two got into an altercation during which Zimmerman said he shot Martin because he feared for his life.

Police initially refused to arrest Zimmerman, citing the Stand Your Ground law. After protests rocked Florida and the nation, a reluctant Gov. Rick Scott convened a similar panel to examine the law.

Like Weatherford, the governor stacked his committee with people who liked the law, including then- Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll, a lifetime National Rifle Association member, two lawmakers who sponsored the Stand Your Ground legislation, and a third lawmaker who sponsored another NRA initiative called "Docs v. Glocks," which prevents doctors from asking mentally ill people if they have guns in the home.

Predictably, the governor's committee strongly expressed its support and, in Gaetz's words, "not one damn comma" was changed.

So forgive our skepticism that the next hearing will spur a different outcome.

Surely there are lessons to be learned from the inconsistent application of Stand Your Ground, which removes the duty that people try to retreat before resorting to deadly force.

Because of confusion over the law, police initially declined to arrest Zimmerman. The law wasn't specifically used in his defense, but the judge used its language in jury instructions, saying that if Zimmerman had a right to be where he was, he had no duty to retreat. He could stand his ground and meet force with force.

Stand your Ground goes much further than the Castle Doctrine, which lets people use deadly force to defend themselves in their homes. As interpreted by some, Stand Your Ground lets people instigate fights and shoot people dead, so long as they feel their life is in danger.

Indeed, a review of 200 Stand Your Ground cases last year by the Tampa Bay Times found that a third of the time, the defendant started the fight and went free.

Politically, though, gun laws are sacrosanct in Florida and the nation. A recent Quinnipiac poll found 53 percent of people nationwide support Stand Your Ground, with slightly higher support among white voters and a whopping 75 percent among Republicans.

So politically, you can understand why Gov. Scott, who faces re-election next year, stands behind the law. So does Florida Senate President Don Gaetz, father of Rep. Matt Gaetz, chair of the upcoming charade.

For a minute, Weatherford spoke for all Floridians in questioning whether improvements could be made in Stand Your Ground. While defending the law in an opinion piece published last week in The Tampa Tribune, he expressed a willingness to listen to opposing views and evaluate the facts.

"Our evaluation of its effectiveness should be guided by objective information, not by political expediency," he wrote.

Weatherford deserves credit for expressing a desire to learn from the death of Trayvon Martin, but he missed a moment for statesmanship by picking a chairman who doesn't want to change so much as a comma.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/editorials/fl--editorial-syg-dl-20130806,0,3265310.story
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:57 pm
@BillRM,
The de-moKKKer-RATS are bothered by losing 10,000 of their base every year because much of their base can't deal with firearms. That has to be the biggest part of the problem.
mysteryman

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
the jury was not racist

You flat out claimed earlier that the jury was racist!
How can it be both ways?
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:23 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
by losing 10,000 of their base every year

Sadly far too many of the black underclass deal with guns and drugs resulting in an amazing death rate for young black males that have nothing to do white racists.

We need to end this worthless so call war on drugs that have never stop one person from buying illegal drugs not one man, not one woman and not one minor.

The war however had fund criminals gangs in this nations and others nations to the tune of 100s of billions.

The used of the criminal justice system to deal with a public health problem had results in deaths, and ruins lives and whole national governments being corrupted.

gungasnake

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:26 pm
@BillRM,
We need to do a number of things, but none is more critical than ending the "War on Drugs".
BillRM

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:29 pm
@gungasnake,
You do know that Firefly will shortly be charging that boths of us are drugs users?

A charming woman in every way........ Drunk
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:39 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Bill is not the only one selectively looking at the evidence presented.

I dispute the notion that BillRM is engaging in such tactics at all (regardless of whether others are doing so).

engineer wrote:
There is an effective case on either side and that leads to reasonable doubt. From where I sit, I'm more in the Zimmerman started it and there is a case to be made for manslaughter camp, but I can't fault the jury verdict and I find the cartoon you posted implying the jury is racist to be very unfair to people who had to look at all the evidence, put aside their pre-conceived notions and make the call.

Do you know of any evidence indicating that Mr. Zimmerman started it?

How do you get around the fact that Mr. Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon some three minutes before the confrontation even began?
oralloy

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:40 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Only one witness. Only one "provable" version of what happened.

You overlook the criminal investigation checking to see if the evidence agreed with Mr. Zimmerman's story or not.

RABEL222 wrote:
So Flordia law forced the jury to it's decision.

All civilized nations embrace the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

RABEL222 wrote:
Not the jurys fault but the politicians and judges of Flordia who passed this law making it possible to commit murder and get away with it.

Falsely referring to self defense as murder does not change the reality that self defense is entirely legitimate.

RABEL222 wrote:
So I am sure that they will rectify their mistake in about a hundred years or so. Maybe if it happens to a Florida politician or two?

There is no mistake to be rectified. And no, the change you desire will never happen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 06:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
This is all very interesting, but what does it matter?
The jury heard and saw all the evidence, and rendered the verdict of not guilty.
Like it or not, its over.

Nothing any of you say will change the verdict.
Get over it already.

I see no problem with protesting a verdict that one feels is unjust.

But people who engage in such protests should try to have some facts backing up their case.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 07:37 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Do you know of any evidence indicating that Mr. Zimmerman started it?

The phone conversation that ended "get off of me", likely Martin's last words. You can dismiss that evidence if you want, but it was presented at trial.
BillRM

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 09:21 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The phone conversation that ended "get off of me", likely Martin's last words. You can dismiss that evidence if you want, but it was presented at trial.

You mean the claimed content of that phone conversation by his girlfriend/friend as she remember it?

No wounds on Trayvon except for the gun shot and no indication he was ever on his back during this fight unlike for Zimmerman.

Strange if Zimmerman got on him to say the least.