The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:28 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Actually the headline in the few stories I have seen was only about Zimmerman being stopped for speeding. The gun aspect seemed secondary and was not in the headline of the link I posted.

I can just imagine a cop being told "I have a gun" by a driver he stopped...and having the cop tell him..."well put it into your glove compartment."

Either the cop was an idiot...or he was an idiot...or the story is nonsense.
revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, I reckon he has a permit or whatever it is they need to be able to carry a gun in a car, don't you think?
BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I can just imagine a cop being told "I have a gun" by a driver he stopped...and having the cop tell him..."well put it into your glove compartment."

Why not as he have a legal right to have the gun on him in Texas as they honor Florida CC licenses and that been in any numbers of posts on this thread.
Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:59 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Well, I reckon he has a permit or whatever it is they need to be able to carry a gun in a car, don't you think?

Yup. But can you imagine a cop stopping a stranger...discovering the stranger has a gun...and suggesting that the stranger draw the gun and put it in the glove compartment?
firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:00 pm
@BillRM,
The gun is probably the part of the story Zimmerman wanted to get out.
He wants people to know he's armed.

He also made sure the officer recognized him. He asked the officer whether he recognized him from TV. That's how Zimmerman got out the news of his gun.

He's still disregarding laws--speeding--and still getting away without punishment.

The only part of this story that interests me is why Zimmerman didn't get a speeding ticket.

Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:00 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Why not as he have a legal right to have the gun on him in Texas as they honor Florida CC licenses and that been in any numbers of posts on this thread.

Any cop who would allow a stranger he stopped for a violation to take out a known gun is an idiot.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The gun was in the glove compartment all along. He wasn't carrying it on his person.

In Texas, a person can have a gun in a motor vehicle, even without a concealed carry license, as long as the gun is hidden from view--i.e. in the glove compartment. As soon as he was pulled over, Zimmerman had to inform the officer that he had a gun in the car.
revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:02 pm
@BillRM,
I just did a google search, on the first page 8 out 12 headlines were only about speeding. (at least on my page)

here
Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:09 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

The gun was in the glove compartment all along. He wasn't carrying it on his person.

I am only going by what I read in the news report:

Quote:
When Zimmerman was pulled in a gray-colored Honda pickup with Florida tags he told the policeman he was armed. The officer instructed him to put the weapon in his glove compartment and said that if after checking his background, and if there were no criminal issues, he could go on his way.

If the weapon was already in the glove compartment...it would make no sense for the officer to instruct him to put it there.

The entire story makes no sense to me. I know many, many law enforcement people...and I cannot imagine any of them being as casual as this cop was when Zimmerman announced he was armed. Most of the guys I know would have immediately have pulled him through the window of the car onto the street and pointed their guns at him.
hawkeye10

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:09 pm
@firefly,
I am betting that this officer decided that Florida has abused this man this year so Texas can be big enough to take it easy on him for now.
Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am betting that this officer decided that Florida has abused this man this year so Texas can be big enough to take it easy on him for now.

I'm betting this officer is an idiot.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:11 pm
@revelette,
You'd think Zimmerman would be making some attempt not to violate any laws. Rolling Eyes

For someone allegedly trying to keep a low profile, he's certainly managing to continue to attract media attention and contacts with the police.
spendius

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:12 pm
@revelette,
From the stats I have seen a cop would be an idiot to assume any stranger he interacts with has not got a gun until he is satisfied the stranger has not got a gun.
cicerone imposter

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:12 pm
@firefly,
The cop was afraid of getting killed. You know, SYG.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's not that unusual for people to be armed in Texas. Laughing

I think this was all PR on Zimmerman's part--to get out the word he has a gun.
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:16 pm
@firefly,
I don't know I guess they let him go once they finally realized who he was with just a warning to "take it easy" and to "protect his firearm." Celebrity status I suppose.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:16 pm
@spendius,
Beyond doubt.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Either the cop was an idiot...or he was an idiot...or the story is nonsense.

Welcome to Texas.
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You'd think Zimmerman would be making some attempt not to violate any laws. Rolling Eyes

For someone allegedly trying to keep a low profile, he's certainly managing to continue to attract media attention and contacts with the police.

I wonder what his next foray into the news headlines is going to be?
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:27 pm
Well, his wife's perjury trial is coming up in about 2 weeks, so he'll possibly surface at that.

That should also help to remind everyone what big liars these two are.
0 Replies