The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

BillRM

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
"educating the people?"

I consider you a "people" that might be able to think for yourself.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Once more you are bright enough to know that Zimmerman was and is not some mad racist killer and Trayvon was not some innocent child.

Are you bright enough to realize that Zimmerman exercised extremely poor judgment that night, and that a tragedy resulted because of his poor impulse control and his obsession not to let those "f--king punks" get away?

Are you bright enough to realize that Trayvon Martin was an "innocent child", whose only intention that night, when George Zimmerman spotted him, was to get home in time to watch a basketball game on TV, and that there was nothing "suspicious", or remotely criminal, about his simply walking about and talking on his cell phone?

Are you bright enough to see that George Zimmerman was not "innocent", that he created the entire situation that night that led to a totally avoidable and needless death, by stalking an innocent kid in the dark? Are you bright enough to understand that he frightened that child by his actions, and that he provoked whatever occurred between them?

If it bothers you that Zimmerman is being unfairly characterized as "some mad racist killer", why don't you stop characterizing Trayvon Martin as a "hoodlum" and a caricature of a ghetto thug, since your view of Martin is as distorted and inaccurate as the way others view Zimmerman.

Zimmerman made a mistake that night, a terrible mistake, by profiling an innocent high school kid, who was not a criminal, and who had no intention of doing anything criminal, and you're trying to justify his mistake by unjustifiably insisting that this kid did fit some negative racial stereotype of young black urban males, because otherwise you'd have to admit that terrible mistake Zimmerman made. Zimmerman's "suspect", the one he followed and frightened in the dark, was, in fact, an innocent kid, and that's a reality Zimmerman will have to live with for the rest of his life, because that mistake resulted in a needless death.

And rather than express any true compassion, or sadness, over that needless death, and the loss of that teen's life, you persist in blaming Martin for his own death, and, further, you persist in blaming his decent, hard-working, loving, and grief-stricken parents for his death as well. How low can you get.

Martin didn't profile Zimmerman and follow him around in the dark in that housing complex that night, but he did have the right to defend himself when that menacing stranger confronted him. You seem to think the right to self-defense applies only to those carrying guns, rather than to those who are unarmed and can defend themselves only with a punch to someone's nose. And, since you, as a fellow gun-carrier, must defend Zimmerman's use of his gun, that defensive punch in the nose becomes an "attack" and Zimmerman's subsequent very minor injuries are distorted into "a beating" severe enough for him to fear for his life. And, despite the photos of Zimmerman taken in the police station that night, which clearly show he was not "beaten up" and had sustained only minor injuries, you will continue to beat that same drum.

You obviously don't give a damn about Trayvon Martin, or the loss of his life, and I don't think you really give a damn about George Zimmerman either. It's all about guns. You like guns. You like promoting the use of guns, You don't like attempts at gun control. You don't like attempts to get rid of flawed laws like Stand Your Ground that promote the use of guns, rather than any need to safely retreat. Your only interest in this topic has to do with guns and preserving your gun "rights".

If the verdict in this case showed anything it's that the self-defense laws in Florida are so vaguely and poorly worded that they allow people to get away with murder. Even the jurors, who realized that Zimmerman did bear moral responsibility for that death, were left feeling those laws should be changed, and, the two who have spoken out, were clearly emotionally upset about the decision they had to make in this case. They clearly did not think that Zimmerman was morally "innocent" regarding this death.
Quote:

One person at a time such as convicting you that letting the news media/politicians play you over Zimmerman/Trayvon is counter produced to all our best interests.

And how about convincing you that the gun lobby and the NRA, play you over, and that their encouraging the carrying of guns, and their promoting laws like Stand Your Ground, is counter-productive to all our best interests.

Or are you too heavily steeped in NRA propaganda to do that? You certainly seem to be singing their tune.

http://media.theweek.com/img/dir_0088/44478_cartoon_main/the-nras-misguided-honors.jpg?162
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
And since you aren't black either, how can you claim to understand it?
BillRM

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:12 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
And since you aren't black either, how can you claim to understand it?

He is not black he was channeling blackness instead?
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:30 am
George Zimmerman Stopped For Speeding In North Texas

Quote:
NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – CBS 11 News has learned that George Zimmerman, the man recently found not guilty for fatally shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida, was armed when an officer pulled him over for speeding in North Texas.

Zimmerman was pulled over on July 28 at 12:54 p.m., while traveling westbound on Highway 80 in Forney, a Kaufman County city about 20 miles east of Dallas.

When Zimmerman was pulled in a gray-colored Honda pickup with Florida tags he told the policeman he was armed. The officer instructed him to put the weapon in his glove compartment and said that if after checking his background, and if there were no criminal issues, he could go on his way. The entire incident was captured on the officer’s dashcam.

At some point Zimmerman asked the officer if he recognized him from television and the officer said he did not.

Leaning toward the truck window, the officer and Zimmerman had this exchange.

Officer: “Where you headed to?”
Zimmerman: “Nowhere in particular.”
Officer: “Nowhere in particular? Why do you say that?”
Zimmerman: “You didn’t see my name?”
Officer: What a coincidence.”

After a background check, the 29-year-old was given a verbal warning for speeding and allowed to leave

Toward the end of the traffic stop, you hear the officer ask Zimmerman about current warrants.

Officer: “Are you clear of warrants and stuff?”

Zimmerman: “Absolutely, sir”

Officer: “As long as you don’t have any warrants you’ll be cut loose with a warning OK? Just take it easy. Just go ahead and shut your glove compartment. Protect your firearm OK?”

Forney Police aren’t talking about the traffic stop but since CBS 11 broke the story George Zimmerman tweeted the following message: “Our family receives many death threats. We all continue to take our security seriously and to ensure our safety in accordance with the law.”

Zimmerman did not say why he was in North Texas or where he was headed.

BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:57 am
@revelette,
Given all the death threats and such things as an attacked by three hoodlums on a random white guy to send a message to Zimmerman I would not be far from a gun myself if I was him.

Footnote the honoring of CC licenses agreements between states are complex and ever changing and in that regard my wife have three CC licenses from three states to try to cover herself as must as possible when traveling.
BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:19 am
@BillRM,
From this sites if look like Texas should honor a Florida CC license but as I said it is ever changing.

It is strange that the news media did not share that information is it not?

http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

and

Quote:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/legal/reciprocity/FlaTenn.htm

Florida and Tennessee

September 7, 2000

Texas Establishes Concealed Handgun License Reciprocity With Florida and Tennessee

Texas has signed reciprocal agreements with Florida and Tennessee, allowing citizens with concealed handgun licenses issued by Florida or Tennessee to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.

Col. Thomas A. Davis Jr., director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, signed the reciprocity agreements with the State of Florida and the State of Tennessee through which their licensees can visit Texas with their concealed handguns.

"This agreement will allow licensed Texans to travel freely in the states of Tennessee and Florida, while enjoying the same or similar privileges their licenses give them at home," Davis said.

These reciprocity agreements--the fifth and sixth Texas has reached with another state--were made possible by 1997 changes to the state's concealed handgun law. Texas also has reciprocity agreements with Arkansas, Louisiana, Arizona and Oklahoma.

"Texans should remember that weapons laws vary from state to state, and before traveling, license holders should educate themselves about laws in other states that govern where and when they can legally carry their concealed handguns," Davis said.

roger

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:35 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

From this sites if look like Texas should honor a Florida CC license but as I said it is ever changing.

It is strange that the news media did not share that information is it not?

No
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:12 am
@BillRM,
I don't get where you are hung up about TX honoring Florida's CC license. He was stopped for speeding and let go with a warning. He wasn't arrested for having a gun, just told to put it in the glove department.

I don't doubt Zimmerman has received death threats, so has the Martin family.
firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:31 am
@revelette,
Quote:
I don't get where you are hung up about TX honoring Florida's CC license.

BillRM's only interest in this case all along has been the gun aspect.

I wonder why he didn't get a speeding ticket. You'd think if he doen't want to attract attention, or have people know his whereabouts, he wouldn't be speeding.

And he seemed to want to make sure that the officer recognized him...

http://www.bendib.com/newones/2013/july/small/7-16-Zimmerman--.jpg
hawkeye10

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:35 am
@firefly,
I am pretty sure that it deeply offends some folks that Zimmerman appears to be a happy fella tooling around on a vacay.....
BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:21 am
@revelette,
An yet the stories have large headlines that he was found to have a gun by the Texas police and no information that he was hundred percent in his rights to have a gun with him!!!!!!!!!!
firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:30 am
http://media.cagle.com/16/2013/07/25/135148_600.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:40 am
@BillRM,
Bill, this whole thing has been filled with slanted word choices. He followed. Maybe he stalked. Then again, maybe he persued. The other was a beautiful child, or a nasty street fighter. You can say someone 'said' something, or he 'stated' something, or even he 'alleged'. I tend to filter that stuff out as soon as I recognize it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:42 am
@revelette,
By the way Zimmerman would be the greatest fool in the world not to be armed 24/7 while in the US at least.

The federal government in doing nothing about all the death threats against not only him but his family and lawyers and the jury members and their children have kind of indicate they do not care to offer him any of the protection that all citizens are entitle to.

It open season on the man.
izzythepush

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:56 am
@BillRM,
I doubt very much he'd be allowed to carry a gun outside of the US. If I heard he was planning on visiting the UK I would write to the Home Secretary asking he be denied entry.

He probably wouldn't be allowed in. We don't want child killers over here, he only escaped prison because of the pro-lynching laws that we don't have over here.
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:59 am
@BillRM,
Actually the headline in the few stories I have seen was only about Zimmerman being stopped for speeding. The gun aspect seemed secondary and was not in the headline of the link I posted.
firefly

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:12 pm
http://www.newsworks.org/images/stories/flexicontent/m_zimmerman-whyy1200.jpg
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
He must not be having too good of a time, the officer felt the need to tell him to take it easy and to protect his firearm.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:27 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
Actually the headline in the few stories I have seen was only about Zimmerman being stopped for speeding. The gun aspect seemed secondary and was not in the headline of the link I posted.

Strange as every headline I had seem mention the gun not the speeding.