The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

gungasnake

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 01:21 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003016_497094503703993_270044022_n.jpg
firefly

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
when the state can hold a trial without probable cause...

Except there was probable cause, and this was established to a judge's satisfaction in a courtroom. Zimmerman received due process, in accord with law. No way was he abused by the state or denied any legal rights he was entitled to.

In many states, including those in the Northeast, Zimmerman would have been found guilty of manslaughter because he recklessly and needlessly provoked an encounter, after stalking and frightening an innocent kid who had no way of knowing who Zimmerman was, or what harm Zimmerman might do to him in that dark area. The fact that Zimmerman created the circumstances of menace, and then provoked a confrontation, with this frightened unarmed minor, would have invalidated his claims of self-defense, since Martin was the one justified in protecting himself in that context, and Zimmerman's minor injuries were nowhere near life-threatening.

Had the police arrived while the struggle was still in progress, before that shot was fired, I doubt that Martin would have been arrested for punching Zimmerman in the nose, and that is the only punch that Zimmerman's body or face showed any sign of receiving, beside two tiny scrapes on the back of his head. Given that this was an unarmed minor, who was a guest in that housing complex, who had been unfairly and inaccurately profiled by Zimmerman as a criminal tresspasser, and one who felt justifiably menaced by Zimmerman's stalking of him in the dark, I doubt Martin would have been arrested because Zimmerman would likely have felt too foolish, and too embarrassed by his own misperceptions and recklessness to have pressed charges. Martin was the one entitled to stand his ground and protect himself in that situation, and that would have been clear to the police as well.

Had the police even known, immediately after the shooting, that Martin belonged in that community, they would have been even more skeptical of Zimmerman's actions and his version of events, the forensic collection of evidence would have been more careful, a toxicology test on Zimmerman would have been done, and Zimmerman probably would have been arrested that night and charged with manslaughter. Unfortunately, to some extent, the police bought into Zimmerman's racial profiling of this dead kid, since they also appear to have assumed he was an intruder in the complex and probably up to no good.

Rallies were held in over 100 cities today to help bring about justice for Trayvon Martin, and one way of doing that would be to change or repeal the flawed Florida self-defense laws that allowed his killer to avoid any legal punishment for actions that would be considered manslaughter in other parts of the country--to keep something like this from happening again to another innocent young black male who gets erroneously profiled by a vigilante with a gun. And even the jurors who acquitted Zimmerman want to see changes to those laws that allowed him to go free.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:33 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003016_497094503703993_270044022_n.jpg
That IS clever.

David
OmSigDAVID

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:40 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
You might blame the prosecution for this.
They dident want Zimmerman to be convicted.
Just look how they left their 19 year old star witness hanging in the wind.
U mean the admittedly repeated liar, right ???
hawkeye10

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
and she was a hostile witness and she is apparently retarted which again made her a bad witness....her assertions are what that state used for the majority of its probable cause claims??!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
it is all a matter of degree to which the justice system gets subverted by the drive for vengeance.

It is going to be interesting indeed to see if the DOJ will bring completely groundless civil right charges due to the pressure they are under.
cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:25 pm
@BillRM,
You just simply proved that you don't understand the US Constitution and how that works in this country. I dare say that even our administration, congress, and the supreme court do not "protect and defend" this country as they swore to uphold the Constitution.

Bunch of lackeys.
cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's clever only in the mind of simpletons and idiots!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:29 pm
@BillRM,
it will only happen if obama cares more about tickling his prejudices than he cares about his legacy, which is possible. it is notable how little this trained lawyer cares about the fundimentals of a healthy and legitimate legal framework for democratic society....again we see that he has taken extensive lessons in country running from Putin.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You just simply proved that you don't understand the US Constitution and how that works in this country. I dare say that even our administration, congress, and the supreme court do not "protect and defend" this country as they swore to uphold the Constitution.

Bunch of lackeys.
Its sadly humorous:
in C. I. 's world vu,
ONLY he and his supporters understand the US Constitution.
He appears to consider himself an expert on Constitutional judicature and on penises.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
firefly wrote:
He can understand what Trayvon Martin felt that night, when a creepy white guy began following him in the dark, for no apparent reason, and you cannot...because he could have been Trayvon 35 years ago.

Wud Obama have been CIVIL
OR
wud he prefer beating the innocent fellow 's head against the street,
as the bad guy did before Zimmy shot him ??????????

It sounded like Obama was admitting that he liked to violently assault people when he was younger.

Actually I think this is just about him hating our freedom. He wants to make another run at violating our Constitutional gun rights, and is trying to lay the groundwork for such a move.
oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
firefly wrote:
Although his life's really finished. I can't imagine when it will be safe for him to ever come out of hiding...so I don't think the world will ever see much of George Zimmerman again. His life is over.

I am thinking more along the lines of a cushy job in a small Montana town provided by a benefactor, and that Zimmerman will never be able to pay for a drink down at the saloon, because he is the town hero.....

Actually, I think Zimmerman will only have to defend himself one more time, then freaks like Firefly will learn to stop bothering him.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:36 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
Hawkeye10 wrote:
because he is the town hero.....

Montanians have to be very special people, to proclaim a hero a man that stalked and murdered an innocent black teen just because he was black..

Do you have any evidence that this was murder, that Trayvon was innocent, or that the shooting was racially motivated?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:37 pm
@timur,
The Guardian wrote:
The world is aghast over Trayvon Martin. The US needs to look at itself
The jurors who acquitted George Zimmerman say they acted in strict accordance with US law. That in itself speaks volumes

We Americans like the fact that when there is no evidence of guilt, a not guilty verdict is required. It makes for a more just system.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:37 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
Your right to bear arms and use them is so ingrained that you cannot distinguish anymore between self-defense and racist murder.

Do you have any evidence that this was either racist or murder, or any evidence that it was not self defense?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
firefly wrote:
He can understand what Trayvon Martin felt that night, when a creepy white guy began following him in the dark, for no apparent reason, and you cannot...because he could have been Trayvon 35 years ago.

Wud Obama have been CIVIL
OR
wud he prefer beating the innocent fellow 's head against the street,
as the bad guy did before Zimmy shot him ??????????

It sounded like Obama was admitting that he liked to violently assault people when he was younger.

Actually I think this is just about him hating our freedom. He wants to make another run at violating our Constitutional gun rights, and is trying to lay the groundwork for such a move.
I dunno about that.
He felt like 3 kinds of a fool in front of the world
the last time that he failed at that. He was VERY upset.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:42 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
If Zimmerman was man enough, he would go bare hands to confront Trayvon Martin, who was unarmed..

Nonsense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:43 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
Do I need to remind you who is the murderer?

Do you have any evidence that this was murder?

timur wrote:
It has nothing to do with self-defense.

Do you have any evidence that this wasn't self defense?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
so, by your logic, Zimmermans next murder should be a piece of cake for the boy, seein as he got away with it all.

Where is your evidence that this was murder?

Where is your evidence that Zimmerman might murder in the future?

farmerman wrote:
Are you condoning that Zimmerperson be murdered too?

I recommend that Zimmerman remain heavily armed, and that he use decisive force against anyone who tries to harm him.

I suspect he will only have to do it once more, and then people will learn to leave him alone.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 03:45 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Firefly suggested that perhaps he didn't feel comfortable calling the police.
Sanford really don't have a good history with the black community there.

The Racist History of Sanford, Florida
Yea, he felt comfortable
beating the guy 's head against the street.
He assumed that his victim was un-armed; surprize!!!