The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

OmSigDAVID

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Hawkeye I am very upset as I voted for this man and had look up to this man and now
to find I had help an Al Sharpton junior become president.
If its any comfort, Bill,
I worked and voted for Nixon
and (after his death) I found out that he personally despised handguns.
If he had not resigned, then he 'd probably have tried to pass gun control.
(He was a Quaker, but he fought in the US Navy in WWII.)

BillRM wrote:
It going to become interesting if as a result
we get another political trial against Zimmerman.
I believe that he will not
choose to pursue it, in that the citizenry is sick of this case.
I might be mistaken, if he wishes to pander to his racial supporters.

If that happened, then I 'd look forward to the possibility
of the case ending up before the USSC, as having been in conflict with the HELLER case,
qua the right of self defense being the core value of the 2nd Amendment.
That 'd afford the Court the opportunity to expand its recognition of those rights.

I heard that Holder was trying to rob Zimmy of his gun.
I dunno if that is true or not. Its possible that Florida
might have returned it to him already.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
so I take it that you were not paying attention when Obama displayed this sleezy side of his character with the Crowley/Gates "beer summit"....pretty soon this fool will be speaking out about school yard fights, so bored and desperate for attention he is, stuck in a washington that no longer works and is rapidly becoming irrelevant as we give up on these attention whore yahoos who refuse to do their day jobs.
NO joke: I believe that we are better off
if thay DON T do what thay WUD do, if thay were on-the-job,
because what thay wud do is rob us of our freedom, if possible.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
hen Obama displayed this sleezy side of his character with the Crowley/Gates "beer summit"

I gave him a passes on that as neither the police officer or the homeowner acted correctly.

Only thinking that he as president should had waited for the facts to be better known before making comments.

In the Zimmerman/Trayvon case all the facts that will be known are known and a jury had spoken.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:44 pm
Freedom?

How free are we with the cameras on each street corner, the spying on e-mail and the last, but not the least act of recording each and every piece of mail we put in the mail box. Sure...it's only the outside of the envelope, but good Lord can't they ever leave us alone?
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:50 pm
Being black in America...means being subjected to bias even in our medical schools.
Quote:
Black surgeon to get $4.5 million in racial bias suit

Dr. Christian Head of UCLA's medical school alleged that the university failed to prevent discrimination and said he was routinely humiliated.

By Stephen Ceasar
July 18, 2013

Dr. Christian Head, a surgeon at UCLA's medical school, will receive $4.5 million to settle a racial discrimination lawsuit against the UC Board of Regents, the university system announced Thursday.

The agreement settles the lawsuit, filed in April, that accused the university of failing to prevent discrimination, harassment and retaliation against Head. The head and neck surgeon alleged that he was retaliated against for filing complaints through normal channels and was denied teaching opportunities.

Head, 51, also alleged that he was routinely publicly humiliated and once was depicted as a gorilla being sodomized in a slide show presentation during a resident graduation event.

"The case presented difficult issues of alleged discrimination and retaliation that were strongly contested," the university said in a statement. "…The matter was settled to the mutual satisfaction of the parties."

The regents approved the settlement in a closed-session meeting in San Francisco on Thursday.

During a 2006 event for faculty, staff and graduating medical school residents, a slide show created by the residents — and typically reviewed by staff — included a photo in which Head's face was superimposed on a gorilla that was being sodomized by a department chairman, according to the complaint.

Without admitting fault or liability, the university acknowledged that "an inappropriate slide was shown" and regrets the incident, the statement said.

Dr. Gerald Berke, chairman of the David Geffen School of Medicine's Department of Head and Neck Surgery, and Dr. Marilene Wang were named in the lawsuit and were accused of making "inappropriate racial comments and insinuations about blacks" and Head for years, the court document stated. Both are UCLA physicians and professors.

Neither Berke nor Wang could be reached for comment.

The settlement will be paid through a state general liability fund.

Head, who resigned from his position, could not be reached for comment. His attorneys deferred to the statement released by the university.

Head received his medical degree from Ohio State University in 1993. He joined UCLA's medical school as part of a fellowship in 1994, then worked as an intern in 1996 and began his residency there in 1997.

[email protected]

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ucla-settle-20130719,0,2751300.story
BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@Miller,
No one president can made a large difference in the problems of the black communities.

Slowly starting winding down the so call war on drugs that had turn the intercities into war zones and fund drug gangs would be helpful.

Encouraging congress to do away completely with the different penalties between cocaine and crack.

Using the US government ownership rights in the auto companies to force them to hire more people from the intercity of Detroit and so on.

But once more all this is just a drop in the bucket.
gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:54 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
"What city will be next".

Mainly cities with heavy significant union and demoKKKrat presences.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:54 pm
@gungasnake,
Does anyone know how much money the NRA paid this so called newsman?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:55 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Yes, ObamaCare sounds good.

That's the name of the game Miller. Sounding good.

Henry Fielding wrote in 1740 about the tennis being a neat metaphor for the courts of law.

Quote:
There are two balls, one of which they call [PLAINTIFF], and the other [DEFENDANT]. The Gamesters are furnish'd with rackets call'd [BRIEFS]. with which to beat the two balls from one to the other: young, robust Gamesters sometimes strike them away immediately, but those who are more experienc'd will keep them up till they are beaten to Pieces. As this is the most consummate Perfection in the Game, so they are reckon'd the most dextrous Gamesters, who strike the Ball in such a Manner to the Adversay, as he may be capable of returning it. There is sometimes one, and sometimes four Umpires of this Game; and it well play'd , it affords excellent Sport to the Spectators.

Rabelais had said previously that the game was played till the money ran out and then they tossed up.

One really does need to disagree with those who say that human nature doesn't change to claim Fielding's words are anachronistic. And he was an expert in Courts of Law.

Maybe Dylan will do a Hattie Carroll on the case.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:58 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Being black in America...means being subjected to bias even in our medical schools.

Yes, there's bias in medical, graduate and other professional schools. It is directed at blacks, women, Jews, Irish, asians, and even Catholics as well as many, many others.

It exists among students and unfortunately among faculty .

This discrimination seems never to end.

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Yes, ObamaCare sounds good. But if folks are starving and homeless, why would you think they'd be interested in ObamaCare or for that matter, any health insurance plan?

Obungacare only sounds good if you haven't paid attention. The idea of the typical American family coming up with $20,000/year for this BS is a physical impossibility and Obungacare, like Canute ordering the tide not to come in, amounts to mandating a physical impossibility.

Other than that, you are right about starving people not caring about health care. Similarly a neighbor of my brothers...

Quote:
I'd have voted for Romney for the economic issues but I have a teenage daughter, I couldn't chance it...

The teenage daughter is in far greater danger of STARVING due to Obunga economic policies than she is of right2lifers ever passing major abortion legislation.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:01 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Yes, there's bias in medical, graduate and other professional schools.

Bias is not help when a black president ID himself with a hoodlum that try to killed a Latin man for following him on the public streets.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:02 pm
Quote:
Black boys denied the right to be young
By Eugene Robinson,
July 15, 2013

Justice failed Trayvon Martin the night he was killed. We should be appalled and outraged, but perhaps not surprised, that it failed him again Saturday night, with a verdict setting his killer free.

Our society considers young black men to be dangerous, interchangeable, expendable, guilty until proven innocent. This is the conversation about race that we desperately need to have — but probably, as in the past, will try our best to avoid.

George Zimmerman’s acquittal was set in motion on Feb. 26, 2012, before Martin’s body was cold. When Sanford, Fla., police arrived on the scene, they encountered a grown man who acknowledged killing an unarmed 17-year-old boy. They did not arrest the man or test him for drug or alcohol use. They conducted a less-than-energetic search for forensic evidence. They hardly bothered to look for witnesses.

Only a national outcry forced authorities to investigate the killing seriously. Even after six weeks, evidence was found to justify arresting Zimmerman, charging him with second-degree murder and putting him on trial. But the chance of dispassionately and definitively establishing what happened that night was probably lost. The only complete narrative of what transpired was Zimmerman’s.

Jurors knew that Zimmerman was an overeager would-be cop, a self-appointed guardian of the neighborhood who carried a loaded gun. They were told that he profiled Martin — young, black, hooded sweatshirt — as a criminal. They heard that he stalked Martin despite the advice of a 911 operator; that the stalking led to a confrontation; and that, in the confrontation, Zimmerman fatally shot Martin in the chest.

The jurors also knew that Martin was carrying only a bag of candy and a soft drink. They knew that Martin was walking from a 7-Eleven to the home of his father’s girlfriend when he noticed a strange man in an SUV following him.

To me, and to many who watched the trial, the fact that Zimmerman recklessly initiated the tragic encounter was enough to establish, at a minimum, guilt of manslaughter. The six women on the jury disagreed.

Those jurors also knew that Martin, at the time of his death, was just three weeks past his 17th birthday. But black boys in this country are not allowed to be children. They are assumed to be men, and to be full of menace.

I don’t know if the jury, which included no African Americans, consciously or unconsciously bought into this racist way of thinking — there’s really no other word. But it hardly matters, because police and prosecutors initially did.

The assumption underlying their ho-hum approach to the case was that Zimmerman had the right to self-defense but Martin — young, male, black — did not. The assumption was that Zimmerman would fear for his life in a hand-to-hand struggle but Martin — young, male, black — would not.

If anyone wonders why African Americans feel so passionately about this case, it’s because we know that our 17-year-old sons are boys, not men. It’s because we know their adolescent bravura is just that — an imitation of manhood, not the real thing.

We know how frightened our sons would be, walking home alone on a rainy night and realizing they were being followed. We know how torn they would be between a child’s fear and a child’s immature idea of manly behavior. We know how they would struggle to decide the right course of action, flight or fight.

And we know that a skinny boy armed only with candy, no matter how big and bad he tries to seem, does not pose a mortal threat to a healthy adult man who outweighs him by 50 pounds and has had martial arts training (even if the lessons were mostly a waste of money). We know that the boy may well have threatened the man’s pride but likely not his life. How many murders-by-sidewalk have you heard of recently? Or ever?

The conversation we need to have is about how black men, even black boys, are denied the right to be young, to be vulnerable, to make mistakes. We need to talk about why, for example, black men are no more likely than white men to smoke marijuana but nearly four times as likely to be arrested for it — and condemned to a dead-end cycle of incarceration and unemployment. I call this racism. What do you call it?

Trayvon Martin was fighting more than George Zimmerman that night. He was up against prejudices as old as American history, and he never had a chance.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-black-boys-denied-the-right-to-be-young/2013/07/15/d3f603d8-ed69-11e2-9008-61e94a7ea20d_story.html
Miller

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:06 pm
If Zimmerman had been found guilty, do you think American hispanics would have rioted and marched throughout the USA?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:06 pm
@BillRM,
Again...

Want to do something to actually stop the carnage and raise a possibility of rational lives for some of these urban black kids?

• Outlaw and ban the demoKKKrat party.
  • Get rid of the "war on drugs" (take the money out of it).
  • Get rid of the department of education and public schools.
  • Get rid of pawn shops. (Take All the money out of every kind of crime).
  • Get rid of every kind of welfare program which involves handing money to anybody. Believe it or not, kids don't really get anything out of watching grown people OD-ing on drugs on "Mothers' Day". Provide food and shelter directly to people who need it, but tell them that MONEY and buying CHOICES come only from working.

mysteryman

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
so will their jobs disappear

So you are willing to hurt hundreds of innocent people, people that had nothing to do with the case, just to try and score publicity points?

That doesn't seem right to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@firefly,
Martin Luther King's dream just faded.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:14 pm
Quote:
On the "stand your ground" laws, Mr. Obama said the country has to ask itself whether such laws encourage violence. He asked people to consider what would have happened if Mr. Martin shot George Zimmerman instead of the other way around.

"Do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" Mr. Obama said. "And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323309404578615960169400522.html
OmSigDAVID

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:19 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
On the "stand your ground" laws, Mr. Obama said the country has to ask itself whether such laws encourage violence. He asked people to consider what would have happened if Mr. Martin shot George Zimmerman instead of the other way around.

"Do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" Mr. Obama said. "And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323309404578615960169400522.html
If someone is doing something as innocent
and harmless as following u,
then it is un-reasonable and irrational to attack him.
The statute is OK in that respect.

David
0 Replies

mysteryman

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
I don't understand why so many people are saying that justice failed Trayvon Martin.
The justice system worked perfectly.

Now before any of you get your panties in a twist, hear me out.
Our justice system calls for a trial by jury, and that's exactly what happened.
A jury heard and saw all the evidence, just like they were supposed to.
Both sides were represented by attorneys, and both sides were allowed to question the witnesses.

After hearing and seeing all the evidence, something none of us have done, the jury deliberated and made an informed, honest decision.

No matter what you think of the verdict, nobody can HONESTLY say that the justice system failed anyone.
You may not like the verdict, but the system worked perfectly.