The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:59 am
@firefly,
I hope that really has some results in addition to boycotting Florida oj and businesses including EPCOT. Without children, those places will shut down, and so will their jobs disappear. International boycott of South Africa worked wonders.
hawkeye10

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
south africa was boycotted by the corporate class...I dont see Florida as being in danger after decades of being one of the most corporate class friendly states.
cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:05 am
@hawkeye10,
That can change overnight if corporate America has a conscience. Consumers can boycott corporations that supports Florida. Funny how that works!
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm perfectly ready and willing to give up my Florida o.j. if a boycott is called for...and many others will do the same.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I hope that really has some results in addition to boycotting Florida oj and businesses including EPCOT.

In the mean time the bodies of young black males will keep piling up in very very large numbers around the nation year after year as the brain dead assume they are doing something worthwhile by a boycotted of Florida to protected those young males.

Crying shame that you can sell a bill of goods to far too many of the American public and by doing so help allowing conditions to keep existing that are taking the lives of tens of thousands of our young people.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:20 am
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/larry-elder-explodes-at-piers-over-zimmerman-youre-condescending-stupid-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:21 am
http://empowerpatriots.fwsites.org/?source=RLempowerLiveRead
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:23 am
BillRM says:

Quote:
Crying shame that you can sell a bill of goods to far too many of the American public and by doing so help allowing conditions to keep existing that are taking the lives of tens of thousands of our young people

Yeah, you mean like promoting the insane proliferation of guns in this country, and thinking that somehow makes us safer? Couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:29 am
To say nothing of allowing a criminal justice system to keep existing that ruin the lives of a very large percent of black males that do not end up being killed at the hands of other black males in growing up.

It is indeed sad how we, in not addressing, the real problems of our young black males are condemning far too many of them to either an early grave or a prison cell.

Neither of the above problems have anything to do with racist whites or the stand your ground law.

Hell our so call criminal justice system would had likely had locked up Trayvon for years or at best label him as a sex criminal for life if the fact that he had naked pictures of under age females on his cell phone have ever come out.

We need sane laws and the resources now employ in locking up a large percent of all black males to be employed to give them a real future.

We need real civil right leaders that would have sit ins at the state capital over the fact that one in three black men are not allowed to vote in Florida due to past felonies convictions instead of over trying to reduce the right of self defense.

Note I myself would cheerfully support a boycotted of Florida over the blocking of one in three black men from voting. But such an issue does not have the sex appeal of gun laws or self defense laws.
firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:29 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Florida Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican, recently reversed laws passed by previous Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, that automatically restored voting rights to felons once they were no longer under state supervision.

Quote:
Note I myself would cheerfully support a boycotted of Florida over the blocking of one in three black men from voting.

So, what have you actually done to try to get voting rights for felons restored?

What have you done to support stronger gun control laws that would keep shadow buyers from bringing more guns into inner cities?

Why shouldn't self-defense laws be more clearly defined, so they don't become a license to murder unarmed children?
Quote:

Crying shame that you can sell a bill of goods to far too many of the American public and by doing so help allowing conditions to keep existing that are taking the lives of tens of thousands of our young people.

It's the NRA that's doing that--that's who's selling that bill of goods. They fight every effort to try to keep guns from flowing into the inner cities.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:32 pm
@BillRM,
so what are you saying here Bill?......that the politicians of florida jumped on this cause and subverted the justice system to divert the attention of black folks away from just how atrocious the situation is for their kind regarding their treatment at the hands of the state?
BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:34 pm
It is a sad day when the man I voted for President two times just stated that he could have been Trayvom 35 years ago.

So he see nothing wrong with attacking and trying to killed a Latin man for the "crime" of following him on public streets and would had done so 35 years ago!

Sad days for our country indeed.
hawkeye10

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:36 pm
@BillRM,
well...Jimmy Carter said that according to the rule of law this verdict was the correct one, so we have at least one ex president who is not pandering to the mob. it is a little bit scary when compairing a current president to jimmy has jimmy looking like the wise defender of democracy. without the law being obeyed by the state we the people have no rights at all.
BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye one of our current governor first tasks on taking office was to slow down an already very very slow process of returning voting rights after being convicted of a felony in the state of Florida.

He also play games with early voting cutting it down by half as that would affect Democrates more then Republicans and most blacks are Democrates.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
It is a sad day when the man I voted for President two times just stated that he could have been Trayvom 35 years ago.

What's the matter, BillRM, he just reminded you he is black? He just reminded you that he understands, first hand, what racial profiling is like, and you don't?

He understands the racial situation in this country, and the racial history of this country, in a way that someone like you will never be able to do.

What's sad is that you cannot connect to what the President was saying. What's sad is that you cannot understand what the reality of life is like for someone whose skin is a darker color than your own.

What's sad is your inability to listen, and learn from, remarks like those the President made today.

He can understand what Trayvon Martin felt that night, when a creepy white guy began following him in the dark, for no apparent reason, and you cannot...because he could have been Trayvon 35 years ago.

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye I am very upset as I voted for this man and had look up to this man and now to find I had help an Al Sharpton junior become president.

A man who does not look beyond skin color to the facts of a situation.

It going to become interesting if as a result we get another political trial against Zimmerman.
hawkeye10

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:02 pm
@BillRM,
so I take it that you were not paying attention when Obama displayed this sleezy side of his character with the Crowley/Gates "beer summit"....pretty soon this fool will be speaking out about school yard fights, so bored and desperate for attention he is, stuck in a washington that no longer works and is rapidly becoming irrelevant as we give up on these attention whore yahoos who refuse to do their day jobs.
firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:07 pm
Quote:

The New York Times
July 19, 2013
In Wake of Zimmerman Verdict, Obama Makes Extensive Statement on Race in America

By MARK LANDLER

WASHINGTON — President Obama, making a surprise appearance on Friday in the White House briefing room to address the verdict in the Trayvon Martin killing, spoke in personal terms about the experience of being a black man in the United States, trying to put the case in the perspective of African-Americans. They were Mr. Obama’s most extensive comments on race since 2008, and his most extensive as president.

“I think it’s important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that — that doesn’t go away,” Mr. Obama said in the briefing room. “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me.”

A jury on Saturday found George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, not guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of Mr. Martin in early 2012. The verdict has elicited marches and protests across the country, although there has been little violence. The killing of Mr. Martin, an unarmed black teenager, ignited a national debate on racial profiling and civil rights.

Mr. Obama issued a statement shortly after the verdict. But on Friday, he talked more broadly about his own feelings about the verdict and the impact it has had among African-Americans. “You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” he said. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

He added: “I don’t want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African-American community interprets what happened one night in Florida. And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear.”

Mr. Obama also said he and his staff were examining policy options, and he raised questions about the wisdom of laws like Florida’s Stand Your Ground law.

“I think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if it — if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case, rather than diffuse potential altercations,” the president said.

Mr. Obama spoke in deeply personal terms — an extraordinary moment for a president who seemed, at least during first term, often to shy away from the issue of race.

In the past, Mr. Obama has used his platform as the nation’s first African-American president to draw attention to the arts — as he did when he honored the singer Stevie Wonder at the White House — or black history, as he did when he spoke at the dedication of a memorial to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. But he has drawn criticism, including from some black leaders, for not addressing the black experience, particularly in impoverished urban areas, head on.

That seemed to change on Friday, as Mr. Obama tried to give voice to protesters who are expressing themselves in the streets.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/us/in-wake-of-zimmerman-verdict-obama-makes-extensive-statement-on-race-in-america.html?hp&_r=0

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:12 pm
@firefly,
BillRM is a lost cause where it concerns blacks living in the US. Talking to him is a waste of time, because what he believes about himself, that he's color-blind, is the key to his racial bigotry. He's blind, all right, and it's not about color. He's blind about his own bigotry.
Miller

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
Quote:
But he has drawn criticism, including from some black leaders, for not addressing the black experience, particularly in impoverished urban areas, head on

There seems to be a feeling in Chicago, that Obama has forgotten, that he did receive his start in Illinois and in particular Chicago. As far as I know, he has done very little to ease the 10% unemployment rate in Chicago and he has contributed little to the rejuvenation of Chicago's West and South sides, while being the nation's first black President.

When we look today at the City of Detroit, we can only ask, "What city will be next". Has Obama done anything to help people living in the inner city of Detroit? He made a really big effort to dig out the automobile makers in Michigan, but what about the common, little folks who're trying to stay afloat?

Yes, ObamaCare sounds good. But if folks are starving and homeless, why would you think they'd be interested in ObamaCare or for that matter, any health insurance plan?