The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:35 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Oh, please, Zimmerman did not have every reason to wonder why Martin was not going home

Wrong...he have every right to think that Trayvon actions was odd if that how he saw it.

Quote:
Martin had a right to be out at night if he wanted to

One hundred percent true however he did not have a right to attacked Zimmerman for following him and a jury had agree with me over that issue.
gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:36 am
http://www.splicd.com/sy3PzSr1-Zg/92/183

Quote:
"But for the rabble-rousers, we wouldn't even be talking about this case..."

"Rabble rousers"... He must have Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Bork Obunga, and Eric Holder in mind...

Question: What does that make the broken-record crew HERE (firefly, CI, paradork, monkeyjerk et. al.) into??

That's right:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rabble

Quote:

1. A tumultuous crowd; a mob.
2. The lowest or coarsest class of people. Often used with the.
3. A group of persons regarded with contempt: "After subsisting on the invisible margins of the art scene ... he was 'discovered' in the mid-80's, along with a crowd of like-minded rabble from the East Village" (Richard B. Woodward).

revelette

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:45 am
@BillRM,
Like I said we are not going to agree. You are right a jury found Zimmerman not guilty of the charges he brought against him. A jury also found O.J. Simpson not guilty. Although we respect the verdict, it does not mean it ends there in this land as was also the case with O.J. Simpson.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:55 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the problem is more that he brought the skittles and arizona tea at 6:24 but was still loitering around the housing area at 7:09 whan Zimmerman first called the cops. martin was not going home, and zimmerman had every reason to wonder why not.

and how did Zimmerman know how long it had been since the skittles and tea had been purchased? had he been following Trayvon from the store? that would put an interesting spin on things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:58 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Why make it a race issue?

why? because race is still an issue in many parts of the United States

I see truly disgusting racist comments on FB every day from American "friends" and "friends of friends". I hate it, but I'm glad I see it because it reminds me what people are like.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:00 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Martin didn't have the right to attack Zimmerman because of being followed. Martin brought this on himself when he thought it was ok to attack the "creepy as cracker" because he was following him. There was no force from Zimmerman, the only force used until a gun shot rang out was from Martin. You guys always forget to mention that Martin was hitting Zimmerman and not the other way around.

Cool! You have a video tape! Why hasn't this come to light before?!?!?

Oh, wait; you're just making **** up that you can't possibly know.
DrewDad

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:00 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

We don't know who started the confrontation, it could have happened as firefly described (a fight over his gun) or it could have been Martin fearing for his life standing his ground from a stalker. Are blacks prohibited from using the stand your defense?

Or Zimmerman could have grabbed Martin by the arm or shoulder.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:03 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon so there was nothing at all preventing Trayvon from going home...

There was also nothing preventing Zimmerman from continuing to drive to Target, which was where he was headed when he spotted Martin--he had called the police, and that ended any responsibility he had as a neighborhood watch, and he had not witnessed any crime.
Quote:
and surely there was nothing to stopped him from calling 911 himself if he was so very very fearful...

Except that young black males know that the police are not always friendly to them, and, for that reason, they are not always quick to call the police for help.

You have no conception of what it's like to be a young black male, or a black male of any age. You wear the blinders of your privileged white skin, and you have no interest in understanding, or listening to, what black people have to say on this matter, or why they are so concerned about racial profiling, or why they are taking to the streets in protest. You just don't get it, and neither did Zimmerman.

Trayvon Martin was a kid, a black kid who was doing nothing more than meandering home from a trip to the store, when he found himself being stalked, in the dark, by a creepy white guy for no apparent reason. Zimmerman was ostensibly the responsible adult, one who was ostensibly responsible enough to walk around carrying a loaded gun, and the one who should have been able to exercise the more mature and better judgment. Instead, Zimmerman pre-judged this kid as "guilty" of some criminal activity, solely on the basis of physical appearance, and stalked him like prey, determined not to let him get away. And Zimmerman made sure he never got away...

Stop with the nonsense that this vigilante was "protecting" his community--he wound up killing an innocent kid who was a guest in that community. Trayvon Martin belonged there. Zimmerman was a danger to his own community if those staying there couldn't make a trip to the store without being profiled, followed, menaced, and shot by him.

Since you share Zimmerman's tendencies regarding biased racial profiling, there is no way you can understand this issue. All you do is continue to display your ignorance and your arrogance as a white male.

0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:04 am
@gungasnake,
It strange and sad that we are not talking about the mountain of dead young black men that had been killed in the last year and year after year in this nation
due to the fact that for the most part it is other black young men who are doing the killing not a white or a latin man.

All other groups the leading cause of deaths of teenagers are accidents by far and only when it come to black teenagers is it killings at the hands of other black young men.

Love the crying about black young men are at great risk of being killed by white racist guns nuts instead of the true fact that the biggest risk factor is coming from their own group by far.

If you wish to keep a black male teenager as safe as possible from violence the best bet is picking a state with few other black males not a state without a stand your ground law.
BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:06 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Cool! You have a video tape! Why hasn't this come to light before?!?!?

Oh, wait; you're just making **** up that you can't possibly know.

We do have the opinion of a jury and the physical evidence that lead to the verdict.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the problem is more that he brought the skittles and arizona tea at 6:24 but was still loitering around the housing area at 7:09 whan Zimmerman first called the cops....

Question: Have there been any more burglaries in that neighborhood since Trayvon Martin was removed from it?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:23 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
If you wish to keep a black male teenager as safe as possible from violence the best bet is picking a state with few other black males not a state without a stand your ground law..

Once again, the one variable which correlates most perfectly with urban pathology in the United States is degree of demoKKKrat infestation.

Want to do something to actually stop the carnage and raise a possibility of rational lives for some of these urban black kids?

• Outlaw and ban the demoKKKrat party.
  • Get rid of the "war on drugs" (take the money out of it).
  • Get rid of the department of education and public schools.
  • Get rid of pawn shops. (Take All the money out of every kind of crime).
  • Get rid of every kind of welfare program which involves handing money to anybody. Believe it or not, kids don't really get anything out of watching grown people OD-ing on drugs on "Mothers' Day". Provide food and shelter directly to people who need it, but tell them that MONEY and buying CHOICES come only from working.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:29 am
True story here...

I'm up in Vermont on some business a few years back and I'm picking up a few things in the local grocery store and listening to a conversation which I assumed involved theories on race, which sounded sort of like

Quote:
....shiftless worthless bastards, just a total drain on society, highest IQ in the regions gotta be about 40, about what you'd expect after four generations living on welfare...

Quote:
....Nothin a B-29 raid like in 45 couldn't take care of, be doin the world a favor...

And this had been going on for six or eight minutes at the point I went to check out and somebody said something or other to me and I replied that there was no shortage of people like they were describing around the D.C. area where I lived, and one of the Vermonters replied:

Quote:
"Yeah, but down there, they're all BLACK..."

Those guys had not been talking about blacks at all; they were talking about the cumulative effect of rogue political parties and uncontrolled government programs, and it was clear enough that race was not a factor, and that whites would be affected the same way anybody else is under the same circumstances.

My guess at the time was that they were talking about Burlington, but I'm not even sure of that.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:35 am
Seems I'm nont the only person on Earth with my opinion of pawn shops...

0 Replies

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
All other groups the leading cause of deaths of teenagers are accidents by far and only when it come to black teenagers is it killings at the hands of other black young men...

So why do you oppose the tighter gun laws to stop the influx of guns into our inner cities--guns often purchased by shadow buyers?

You don't give a damn about the welfare of black men in our society. As long as they kill each other, that seems to be fine with you.

You don't give a damn about the unnecessary and horrendous gun violence in our society.

And it's probably upsetting you that thousands and thousands have taken to the streets in peaceful protests, and even more will probably do that tomorrow, because you were one of those predicting riots before Zimmerman was arrested--because you can't even see blacks as capable of effective social and political action.

I hope that Sharpton can effectively harness enough political power to get the self-defense laws in Florida changed so that people, like Zimmerman, will not continue to get away with murdering unarmed children. You don't bring a gun to a fist fight. You don't provoke and instigate and then claim "self-defense". There have to be objective criteria for evaluating fear for one's life, just saying, "I felt threatened," is not enough, because it's too subjective to be defined by law, and for a jury to reasonably consider.

I have great faith in the organizational skills of black leaders to be able to mobilize the response to get those Florida laws changed--laws that even the Zimmerman jurors want to see changed.

This trial is over. The next step is political and social action to effectively channel protest... and it's coming.
gungasnake

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:52 am
@firefly,
Quote:
The next step is political and social action to ...

Political action to shame the RABBLE (you) who bought into this bullshit...
BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:19 am
@gungasnake,
Hell it was a great story that fit in nicely with the news writers worldviews even if you needed to rewrite the facts a little.

Evil racist white guy carrying a gun due to insane gun laws killed a poor innocent black child on his way home carrying candy.

Of course you needed to overlook the fact that Zimmerman was not in fact white but of mixed races.

That the boy was 17 years old and compared to Zimmerman in size by showing a pictures of him at 14 or so.

Zimmerman background seems to show he did not have a racist bone in his body but we will fixed that by editing the 911 tape to give the impression that Zimmerman was most concern over the skin color of the person he had concerns about.

In short a lovely lovely story proving that racists with the aid of Florida guns and self defense laws are going around randomly killing innocent black children.

It was well worth the trouble to pound the facts to fit the story.

firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:44 am
@BillRM,
http://www.therightperspective.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/racial-profiling.jpg
http://araineyr.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/5591racialprofiling.jpg
firefly

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:55 am
Quote:
Will George Zimmerman Bring Down a Governor?
Racial and ethnic conflicts have a history of shaping elections in Florida, and the state's Democrats are counting on it happening again.
by Beth Reinhard
July 19, 2013

Rick Scott couldn’t do much worse among black voters than in 2010, when only 6 percent backed him for governor.

Or could he? African-American leaders outraged by the not-guilty verdict in the death of teenager Trayvon Martin are assailing Scott for supporting the “Stand Your Ground” law that arguably helped Martin’s killer, George Zimmerman, go free. Students protesters are camping out in the governor’s office, musician Stevie Wonder has announced a boycot,t and Attorney General Eric Holder denounced the law at the NAACP convention in Orlando earlier this week.

If black voters turn out in force against Scott in 2014, they could swing a race as close as his last, which he won by only 61,550 votes. Black voters comprised between 11 percent and 14 percent of the vote in recent gubernatorial elections, and their share of the electorate is on the rise. Racial and ethnic conflicts, such as the bitter debate in 2000 over custody of Cuban rafter Elian Gonzalez, have a history of shaping elections in the nation’s largest swing state.

“Stand Your Ground is becoming a rallying cry against Rick Scott in the minority community,” said Senate Democratic Leader Chris Smith, who led a task force that examined the law and pushed for changes. “It’s another reason for the minority community to stay active, and we’re talking about a governor’s race that will be close and won at the margins.”

Scott’s likely Democratic opponents on Thursday joined the criticism of his leadership after the racially polarizing trial. “I'm troubled that we don't have a governor that can bring people together after such an emotional and personal public debate,” said Charlie Crist, the former Republican governor who switched parties and is expected to challenge Scott. "No law is perfect, and it seems to me that Trayvon's tragic death provides an opportunity for a real dialogue on how we can improve our laws to ensure that we are protecting self-defense while not creating a defense for criminals.”

Democratic Sen. Nan Rich, who’s struggling to gain traction in the polls after running against Scott for more than one year, mocked him for being out of town during the sit-in in his office, though he returned to Tallahassee late Thursday and met with protesters. “I think he’s afraid to come back,” Rich quipped. “Leadership is lacking, and we need leadership from the governor to change this law.”

Alex Sink, the state’s former chief financial officer who narrowly lost to Scott in 2010 and is considering a rematch, called him “incompetent” for waiting two days before meeting with the protestors. “He’s not equipped to be governor,” she said. She also thinks the Stand Your Ground law should be re-examined.

That line of attack comes with risks. A Quinnipiac University poll earlier this year found 57 percent of Florida voters support the law that says a person may use deadly force if they believe their life is in danger. Crist, a longtime gun-rights supporter, endorsed the law as the state attorney general when it was signed in 2005 by former Republican Gov. Jeb Bush. Rich and other Senate Democrats voted for the law, though she now thinks it should be amended. She noted that the defense didn’t argue the law in the case, but it affected the instructions given to the jury.

Scott has called Martin’s death a “terrible tragedy” but has ignored calls for a special legislative session to revise the law. On Friday, he issued a proclamation for a "statewide day of prayer for unity" on Sunday. "Emotions are running high as we continue to grieve the loss of Trayvon and the toll that the tragic events surrounding his death have taken on the community of Sanford, Florida, and other communities across our state," reads the proclamation.

But even the Republican lawmaker who sponsored the law, Rep. Dennis Baxley, is concerned about political repercussions. “People are looking to 2014 and need a banner to run on, and this could be it,” he said. “They’re not going to have Barack Obama on the ballot to excite the people with his charisma, so they’re going to fan the flames and make this an issue that is going to be motivational for turnout.”

Other Republican leaders were skeptical that the controversy would last but were wary of saying something that would seem insensitive to the black teenager’s death.

“I think this issue is going to be dicey for political candidates because voters could turn against them,” said Democratic fundraiser John Morgan, Crist’s close ally and law partner. “White voters see it as having a right to protect our neighborhoods and black voters see it as a license to kill. No one wants to get past the bumper stickers.”

The Quinnipiac University poll that included the Stand Your Ground law found a stark racial divide, with 62 percent of white voters in support and 61 percent of black voters opposed. Zimmerman, a neighborhood crime-watch volunteer in the town of Sanford, said he shot Martin in self-defense after the teenager beat him up. Martin was unarmed. A jury on Saturday acquitted Zimmerman of second-degree murder, sparking non-violent protests around the state.

The last Republican candidate to do as poorly as Scott in the black community was former Gov. Bush, who was asked during his unsuccessful 1994 campaign what he would do for black voters. “Probably nothing,” he said, and he received only 4 percent of the vote. Bush helped repair his image in the black community by starting an inner-city charter school and won 14 percent of the vote in his successful 1998 bid.

The high-water mark for a Republican candidate in Florida was likely set by Crist, who received 18 percent of the black vote in his 2006 campaign for governor. He received high marks from African-American leaders for helping felons get their voting rights restored and extending early voting hours in President Obama’s 2008 election, but his political career was cut short when Republican Marco Rubio trounced him in the 2010 Senate race.

“It’s hard to say what the Trayvon Martin trial will mean in 14 or 15 months and where it lands in the overall dialogue of the campaign,” said Democratic strategist Steve Schale, who helped Obama carry the state in 2008 and 2012. “It’s not the kind of issue you can run a campaign on, but it’s an emotional issue for everyone involved.”

The June poll by Quinnipiac University pegged Scott's approval at 43 percent, a high point since his election, though he was trailing Crist by 10 points in a potential matchup.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/will-george-zimmerman-bring-down-a-governor-20130719?print=true
hawkeye10

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:56 am
@firefly,
Racial Profiling....either suspicious or not suspicious, awaiting more information.
0 Replies