Was the death of the blue collar class a good thing?

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 06:32 pm
I grew up in Detroit, the daughter of a blue collar worker and a housewife. All of my friends wanted nothing more than to leave the blue collar existence behind but not necessarily in the economic sense: Michigan in the 1950s and 1960s was a pretty good place to live. Workers were paid more than those with equivalent jobs in neighboring states (comparing folks in civil service jobs in Ohio). Our parents could purchase small houses, and families ate really well. There were summer vacations and days off that included day trips or picnics or swimming or boating.

As a leftist student, my vision was working as a professional part-time and sharing home chores and kid caring with my husband. We would have the same life in economic terms that our parents had but without hubby working full time. Intellectually, life would be fuller and richer.

A friend who wasn't college material took a job in the offices of Ford Motor right after high school. She worked as a collator,a job that is part of most copying machines today. She could afford an apartment and bought a new car. She also vacationed in the Caribbean. Seems to me that a blue collar worker is entitled to that sort of life. Comfortable and secure.

Today, secretaries are administrative assistants and generally have college degrees. But an entry level aa here in Boston can't live as well as my friend did in a job that had lower status.

the right hates the people that qualify for the Earned Income Dividend on their tax returns,but those people live below the poverty level.

As a substitute teacher, I wonder what choices the kids who aren't going to college will have. Where will they live? What jobs will they do?

That makes me think that the death of the blue collar class was wrong. Moving blue collar positions, like store management, into the white collar classification contributed to the economic mess we're in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,140 • Replies: 159
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:32 pm
Well thought out and written post. I agree with most of it except for a couple of points:

Quote:
the right hates the people that qualify for the Earned Income Dividend on their tax returns,but those people live below the poverty level.

The fact is that the Earned Income Credit was a Republican invention and every raise in the EIC since that time has been by Republican initiative.

Quote:
Seems to me that a blue collar worker is entitled to that sort of life. Comfortable and secure.

I wish we were all 'entitled' to comfort, security, the 'good life', but most of us have no such entitlement and are required to work for what we want rather than have others support us.

Having said that, the blue collar class is alive and well in New Mexico, but I don't doubt that it has diminished over the last couple of decades. I do think, however, that we are in a transition between industry trends. Much of the small manufacturing work once available has been outsourced to countries where labor is so much cheaper. Every time this has happened though, a new industry has been raised up and it will be interesting to see what that will be this time.

Maybe a little off topic but still related, I do think our lawmakers are going to have to take a good hard look at the regulations they impose on American employers. Every hike in the minimum wage, every new rule requiring more benefits to be extended to workers, every union contract that limits the amount of work a worker is allowed to do increases the cost of doing business and makes foreign labor pools look all that more attractive. I do believe there needs to be laws requiring reasonably safe work practices and workplace, but if we continue to try to legislate a better deal for the domestic work force, we will see more and more jobs outsourced and more and more foreign countries benefitting from our largesse.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:26 pm
I wonder if this is not going to be the base for a new "military class." This is the group that has traditionally volnteered for enlisted service.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
The blue collar worker is no where near dead. There are gas stations and garages on every corner of every town in greater Boston - all of the mechanics that work in them are blue collar workers.

Over the last few years it's been almost impossible to hire a general contractor, electrician, plumber or carpenter to do any sort of major work on your home - they're all to busy, they don't bother to even return your phone calls because they don't have time to deal with your measly $40,000 project.

There are hundreds of factors that play in to the shift in job opportunities, pay and the cost of living (one of them be an over-inflated housing market in greater Boston over the last 15 years) but blue collar workers are still out there in force.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:20 am
It's quite a reach to blame this on politicians. Any changes you see like this should be laid at the feet of the greedy companies who are interested in nothing more than paying out their dividends rather than caring for their employees.

On a different note, I wonder why it is that people in the twenty-first century are still talking about "classes" of people. That whole concept seems like such a 1930 Communist Workers of the World notion. By segregating people into blue collar and white collar "classes," they could get the blue collar people to envy what the white collar people had, so the would go out on demonstrations and strikes, and elect the candidate who promised to "create more jobs" in some unspecified fashion.

... ... ...

Okay, minor rant concluded, nothing to see here, move along, please.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:42 am
Class
"most of us have no such entitlement and are required to work for what we want rather than have others support us."

Statements like that are one of the many reason I dislike Right Wingers intensly.

Soon there will be three classes the Wealthy and the Working Poor and the Destitute. That's what the Corps and Right Wing wants.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:37 am
Re: Class
pistoff wrote:
"most of us have no such entitlement and are required to work for what we want rather than have others support us."

Statements like that are one of the many reason I dislike Right Wingers intensly.

Soon there will be three classes the Wealthy and the Working Poor and the Destitute. That's what the Corps and Right Wing wants.

The stupidity of people who think they have an entitlement to a Caribbean vacation is what gives lefties a bad name.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:21 am
Other than my mother, I dislike everyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:33 am
One does wonder if "Lady Liberty" any longer has the right to contend that she lifts her lamp beside the golden door . . .
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:49 am
One of the new buzzwords the left is using these days is "dignity." They want everyone to be guaranteed to earn a minimum amount of money so everyone can live with "dignity." Apparently this goal can be met by separating people from their money and giving it to other people who don't work, thus guaranteeing "dignity." This is also known as an attempt to "level the playing field" so those who have larger amounts of money (and presumably don't "need" all of it) can subsidize those who, for one reason or another, don't have quite so much money.

Or, in other words:

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
- Karl Marx
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:53 am
blatham wrote:

Well, your mom makes pudding on Saturday nights. I'd like her too. mmm.. pudding. Razz
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:56 am
or, we could go with this one...

"Give all that you own to the poor" - Jesus
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:57 am
fishin' wrote:
blatham wrote:

Well, your mom makes pudding on Saturday nights. I'd like her too. mmm.. pudding. Razz

My mother is dead. She'd become a problem. We took her out back and shot her.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:58 am
blatham wrote:

Jesus was a terrorist!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:59 am
A fiscally responsible choice.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:05 am
patiodog wrote:
A fiscally responsible choice.

Yes, we downsized family.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:07 am
blatham wrote:

But.. Now who's going to make the dang pudding? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:08 am
hobitbob wrote:
blatham wrote:

Jesus was a terrorist!

He was a goddamn pinko liberal, what with that 'throw the first stone' crap and all. He probably even spoke out in opposition to the sitting government, I'll bet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tarantulas wrote:
Or, in other words:

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
- Karl Marx

Ah, it is comforting to know that the legacy of "Tailgunner Joe McCarthy" lives on. Have you checked under your bed for commies today, Boss?
0 Replies

blatham

fishin' wrote:
blatham wrote:

But.. Now who's going to make the dang pudding? Crying or Very sad

There will be no more pudding.
0 Replies