Doing Low Carb? Constipated? Laxative Makers Want You!

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
The popularity of the Atkins and South Beach diets have changed the demographics of the folks grabbing laxatives off supermarket shelves. The companies are directing their ads to assure the low-carb folks that taking their products will not sabotage their regimens:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040330/D81KUBOG0.html

What do you think? Have you Atkins afficianados and South Beach boosters increased your intake of laxatives? Would the phrase "0 Carbs" make a difference in the product that you would purchase
?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 13
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
Low carbs! A few years back, it was carbo loading! Just eat small amounts of everything and be healthy!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Keebler's and Kraft have both closed cracker factories because of low carb diets. (They have also reduced prices on crackers).

Italian restaurants are selling less pasta.

The deli counters in the local supermarkets are plastered with "low carb" signs.

When you drop a stone in water, the ripples....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
This atkins thing should be over once they get negative long term health effects from it.

It's probably good that people are cutting some of the carbs out of their diets - but the atkins diet is a stupid fad diet, and probably won't last that long.

Of course, that's what I said about NSync and the Backstreet boys.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:25 am
I think that the low fat diets probably make people more constipated. Fat in the diet eases the movement of feces through the intestine.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm
Miller--

Sorry, but high fat is constipating. Fiber (what used to be called "roughage" is what keeps the bowel in motion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
no fighting about the digestive process now Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:25 pm
Did you know that if you have a high percentage of fat in your diet, your feces will float?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:49 pm
Noddy- That is much more about feces than I ever wanted to know! Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:53 pm
husker wrote:
no fighting about the digestive process now Wink

My goodness No! Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Did you know that if you have a high percentage of fat in your diet, your feces will float?

If you have a high % of fat in your diet, did you know that your corneas will develope a skin-like layer of lipoidal material over them? Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:55 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Miller--

Sorry, but high fat is constipating. Fiber (what used to be called "roughage" is what keeps the bowel in motion.

High fat never constipated me!! All that it did was give me the "runs"! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:58 pm
Phoenix--

The trouble with that sort of fact is that you don't forget it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Fat is not constipating and does play a role in keeping people regular. It also allows fat soluable vitamins to be used by the body.
0 Replies