Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:19 pm
Paula Dean just got booted from the Food Network. A past use of the "N-word" on her part was a factor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-fired-food-network-cancels-show-after-racism-scandal_n_3480517.html

This whole business is very damaging to her brand.

Any thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 33,286 • Replies: 773

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:28 pm
@firefly,
The Daily Beast has been digging up more...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/19/paula-deen-uses-the-n-word-7-shocking-details-from-her-deposition.html
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:23 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
. But she does use the N-word!
Deen admitted to using the N-word in her life, after a “black man” put a gun to her head at a bank where she was working. She said she used it because she “didn’t feel real favorable towards him.” She also said she’s sure she’s used the word since, “but it’s been a very long time” and guessed that she probably used it when quoting “a conversation between blacks.”

Hmm so there is now a requirement of being PC after just having a gun placed at you head and your life hanging by the pressure of a few pounds of trigger pull?

She should had been arrested and the bank robber given a civil suit settlement for having his feeling hurt by being called a racist name.

She does not sound too bright with the vocabulary that constructions workers are suppose to have......but still come on now.

Oh if you have a desire to have a wedding in Hawaii with tall good looking half dress natives[males/females] of that island in full costumes that could get you into trouble as after all we seized their islands from them and placed whites over them for generations?

It would not matter how must you like the Elvis Presley movie that had a similar wedding in it?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:48 pm
She's got a $17 million business empire that's in jeopardy because of all the publicity from the lawsuit. And getting fired from the Food Network is bringing even more publicity to the suit, and negative publicity to her.

That's on top of her having publicly hidden her own type 2 diabetes, while she continued to cook and peddle high fat/high sugar foods and recipes.

Paula's got a lot of PR damage control to do. It remains to be seen how successful she'll be in salvaging her brand.
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:55 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Paula's got a lot of damage control to do. It remains to be seen how successful she'll be.

Hopefully she had save enough money not to need to worry over the subject and can cheerfully retired.

Maybe writing another book or so or even have a cooking internet TV show for that matter.

Both radio and TV shows produced and broadcast over the internet is becoming more popular and common.

Footnote all the local talk shows other then sport was taken off the radio dial in the Miami area a few years ago and the results have been an internet radio station at sofloradio.net with all the lay off local talents that is doing just fine.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:03 pm
@BillRM,
Im selling all my LARD futures as well as pork bellies.
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im selling all my LARD futures as well as pork bellies.

I would not be too fast to do that as one I would bet that the food channel are getting more heat over firing her then support and remember Martha Stewart comeback after serving her fed prison sentence?

Keep those LARD futures.
firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:17 pm
@BillRM,
I think Paula's dilemma is more toxic than Martha Stewart's was.
Eva

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:22 pm
If she'd said it on air, I'd be the first to agree with them cancelling her contract.

But if they start firing people for everything they say or do on their own time, we may not have any shows left to watch.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:26 pm
@BillRM,
well, futures are just that, ya gotta act quick and not worry about "sit and hold" futures are volatile and Ill bet bellies and lard go belly up for a while (
Maybe I should SHORT my bellies
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:28 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I think Paula's dilemma is more toxic than Martha Stewart's was.

Time will tell but once more my bet that those people who enjoy her cooking show are more annoy at the food network then they are concern about her using the n word decades ago and for which she had apologize for.

Hell her spin people could get someone like the Rev Jackson or Rev Sharpton to interview her and take her apologize in person therefore turning the food network into the bad guys for not taking this southern girl heart felt apologize for long ago sins that she just feel awful about.
firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:31 pm
@Eva,
Actually, they didn't cancel her contract, they're just not renewing it when it expires next month.

I can't say that I blame them, she's getting involved in too many scandals or bad publicity, and they might not want to get themselves embroiled in her problems or put themselves in the position of promoting someone with the PR problems she's been having.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:34 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
But if they start firing people for everything they say or do on their own time, we may not have any shows left to watch.

Technology will come to the aid one more getting the gate keepers such as the owners of the food network out of the loop to a great degree.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:34 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM, she and her brother are currently involved in a discrimination and sexual harassment lawsuit. The whole lawsuit is a problem for her. The "N-word" business is just one of the things that came out in her deposition for that suit.

She's in a toxic mess for her brand.

I think she also sells her stuff on QVC. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:40 pm
@firefly,
B
Quote:
illRM, she and her brother are currently involved in a discrimination and sexual harassment lawsuit. The whole lawsuit is a problem for her. The "N-word" business is just one of the things that came out in her deposition for that suit.

She's in a toxic mess for her brand.

Do you for real think that those people who find her cooking show worthwhile care about such issues to the point that they would not watch the show?
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
As Revered Wright said your chickens have come have come home to roost!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:45 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Do you for real think that those people who find her cooking show worthwhile care about such issues to the point that they would not watch the show?

Do you think the Food Network really wants to chance that? Particularly if they can just choose not to renew her contract? Why should the Food Network want to get themselves any more enmeshed in her problems, and possible potential problems, if they can opt out now? They're running a business too.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:48 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Or any one with jobs at all.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:54 pm
Yup, she sells her cookware, cooking utensils, cups and dishes, etc. on QVC. That's a huge market for her in terms of the amount of merchandise they sell.

Time will tell if QVC will stick with her...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:17 pm
@firefly,
She was pretty unapologetic in the court testimony, but has since had a change of heart when it starts to hit the bottom line.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:03:43