Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:27 pm
I pay so little attention, in general, to Paula Deen, that I just realized I misspelled her last name in the title of this thread, and in my posts. I really didn't realize it was Deen and not Dean. Oh well...now I know how she spells it.

I found this writer's take on the current Paula Deen controversy interesting. It was written before Food Network announced they were not renewing her contract.
Quote:
Less Than Accidental Racist: Why Paula Deen’s Comments Insult Her Fans Too

Deen made a pile of money off a certain idea of old-school southern culture. She had an obligation not to embody its most shameful history and attitudes.

By James Poniewozik
June 20, 2013

“I can’t, myself, determine what offends another person,” says Paula Deen in the transcript of a deposition for a workplace-discrimination lawsuit that surfaced yesterday. By today, I’m thinking, she might have a better idea.

For instance: admitting that she has used “the N word” (in her and the lawyer’s words)–”of course,” and probably on more than one occasion. Defending telling racial and ethnic jokes: “it’s just what they are, they’re jokes.” And wishing she could plan a “Southern plantation wedding” for her brother, with African American servers in the part of antebellum slaves. (Deen reportedly didn’t go through with that idea because, you know, “the media” would have twisted it into something. Those media! Always turning folks’ innocent plantation-slave parties into something racist!)

The transcript, published by the Huffington Post after initial reports in the National Enquirer, came in a discrimination and sexual-harassment lawsuit by a former employee against Deen and her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers. The lawsuit’s specific allegations are still being litigated, but Deen’s on-the-record comments–her rationalization of racism maybe even more so than her admissions–could be even more damaging to the southern cook’s empire, built on media and butterfat.

They may not hurt her business at all, of course. Yes, there are reports that Food Network is reacting warily, pledging to “monitor the situation”–which could mean investigating the facts or waiting for public opinion to tell it what to do. Deen, meanwhile put out a not-exactly-apology saying that she “does not condone” racism. But you never know what people will reject, forgive, or ignore in their celebrities. Maybe Deen fans will decide this is all overblown, or that it’s in the past, or that, whatever, they don’t need to admire her character to want the recipe for fried butter balls (Deen’s recent experience with diabetes notwithstanding). Maybe they’ll decide that regardless of the messenger they still like Deen’s message–an unapologetic defense of pleasure and down-home food culture.

And that would be a sad thing. Because Deen’s comments were an insult and injury to her fans as much as everyone else.

After the news broke yesterday, there was a lot of outrage and condemnation. There was sarcasm: Twitter users christened the hashtag #PaulasBestDishes, inventing recipes like “Separate but equal light and dark meat.” But there was also another strain of reaction: Of course. Of course someone like her would say that.

Of course, some commenters snarked, a deep-accented, deep-southern woman of a certain age was a deep-down racist. Of course someone who stood for old-timey culture (and nutritional values) had a Bull Connor-era racial outlook. Of course that redneck lady cooking that redneck food would be a redneck racist. I mean, just look at those recipes! Shouldn’t we all have already guessed that?

Yes, that’s stereotyping in itself. I have eaten too much barbecue and fried okra to actually believe that pork fat chemically induces bigotry; I’ve lived in the north too long to think the south has a monopoly on racism. But the real blame here belongs to Deen, not her critics.

Deen made a pile of money off a certain idea of old-school southern culture. In return, she had an obligation to that culture–an obligation not to embody its worst, most shameful history and attitudes. Instead, in one swoop, fairly or not, she single-handedly affirmed people’s worst suspicions of people who talk and eat like her–along with glibly insulting minorities, she slurred many of the very fans who made her successful. She made it that much harder to say that Confederate Bean Soup is just a recipe.

And in a way, maybe one side benefit of this spectacle is that its forces a conversation about the connections between culture and history. When Brad Paisley released “Accidental Racist” with LL Cool J earlier this year, a lot of people–me included–made fun of the song’s corniness, or critiqued its white-guy self-pity. But Paisley at least was trying to talk, however poorly, about a real thing: the tension between people wanting to retain symbols of their region’s past and people who have a hard time seeing those symbols as innocent nostalgia.

In the case of “Accidental Racist,” the flashpoint is a Confederate flag T-shirt. The narrator sees it as simple southern-rock fandom, now separated from the people who used to fly it in a war to preserve their right to own black slaves. That’s all history–it’s about other people’s “mistakes” from the past–but now it just means you’re a Skynyrd fan. The black man he meets at a Starbucks, voiced by LL Cool J, can’t write it off that easily. You can’t just separate sweet nostalgia from ugly history.

OK, so a deep-fried pickle is not the Stars and Bars. But what’s offensive about Deen’s rhetoric is that she’s using the same kind of rationalization: I’m not endorsing racism, I’m just respecting my past! In a way, her slave-dinner-party idea is uglier even than her “N word” admission, because it’s thought-through sentimentality for a racist system, excused as being about a love for beauty and graciousness. It’s not racism that makes Deen love the visual of a room of black people serving whites in pre-civil-rights-era garb—oh, no! Indeed, she admires their “professionalism”! And yet, when the lawyer asks if she couldn’t achieve the same effect with servers of various races, she answers: “That’s what made it so impressive.”

That’s what made it so impressive. It would be terrible if the takeaway from this incident is that not only is Paula Deen racist, but anyone who sounds and lives and eats like her must be too. That’s the wrong answer, but, as Deen’s antebellum fantasy shows, you also can’t just assume that nostalgia for the culture of an oppressive time can be neatly separated from the actual oppression. Nostalgic culture–for food, customs, decor, symbols–is not automatically an endorsement of the times in which they were born. But it damn sure can be used that way.

And by doing so, in the aw-shucks way she did in her deposition, Deen didn’t just insult black people and Jewish people and God knows who else. She insulted the present-day south and the decent people in it; she insulted the fans who wanted to like her food and TV shows and not be embarrassed; and she insulted the home-and-hospitality culture she purports to stand up for. Yes, food is food, no matter your color or creed. But it doesn’t matter how much butter and batter you coat it in, ugly is still ugly.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/06/20/less-than-accidental-racist-why-paula-deens-comments-insult-her-fans-too/#ixzz2Wu1sI531

Anyone who's interested in reading exactly what Deen said at her deposition, can read excerpts here, and also, on this page, find a link to a transcript of her entire deposition.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/19/paula-deen-racist-comments-n-word-caught-on-video_n_3467287.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:35 pm
Interestingly, her language in defense of her "pride of culture and place" is almost the same crap that the Klan now uses to sell its brand of bigotry
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:43 pm
An older southern belle and her brother 'Bubba' uttered some racist slurs? Who would have thought?
BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:00 pm
@firefly,
Once more they are likely annoying the people who have enjoy her show so there is no free lunch here as there is a price that they will suffer for taking her off their network also.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:19 pm
@IRFRANK,
All the people that are focus on her "sins" and her failures as a human here and in the news media I would bet never look at her show.

Somehow I question if the people who did enjoyed her show and purchase things adv on the show are either amused by the jokes or happy that the show is being taken off the air.

I off hand would not think it should be the Fireflies and the news talking heads of the world who opinions should matter to the cooking network but the people who put $$$$$$$ into their hands.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 10:55 pm
In the PC world in which we live there is no such thing as context, there is only the judgment of condemnation based on a checklist of what is good and what is bad.

If only we had a 24/7 recording of everything the righteous accusers of this woman said.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:15 pm
Dean has been in the cross hairs of the food Nazi's for a long time, but what did her in is that we all now know that she cant eat most of the food that she advocates because of her diabetes. this is basically the same thing as a self help author who has a lifetime of work trying to push the reader in a certain direction when everybody knows that they dont follow the advise themselves. the nigger thing is just a nice excuse to push her to the curb.

Dean is a hypocrite and a liar now, she had to go once she refused to change what she was selling. Anthony Bourdain had a lot to do with this.

edit: trying to hide her diabetic status hurt her big too.
firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:16 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I off hand would not think it should be the Fireflies and the news talking heads of the world who opinions should matter to the cooking network but the people who put $$$$$$$ into their hands.

Do me a favor and don't refer to me. It seems impossible for you to accurately comprehend what I say and what I don't say, so, please, just express your opinions without mentioning my name at all.

I didn't express an opinion about whether the Food Network should have dumped her. The author of the article I posted didn't either.

I would assume the Food Network weighed the pros and cons of renewing her contract and decided she was more of a liability to them than an asset. She may need them, to give her continuing visibility for her brand, more than they need her.

The people who put money in the hands of networks are their advertisers. If the Food Network considered Deen's various controversies a liability in terms of their ability to raise advertising revenue, or attract advertisers, or viewers, that would also impact their contract decisions about her. Advertisers might be reluctant to buy airtime on a program that stars a person who is embroiled in the sort of racial/ethnic and sexual harassment controversies that Deen is in right now, because they might not want to be identified with her in any way. These are business decisions--networks and advertisers consider their own bottom lines. The Food Network apparently thought they were better off cutting her loose.

We also don't know how the business of her hiding her type 2 diabetes from the public, for years, while she cheerily continued to cook up and promote the kind of food that's not recommended for diabetics, affected her viewership, or ratings, or relationship with the Food Network--this racial business isn't the first controversy she's gotten herself into recently. Maybe the current controversy was the last straw for the Food Network.

Obviously, the Food Network finds Paula Deen more trouble than she's worth to them.

The kind of publicity she's getting now is rather toxic, because it's about rather ugly stuff, that lawsuit she's involved in is about ugly stuff, and that can definitely threaten her own $12 million business empire and her brand, quite apart from her employment by the Food Network. I am curious what QVC, which serves as one outlet for her to sell her wares, will wind up doing with regard to keeping her around, because they also have to worry about possibly losing viewers/buyers because of Deen's controversies if they put her on the air. Same is true of retailers like Walmart that carry her goods. Controversies of this sort have ripple effects because they can affect the bottom lines of other businesses that promote her products. I would think they would all consider whether she's more of an asset than a liability for them to be associated with. That's business.

People who like Deen, and aren't bothered by any of this, will keep buying her cookbooks, and pots and pans, and food products, and all the other things she sells. They can buy them from her Web site
http://www.pauladeenstore.com/

And she promotes her own food products directly to retailers.
http://www.pauladeenfoods.com/

And I think she and her family have about 4 other Web sites to promote their various businesses, including their restaurants.

So those who like her and/or her products will keep buying, and selling, them. But it's ridiculous to think her business empire won't take a serious hit from this latest controversy. So far, she hasn't been doing a very good job, at all, of managing her PR damage control. If she's smart, she'll seek out better advice--and listen to it.
firefly

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In the PC world in which we live there is no such thing as context, there is only the judgment of condemnation based on a checklist of what is good and what is bad.

There's a context to all of this. She's involved in a lawsuit in which she and her brother are accused of doing and saying various things that involved racial and ethnic slurs and, I think, sexual harassment, of a former employee.

So Deen was asked about these accusations in a deposition for that lawsuit. The Huffington Post obtained a transcript of her deposition. The questions asked of her, and her replies, in that deposition were made public by the Huffington Post, and that's how the rest of the media picked up on it. The ugly/offensive stuff involved more than just her past use of the "N-word". But Paula Deen herself supplied the context in her deposition. Unfortunately, the way she tends to explain herself seems to make matters worse for her. Either her lawyer possibly didn't prepare her well for her deposition, or she didn't follow his/her advice, but she has a tendency to dig herself in deeper when she tries to explain why she said or did certain things.

But I really don't think she's a victim of being taken out of context. And that first video apology she put out today, to try to explain herself to the public, didn't help her any either. The woman does seem somewhat clueless about what others might find offensive in her remarks and her thinking.

She needs to start listening to other people, like really good PR people, before she publicly opens her mouth again right now.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:23 am
@firefly,
shes a bit of a sociopath in that respect. She seems to care not about anyone who gets in the way of her agenda
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

shes a bit of a sociopath in that respect. She seems to care not about anyone who gets in the way of her agenda

being a little bit dangerous has been very profitable. what she did not understand was the cost of being publicly two faced.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:33 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, a sociopath.

That's rational Mr Science.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
she defines sociopathy quite nicely. She doesn't see that shes done anything wrong. Shes more disturbed that she was called out on the issue. that's Type section sociopathy
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:54 am
@farmerman,
No she doesn't at all.

Even if she is guilty of what you allege, it isin't evidence of sociopathy and more importantly, she isn't guilty of what you allege.

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Even if she is guilty of what you allege, it isin't evidence of sociopathy and more importantly, she isn't guilty of what you allege

I you had ham , you could have ham and eggs, if you had eggs .
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:19 am
@farmerman,
Wow, that makes sense....not
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 07:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Number one there is no proof that she would not had come up with diabetes 2 no matter what her diet might had been number two her health issues are her business and to a far lesser degree her family business not the damn public business.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 07:27 am
@firefly,
Quote:
We also don't know how the business of her hiding her type 2 diabetes from the public, for years, while she cheerily continued to cook up and promote the kind of food that's not recommended for diabetics,

So what her health issues is not anyone business but her own and we all do a lot of things everyone of us that our doctors might not think is in our long term health interests and people who enjoy that cooking style for the most part are fully aware that it is currently not consider the best possible diet as far as health in concern and once more are almost completely adults.

No matter what the good major of NYC might think we do not need a food police for our own good in this nation.

Quote:
Do me a favor and don't refer to me

Sorry no can do as long as you the poster woman on this website for all PC positions it is possible to take in this society.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 07:32 am
@farmerman,
s
Quote:
he defines sociopathy quite nicely. She doesn't see that shes done anything wrong. Shes more disturbed that she was called out on the issue. that's Type section sociopathy

As far as her promoting a cooking style to other adults who health risk is well known she had done zero wrong and that include not sharing her private health problems.

As far as using the n word I do not think that that any of us would care to have every word we had ever employee in our life put through a PC filter.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 08:29 am
I will give the link to a news story and the 400 plus comments following the story while very few indeed supporting the food channel with some who claimed to be watchers of this network calling for a boycott of the channel.

Quote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57590532/paula-deens-food-network-contract-wont-be-renewed/

ODYGIRL701 says:This is totally ridiculous. In the South, during the time Paula was growing up, the N word was used. No one uses it now and she said that she doesn't. This is not fair to Paula. I will not watch the Food Network channel again. They owe her an apology.

KOT253 says:Just another retarded example of how the liberal illuminati PC police are turning us into a fascist state. Look at where we are today with cheap like this, the IRS scandal, the NSA scandal, our leaders in "i Don't know" deniability, .... does anyone even vaguely remember Germany 1933? This Paula Deen issue is small,granted, but it is a reflection of how the few disrupt the greater for the fewer good. When will we stop this insanity America??? Boycott the Food Channel.

TADELCA says:This is ridiculous. For her to lose her contract over this, is beyond unbelievable! Maybe the person sitting behind the big desk at Food Network should lose his job, too. You mean to tell me that over one's lifetime, he or she has never said or even thought anything offensive about a person or group of people? That is just not human nature. Besides, the PC standards are way different today than 40 years ago. Way to make a scapegoat out of Paula Deen. Because we are all so perfect.

EVERYWORD says:I'm a progressive, but this is corporate correctness run amok. What person hasn't learned and grown in 66 years? didn't she apologize, honestly, for being just as human as the rest of us?

Has every Food Network executive never, ever used the N-word? And can someone tell me how many persons of color the Food Network employs? And what percentage of their programming is designed to appeal to minority populations?

Food Network hypocrites ... no one should watch them again.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 12:16:03