Listing in a sentence.. Need tomorrow

prinmel

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:57 am
I have to get this in tomorrow. My husband says these are run on sentences. Are they? I thought you could list as many things as needed with commas. Thanks!!!

Having over ten years of experience in administrative positions, I am well versed in the operations of the position. I am honest, reliable, and always maintain a professional attitude. I am experienced in handling general office duties including answering multi-line phones amiably and courteously, record and data management and maintenance, shipping and receiving, supply stocking, scheduling and mail processing. I am proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, skilled in customer service, client communications, problem solving, and relationship building. I am a strong planner who readily adapts to change, works independently, exceeds expectations and is always willing to learn new things. In previous positions I was known for a “can-do” attitude and the "go-to" person with flexibility and high-quality work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 549 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:43 am
@prinmel,
I didn't pick out a single run on sentence, but Holy Cow! Break it up with an occasional period, even if your grammar is correct.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:42 am
I agree with Roger. No run-on sentences. However, I spotted a mistake:

I was known for a “can-do” attitude and the "go-to" person with flexibility and high-quality work.

As written, this says I was known for . . . the "go-to" person. You need to add "being,"

I was known for a “can-do” attitude and being the "go-to" person with flexibility and high-quality work.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:32 am
Maybe you could bullet a few of the job tasks. The sentences are too long for comfortable reading.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:35 am
@Roberta,
And I'd change one more - I was known for MY can-do attitude and BEING the ...

I think what you wrote is fine. No run-on sentences, and you mixed up your skills and talents nicely. I had no trouble reading it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 10:39 am
@prinmel,
Disagree Prin with both Roger and your spouse. As Mame says it's fine

Just for fun though I herewith offer only the most minor of crits

After more than ten years' experience in administrative positions I am well versed in your requirements. Impeccably honest, reliable, and maintaining a professional attitude I am also a veteran of general office duties: Amiable and courteous oversight of multi-line phones; efficient record and data management and maintenance; punctual shipping and receiving; prudent supply stocking; expedient scheduling and mail processing.

I am proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite and skilled in customer service like client communications and problem solving, especially gifted in relationship building. I am a strong planner who readily adapts to change, works independently, exceeds expectations and is always willing to learn new and better ways. I'm known for a “can-do” attitude, the "go-to" person demonstrating flexibility and delivering quality results.

Mel, it's only a quickie and doubtless you can improve it greatly, eg choose better adjectives, but as I said your original is okay
0 Replies