A diagram of all English...?!

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:44 am
I'm not sure if this exists, but I'm thinking someone must have done it at some point....

I'm looking for one page, that has diagrams of all the basic English sentence structures on it, with some examples of words/tenses you could use for each structure.

For example, on one diagram there would be I, you, he, she, which would break off into am, are, is, which would break into good, bad (examples of adjectives), another one which starts with do, does, breaking into you, I, he, she... etc etc.

It would be a massive chart, but it would be really useful for me, and I'm thinking there must be one somewhere. Anyone seen anything like this out there before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 299 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:01 am
@Likely Lad,
There are many different approaches to grammar and semantics, some of which require extended communicative context to be considered. This is why you are unlikely to find your diagram. Try David Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language" for exscellent discussions of this.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:02 am
@Likely Lad,

Sounds like you're looking for a basic grammar book.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 01:33 pm
@Likely Lad,
It's certainly possible but then we'd have no forests left.
0 Replies