RABEL222

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I stand corrected.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:58 pm
@contrex,
Note to contrex: Unless you like to get bad news, it would, clearly, have been money poorly spent. You made a wise decision, proving that wisdom doesn't require genius, or even more than an average IQ.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Providing atomic secrets to the Soviet Union was without doubt an act of treason, irrespective of whatever altruistic motivations may be ascribed to Julius by his apologists.

From what I know, there may not have been an iron clad case against Ethel, but I don't think she would have done anything differently than her husband. If that's true it doesn't excuse a flawed prosecution and judgment but it also doesn't give cause for moral outrage.

Not a proponent of the death penalty because I don't believe the state should have the power to kill its citizens, but if any historical act of treason deserved the ultimate punishment it was this one.

We can assume that the Soviet Union would have eventually developed nuclear weapons, but nothing is certain and timing is everything.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree, at least partly, with what you say, Finn. However, my own feeling is that the only reason they were condemned to death was not because their crime was so heinous but, rather, because they totally refused to cooperate with the FBI and the prosecution. They refused to plead guilty. They named no names and gave the investigators nothing to go on that they didn't already know. By contrast, Alger Hiss, received a five-year prison term for perjury in a related matter to the Rosebregs' (of which he served three and one-half years) and Whittaker Chambers, who had openly admitted spying for the Soviets as a member of the Communist Party was never charged with anything. It was the Rosenbergs' insistence on their 5th Amendment rights that doomed them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I didn't say anything similar to "we don't know".

I didn't do any researches about Rosenberg myself, know just what's written by other historians.

What you write about Hitler's father (Alois Schicklgruber) is ... well, not true:
neither the town and all its content was shredding nor is his father's ethnic heritage of any importance.
(It was either Johann Nepomuk Hiedler or Johann Georg Hiedler.)

The legend and myth of a Jewish heritage has been refuted, well sourced, by the way, since decades.
That was not the position expressed by Hitler 's lawyer,
before the Allies killed him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:57 pm
@contrex,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
On June 19, 1953, Julius Rosenberg, 35, and his wife, Ethel, age 37,
were executed by electrocution at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, NY.
No. Thay were electrocuted in execution of their death warrants.
Presumably, thay were executed from the prison,
after thay were killed (unless thay were buried within the prison).
contrex wrote:
In the English we use on our planet,
"executed" means "put to death, especially by carrying out a lawful sentence".
They were executed. By electrocution. Exactly as Lustig Andrei wrote.
Their dead human bodies presumably were executed
(i.e., carried out of Sing Sing Prison) after
their death warrants were executed by killing the prisoners.
I will not dispute what U have in your minds
when u bumblingly babble your words, with little care
of or interest in what thay mean by their etymological history.
( U and JTT must passionately love each other.)

I choose to speak with better accuracy.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:07 pm
@Setanta,
A certain purported historian around here
seems to be jealously resentful.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I agree, at least partly, with what you say, Finn. However, my own feeling is that the only reason they were condemned to death was not because their crime was so heinous but, rather, because they totally refused to cooperate with the FBI and the prosecution. They refused to plead guilty. They named no names and gave the investigators nothing to go on that they didn't already know. By contrast, Alger Hiss, received a five-year prison term for perjury in a related matter to the Rosebregs' (of which he served three and one-half years) and Whittaker Chambers, who had openly admitted spying for the Soviets as a member of the Communist Party was never charged with anything. It was the Rosenbergs' insistence on their 5th Amendment rights that doomed them.
The judge commented that by betraying America's nucear secrets,
thay had contributed to Stalin 's starting the Korean War.

David

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I will not dispute what U have in your minds
when u bumblingly babble your words, with little care
of or interest in what thay mean by their etymological history.

You are one ignorant little mensan, OmSig! You use countless words that you know nothing at all about when it comes to their etymology. Are you trying to show off simply to encourage others to join your dismal little group?

As to where you stand on a human scale, you are at least the equivalent of dog excrement, ... maybe.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ike: When democracy's enemies [nice touch, Ike, "democracy's enemies", indeed] have been judged guilty of a crime as horrible as that of which the Rosenbergs were convicted: when the legal processes of democracy have been marshalled to their maximum strength to protect the lives of convicted spies: when in their most solemn judgement the tribunals of the United States has adjudged them guilty and the sentence just. I will not intervene in this matter.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have Guatemala to invade, native Guatemalans to rape, torture and slaughter".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ike: The execution of two human beings is a grave matter. But even graver is the thought of millions of dead, whose death may be directly attributable to what these spies have done or what we actually have already done to the Japanese and fully intend to do to the Koreans. Who knows what further glory the US can inflict upon the world.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:54 pm
@contrex,
Setanta wrote:
David claims to be a member of Mensa. The idea of such a club always seemed silly to me,
but since i've known David, my already low opinion of the organization has sunk even further.
contrex wrote:
Years ago I responded to an advertisement by Mensa in a magazine, offering a "free test",
and received in the mail an intelligence test to complete.
I did this and got a reply telling me that for a fee of £20
(not a negligible sum in 1988) I could learn the result, and
find out if I was eligible to join Mensa.
Admittedly, I have no information qua the practices of English Mensa in 1988.
However, I took the tests in NY in an earlier decade
after paying the testing fee (a very small amount),
after which the tests are processed and results are sent to the applicant
for no additional charge. The said fee included sending the results to the applicant.

The description that u alleged seems to be of questionable ethics,
if a "free test" were offered, as u asserted.
I have made a lot of friends both locally and nationwide
thru Mensa. Any member is free to begin a Special Interest Group
whose subject matter will be of his choice, e.g. stamp collecting,
attending the Opera, gun collecting, S.C.U.B.A. Diving,
Travelling, Mathematical Analysis and many, many more,
in addition to numerous conventions, called Regional Gatherings
and the Annual Gathering with what I have found to be
very interesting lectures and explorations of the best restaurants
of the cities that host those conventions. Its fun.

contrex wrote:
I felt that this would be a waste of money, since (a) I have never, in the whole of my life,
been anxious about my intelligence
Anxiety is not requisite.
We 'd let u in without that.

Y did u choose to take the test ??

contrex wrote:
or lack of it and (b) the only people I had met who said they were members were jerks. This last is still the case.
Good for networking n for picking up chicks.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:54 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/15/horror-rosenbergs-executions-force-good

Out of the horror of the Rosenbergs' executions, a force for good

Our relatives' trial for espionage marked a nadir of cold war paranoia. Now, 60 years on, we have our 'constructive revenge'

Robert Meeropol and Jenn Meeropol
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 15 June 2013 13.30 BST

We are Robert and Jenn Meeropol, son and granddaughter of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg. We are acutely aware of the political lessons to be drawn from the conviction and execution of the Rosenbergs at the height of the McCarthy period. The charge was conspiracy to commit espionage, but our family members were presented as traitors who gave the Soviet Union the secret of the atomic bomb.

The US government used the Rosenberg case to attempt to prove to the public that the international communist conspiracy threatened the American way of life, and claimed fighting communism required that human rights and civil liberties take a back seat to national security.

Today, the US government asserts that danger from the international terrorist conspiracy and their weapons of mass destruction justifies massive surveillance, indefinite detention and even torture. Authorities say we must guard national secrets even more securely to avoid destruction. Today, the issues raised by the Rosenberg case resonate from the Oval Office of the White House to Bradley Manning, who is being tried under the Espionage Act of 1917, as were Ethel and Julius.

But there are other, more personal, lessons to draw as well.

From the ages of three to seven, I, Robert, lived a nightmare. After my parents' arrest, relatives were too frightened to take my brother Michael and me into their homes, so we were dumped in a shelter. After the executions, we were thrown out of the New Jersey state school system when local residents found out about our parentage.

In 1954, in a politically motivated attempt to separate us from Rosenberg supporters, Michael and I were seized by New York City police from the home of our prospective adoptive parents and placed in an orphanage. But Abel and Anne Meeropol won the ensuing custody battle, our last name was changed to theirs, and we dropped from public sight for almost two decades. During those growing-up years, I dreamed of revenge.

I, Jenn, was two years old when my father and uncle decided to reclaim their heritage by mounting a public campaign to force the US government to release secret files relating to the Rosenbergs case. My dad worried that his actions might expose me to trauma and fear, similarly to his childhood experience. I was safe in my family but profoundly aware of what had happened to my grandparents. I grew up with sadness and anger about what was done to Ethel and Julius, as well as a fierce pride in who they were and what they stood for.

As I entered college in 1990, my father started the Rosenberg Fund for Children (RFC), a public foundation to help children who are experiencing similar nightmares to what he lived through as a child. The RFC is a way to transform the destruction placed on his family into a positive force to benefit a new generation of families, the way a community of support rallied to aid him and his brother after their parents were killed.

As a young adult, I watched the RFC help hundreds of children who grew up with political targeting in their families. I realized that they probably endured a similar stew of emotions – sorrow and anger, pride and obligation – to my dad's, and my own. Growing up, I also dreamed of getting retribution from the forces that killed my grandparents before I could know them.

I joined the RFC's staff in 2007 as granting coordinator. Now, during this 60th anniversary year of my grandparents' execution, my father will retire as executive director and I will take over the helm of the organization he founded.

We both think of the RFC as our revenge – our constructive revenge. When bad things happen to people, to families and communities, it is natural to want to strike back, to settle the score. The wish to avoid being a passive victim is healthy, but revenge itself is usually destructive. For us, harnessing our desire to strike back and focusing it on creating a positive response is personally satisfying, and our contribution to making a positive difference in the world.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 09:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
contrex wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
On June 19, 1953, Julius Rosenberg, 35, and his wife, Ethel, age 37,
were executed by electrocution at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, NY.
No. Thay were electrocuted in execution of their death warrants.
Presumably, thay were executed from the prison,
after thay were killed (unless thay were buried within the prison).

What nonsense you write, you ******* idiot! In the English we use on our planet, "executed" means "put to death, especially by carrying out a lawful sentence". They were executed. By electrocution. Exactly as Lustig Andrei wrote.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
David's command of the English language is frequently flamboyant, seldom consistent with idiomatic norms.
I 'm not necessarily a follower of fashion.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It is my understanding that the Rosenbergs leak of information to the USSR was not the only leaks or the most important.

It too late to google it but was there not a British scientist working on the Manhattan project that did far more leaking and never paid any price for doing so?

In fact, was not the many leaks of atom secrets to the USSR from British sources the reason we cut the UK off from information concerning our nuclear program?
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:16 pm
Here who I was thinking of it would seems.......and he did serve some time in prison over the matter. Seems off hand a must more important leak then the Rosenbergs.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fuchs

Klaus Fuchs
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emil Julius Klaus Fuchs (29 December 1911 – 28 January 1988) was a German theoretical physicist and atomic spy who in 1950 was convicted of supplying information from the American, British and Canadian Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union during and shortly after the Second World War. While at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Fuchs was responsible for many significant theoretical calculations relating to the first nuclear weapons and later the early models of the hydrogen bomb.
The son of a Lutheran pastor, Fuchs attended the University of Leipzig, where his father was a professor of theology, and became involved in student politics, joining the student branch of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), and the Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold, the SPD's paramilitary organisation. He was expelled from the SPD in 1932, and joined the Communist Party of Germany (KPD). He went into hiding after the Reichstag fire, and fled to England, where he received his PhD from the University of Bristol under the supervision of Nevill Mott, and his DSc from the University of Edinburgh, where he worked as an assistant to Max Born.
After the Second World War broke out in Europe, he was interned on the Isle of Man, and later in Canada. After he returned to Britain in 1941, he became an assistant to Rudolf Peierls, working on "Tube Alloys" – the British atomic bomb project. He began passing information on the project to the Soviet Union through Ruth Kuczynski, codenamed "Sonia", a German communist and a major in Soviet Military Intelligence who had worked with Richard Sorge's spy ring in the Far East. In 1943, Fuchs and Peierls went to Columbia University, in New York City, to work on the Manhattan Project. In August 1944 Fuchs joined the Theoretical Physics Division at the Los Alamos Laboratory, working under Hans Bethe. His chief area of expertise was the problem of imploding, necessary for the development of the plutonium bomb. After the war he worked at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment at Harwell as the head of the Theoretical Physics Division.
In January 1950, Fuchs confessed that he was a spy. He was sentenced to fourteen years' imprisonment and stripped of his British citizenship. He was released in 1959, after serving nine years and emigrated to the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), where he was elected to the Academy of Sciences and the SED central committee. He was later appointed deputy director of the Institute for Nuclear Research in Rossendorf, where he served until he retired in 1979.
Contents [hide]

BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:47 pm
@BillRM,
More spies for the Soviets in the atom bomb program

Quote:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Spies-Who-Spilled-Atomic-Bomb-Secrets.html

John Cairncross
Considered the first atomic spy, John Cairncross was eventually identified as one of the Cambridge Five, a group of upper-middle class young men who had met at Cambridge University in the 1930s, became passionate communists and eventually Soviet spies during World War II and into the 1950s. In his position as secretary to the chairman of Britain's scientific advisory committee, Cairncross gained access to a high-level report in the fall of 1941 that confirmed the feasibility of a uranium bomb. He promptly leaked the information to Moscow agents. In 1951 when British agents closed in on other members of the Cambridge spy ring, Cairncross was interrogated after documents in his handwriting were discovered in a suspect's apartment.

Ultimately he was not charged, and according to some reports, asked by British officials to resign and keep quiet. He moved to the United States where he taught French literature at Northwestern University. In 1964, questioned again, he admitted to spying for Russia against Germany in WWII, but denied giving any information harmful to Britain. He went to work for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome and later lived in France. Cairncross returned to England a few months before his death in 1995, and went to his grave insisting that the information he gave Moscow was "relatively innocuous." In the late 1990s when Russia under its new democracy made public its KGB files from the last 70 years, the documents revealed that Cairncross was indeed the agent who provided "highly secret documentation [of] the British Government to organise and develop the work on atomic energy."

Klaus Fuchs
Dubbed the most important atomic spy in history, Klaus Fuchs was a primary physicist on the Manhattan Project and a lead scientist at Britain's nuclear facility by 1949. Just weeks after the Soviets exploded their atomic bomb in August 1949, a Venona decryption of a 1944 message revealed that information describing important scientific processes related to construction of the A-bomb had been sent from the United Sates to Moscow. FBI agents identified Klaus Fuchs as the author.

Born in Germany in 1911, Fuchs joined the Communist Party as student, and fled to England during the rise of Nazism in 1933. Attending Bristol and Edinburgh universities, he excelled in physics. Because he was a German national he was interned for several months in Canada but returned and cleared to work on atomic research in England. By the time he became a British citizen in 1942, he had already contacted the Soviet Embassy in London and volunteered his services as a spy. He was transferred to the Los Alamos lab and began handing over detailed information about the bomb construction, including sketches and dimensions. When he returned to England in 1946, he went to work at Britain's nuclear research facility, and passed information on creating a hydrogen bomb to the Soviet Union. In December 1949, authorities, alerted by the Venona cable, questioned him. In a matter of few weeks, Fuchs confessed all. He was tried and sentenced to 14 years in prison. After serving nine years he was released to East Germany, where he resumed work as a scientist. He died in 1988.

Theodore Hall
For nearly half a century Fuchs was thought to have been the most significant spy at Los Alamos, but the secrets Ted Hall divulged to the Soviets preceded Fuchs and were also very critical. A Harvard graduate at age 18, Hall, at 19, was the youngest scientist on the Manhattan project in 1944. Unlike Fuchs and the Rosenbergs, he got away with his misdeeds. Hall worked on experiments for the bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki, the same type that the Soviet detonated in 1949. As a boy, Hall witnessed his family suffer during the Great Depression and his brother advised him to drop the family name Holtzberg to escape anti-Semitism. Such harsh realities of the American system affected young Hall, who joined the Marxist John Reed Club upon arrival at Harvard. When he was recruited to work at Los Alamos, he was haunted, he explained decades later, by thoughts of how to spare humanity the devastation of nuclear power. Finally, on leave in New York in October 1944, he decided to equalize the playing field, contacted the Soviets and volunteered to keep them apprised of the bomb research.

With the help of his courier and Harvard colleague, Saville Sax (a fervent communist and aspiring writer), Hall used coded references to Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass to set up meeting times. In December 1944 Hall delivered what was probably the first atomic secret from Los Alamos, an update on the creation of the plutonium bomb. In the fall of 1946 he enrolled in University of Chicago, and was working on his PhD in 1950 when the FBI turned its spotlight on him. His real name had surfaced in a decrypted message. But Fuch's courier, Harry Gold who was already in prison, could not identify him as the man, other than Fuchs, that he had collected secrets from. Hall never went to trial. After a career in radiobiology, he moved to Great Britain and worked as a biophysicist until his retirement. When the 1995 Venona declassifications confirmed his spying from five decades earlier, he explained his motivations in a written statement: "It seemed to me that an American monopoly was dangerous and should be prevented. I was not the only scientist to take that view." He died in 1999 at age 74.

Harry Gold, David Greenglass, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg
When Klaus Fuchs confessed in January 1950, his revelations would lead to the arrest of the man to whom he had passed the atomic secrets in New Mexico, even though the courier had used an alias. Harry Gold, a 39-year-old Philadelphia chemist had been ferrying stolen information, mainly from American industries, to the Soviets since 1935. When the FBI found a map of Santa Fe in Gold's home, he panicked and told all. Convicted in 1951 and sentenced to 30 years, his confession put authorities on the trail to other spies, most famously Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and Ethel's brother David Greenglass. After being drafted into the Army, David Greenglass was transferred to Los Alamos in 1944, where he worked as a machinist. Encouraged by his brother-in-law, Julius Rosenberg, a New York engineer and devoted communist who actively recruited his friends to spy, Greenglass soon began supplying information from Los Alamos.

In addition to Fuchs and Hall, Greenglass was the third mole at the Manhattan Project, although they did not know of each other's covert work. In 1950 as the atomic spy network unraveled, Gold, who had picked up material from Greenglass in New Mexico, positively identified Greenglass as his contact. That identification turned the investigation away from Ted Hall, who initially was a suspect. Greenglass confessed, implicating his wife, his sister and his brother-in law. To lessen their punishment, his wife came forward, providing details of her husband and her in-laws' involvement. She and Greenglass had given Julius Rosenberg handwritten documents and drawings of the bomb, and Rosenberg had devised a cut-up Jell-O box as a signal. The Venona decryptions also corroborated the extent of Julius Rosenberg's spy ring, though they were not made public. The Rosenbergs, however, denied everything and adamantly refused to name names or answer many questions. They were found guilty, sentenced to death in 1951 and despite pleas for clemency, executed on June 19, 1953 in the electric chair at Sing-Sing prison in New York. Because they chose to cooperate, Greenglass received 15 years and his wife was never formally charged.

Lona Cohen
Lona Cohen and her husband Morris were American communists who made a career of industrial espionage for the Soviets. But in August 1945, she picked up some Manhattan Project secrets from Ted Hall and smuggled them past security in a tissue box. Soon after the United States dropped the atomic bombs on Japan, authorities ramped up security for the scientists in the Los Alamos region. After rendezvousing with Hall in Albuquerque and stuffing Hall's sketch and documents under the tissues, Lona discovered that agents were searching and questioning train passengers. Posing as a hapless woman who had misplaced her ticket, she successfully distracted police, who handed her the "forgotten" box of tissues, whose secret papers she spirited to her Soviet handlers.

When the investigations and trials of the early 1950s got scorchingly close, the Cohens fled to Moscow. In 1961 the couple, under aliases, resurfaced in a London suburb, living as Canadian antiquarian booksellers, a cover for their continued spying. Their spy paraphernalia included a radio transmitter stashed under the refrigerator, fake passports, and antique books concealing stolen information. At their trial the Cohens refused to spill their secrets, once again thwarting any lead to Ted Hall's spying. They received 20 years, but in 1969 were released in exchange for Britons incarcerated in the Soviet Union. Both received that country's highest hero award before their deaths in the 1990s.

Subscribe now for more of Smith

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Spies-Who-Spilled-Atomic-Bomb-Secrets.html#ixzz2WpJh9Nmm
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:32 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
In fact, was not the many leaks of atom secrets to the USSR from British sources the reason we cut the UK off from information concerning our nuclear program?

No. Read up on the McMahon Act of 1946.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 07:57 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Finally, on leave in New York in October 1944, he decided to equalize the playing field, contacted the Soviets and volunteered to keep them apprised of the bomb research.

Thank dog, eh, Bill. What would have happened if the bomb had been left solely in the hands of the only savages that have used the bomb?

You may consider this a rhetorical question, Bill.
0 Replies