Favorite Awful Movie

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:34 am
I was posting to the Movie Quotes Quiz, when I picked a quote from the original "Out of Towners", with Sandy Dennis and Jack Lemmon. As I was posting the quote, I realized that I am crazy about that movie. I have watched it a number of times, and could watch it again. There is something about it that strikes an emotional chord with me.

It is NOT a good movie. It is acted well, but it is a silly film that may well be forgotten in the annals of filmdom. The fact that there was a remake of it a few years ago attests to the pandering to the lowbrow level of culture that we are experiencing now.

Thus said, I LOVE that movie. What are YOUR favorite awful movie?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,439 • Replies: 64
No top replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 07:43 am
Without doubt it is "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls" by Russ Meyer.
An awful film that is somehow totally captivating and irresistable.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:18 am
"attack of the giant killer tomatos"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:50 am
Actually "Beyond" is listed in most movie guides as a better than average movie. As far as those with really bad ratings, I don't have many guilty pleasures. "Summer Lovers" is probably one of them -- it's and idealistic vacation on a Greek island I think a lot of us wish they had when younger.
BTW, Roger Ebert is one of the writers on "Beyond"
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
LW,you say "average movie".Wow..it´s light years from average in every single aspect but I´m happy that most movie guides actually rate it at all.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:54 am
Aaah you said "a better than average movie".I´m with you now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Depends on your standards of awful, I suppose, but I can watch "Wild Things" over and over again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:50 am
Some reviewers give "Beyond" three stars! They give it kudos for its satire -- in other words, many people take it too seriously and I figure it's Ebert's clever side swipe of Hollywood melodramas.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:59 am
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:01 pm
You´re in for muchos flak Heeven!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:07 pm
The Planet of the Apes films. No, not the newer one, with Marky Mark - that's just awful. I mean the five which were started with C. Heston.

"Getcher stinkin' paws offa me, you damn dirty ape!" etc.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:13 pm
Aww Jes.The original was a cracking film.It was the others that sucked.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:18 pm
Come on, guys, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and the original Planet of the Apes are actually good movies.

My favorite "awful" movies are Mira Nair's Kama Sutra: a Tale of Love and Robbe Grillet's Succesive Slidings of Pleasure. Some aesthetics just beat me. Er... actually I think they're good films, but almost everybody else dislikes them.
I also liked American Gigolo and The Cell.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:22 pm
I loved the bad Jean Claude Van Dam movies for a few years. Haven't seen one recently, so I dunno if I'd call them a favorite.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:36 pm
AMERICAN GIGOLO!!!Good grief that is one limping dog of a film and you really LIKE it!!
Wow.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:48 pm
fbaezer is right -- you're not admitting which truly awful turkeys you like! "Seven Brides" gets no less than three stars and more often four stars in critic's reviews. Ditto the first "Planet of the Apes," so you'd have to like the new version as a guilty pleasure.
Well, unless you're basing it on what your friends and relatives think is a bad movie. Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:50 pm
"The Wizard Of Gore" and "Color Me Blood Red" by H.G.Lewis.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
Actually I was basing it on movies I am embarrassed to admit liking. Like that and Calamity Jane. My friends/family torture me over that and I could watch Doris Day til the cows come home!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
What is rated as an awful movie?
One star?
Two stars?
Rated by who? Roger Ebert? NY Times?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:21 pm
Okay, a two star movie that I absolutely LOVE - have watched it dozens of times (I kid you not) is ..... Miss Congeniality (Sandra Bullock).
0 Replies