please check this notice for grammar errors

bubu

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 02:07 am
Hello,

I had an argument with my friend regarding the following notice for the students of an academic institution. can anyone please correct each grammar errors and also comment on the style?

-It is hereby noticed to all students, who have not taken admission, do well to take admission earliest between 10th of June to 16th of June 2013 for intermediate science classes.The regular integrated classes shall commence after the holidays i.e. 17th June.

It is further noticed that the classes shall remain suspended for the coming holidays, 14th June TO 16th June. Office will remain open for admission and other purposes. -

Question 1. In addition to other things, I would also want to know the frequency of the use of the word 'notice'[as a verb] meaning 'given a notice' used in the above context. Is it accepted as standard english or even good English?

question 2. Secondly I would like to know, if the word 'suspended' used in the second paragraph of the letter is used frequently in the way it is used above.

question 3. The 'do' in the phrase 'do well' seems like a bare infinitve. is it a correct use in the context above? will the sentence be more correct with "would do well" than just "do well"?

question 4. I have just come to know that take admission does not mean anything in english. But it is common expression in India and it means paying money and registering for some course.

question 5. shouldn't the word 'earliest' be replaced by 'at the earliest'? 'Take admission earliest' sounds incomplete to me.

question 6. Is it ok to say between 10th to 16th june? Shouldn't the preposition 'between' be replaced by 'from' as the preposition 'to' is between the two dates-10th and 16th. Or is it better to keep the 'between' and replace the 'to' by 'and' [for example: between 10th and 16th june?

question 7. Is it ok to use 'will' in place of 'shall' in the last sentence?

question 8. I would like to discuss the word 'admission'. It is often used here in this part of india. Students come to private academic institutions and attend classes for two months [the period between two academic sessions] these classes are provided free of cost. But as soon as the new session starts, they have to pay their fees and 'take admission'in oder to be eligible to attend classes regularly. Is that what enrolment means?

Please spare no criticism. I want an 100% honest assessment of the notice. It does not matter even if it offends the person who has composed this letter. Both of us have agreed to wait for an honest appraisal of the writing.

Thank you in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 870 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:52 am
@bubu,
Quote:
Question 1. ……. 'notice'[as a verb] …... Is it accepted as standard english or even good English?
No

Quote:
question 2…….if the word 'suspended' used in the second paragraph of the letter is used frequently…..
Yes but the "shall" is unnecessary and do you really mean "remain"

Quote:
question 3…….with "would do well" than just "do well"?
Yes but we might instead say "should take" or better yet explain why: "for a better chance at the more popular courses, should take"

Quote:
question 4. …... that 'take admission' does not mean anything in English.
That's right

Quote:
But it is common expression in India…..
Okay but now we're not quite sure how to respond

Quote:
question 5. ….'Take admission earliest' sounds incomplete to me.
We'd be more likely to say, "as early as possible," provided of course that's what you intended

Quote:
question 6. Is it ok to say 'between 10th to 16th June?'
No, we'd say, "between the 10th and 16th of June" but only if you mean the 11th through the 15th

Quote:
Shouldn't the preposition 'between' be replaced by 'from'……….
No because then we're not sure about the 10th

Quote:
question 7. Is it ok to use 'will' in place of 'shall' in the last sentence?
Yes but you don't need the "will" either

Quote:
question 8. I would like to discuss the word 'admission'………... Is that what enrollment means?
Wish I could help you here. My Better half says "enrollment" implies tentative status whereas "admission" suggests certainty

Regarding style Bubu, my own reaction is it's too wordy and in some cases confusing eg,

Quote:
It is hereby noticed to all students.earliest between…..intermediate science…..regular integrated….….i.e. June 17th…..
….can be interpreted in about 13 different ways. Advise strongly getting further help, maybe from colleague more proficient in collo. I went around in circles for a half hour before consulting my Better Half, who suggests:

Students should register for for Intermediate Science June 10-16. Regular integrated classes then start June 17 (, after summer recess?)
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 01:39 pm
@bubu,
Bubu you are however to be accorded credit for your determination. English is the toughest
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 08:51 pm
@bubu,
I'll assist with the first paragraph.
You wrote,
Quote:
-It is hereby noticed to all students, who have not taken admission, do well to take admission earliest between 10th of June to 16th of June 2013 for intermediate science classes.The regular integrated classes shall commence after the holidays i.e. 17th June.

Notice to all students who have not applied for admission for intermediate science classes. Admission must be submitted between June 10 to June 16, 2013. The regular integrated classes will commence on June 17.
0 Replies