Signature Quotes

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:42 am
D'Artagnan, I grew up in a very superstitious family. Frequent mention was made of the Evil Eye. I was skeptical. My older cousin told me that there was an Evil Eye and that I should take a look at the dollar bill--it will be there staring at me. I was afraid of dollars for a short while. So the eye isn't evil, and the latin means something good! Providence has favored our undertakings. Where were you when I needed you?

Debacle, I see that your signature has changed from Euler's formula to Woody Allen's bright and airy view of life.

Piffka, I have considered changing my signature. But I can't find one I like more. I had considered using something I frequently say when I'm editing--"When in doubt, cross it out." But it lacks a that certain zing.

Hi Ul, How about a translation for your signature? I'd say that my German is rusty, but I would have had to have known it first in order for it to have rusted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:18 am
"One may not hear the grass grow, otherwise one becomes deaf."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:21 am
dlowan, thanks for the translation. Dare I say that I don't get it? I don't understand the quote. Duh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:31 am
Hmm - I think it means that over-sensitivity is painful and dangerous - or that to apprehend everything would drive one insane - but what would I know?

It may be that I am translating far too literally....
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:29 am
Roberta, I do like your choice of quote. Is it frae wee Rabbie Burrrrns?

In a wee book o' Scottish quotations, gift me by the gudewife's gentle Ayrshire cousin o' th' distaff, ane is frae "Tam i' the Kirk" by Violet Jacob, an' gaes:

"O Jean, my Jean, when the bell ca's the congregation
Owre valley an' hill wi' the ding frae its iron mou',
When a'body's thochts is set on their ain salvation,
Mine's set on you."

Noo, Roberta, I ken it hae nae muckle to do wi' your ane fine quip, but I'm unco ta'en wi' th' sentiment, for a' that.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:02 am
dlowan, thanks for the translation.

I would translate it this way:
You shouldn't listen to the gras growing, you might become deaf.
Don't really know if there is a difference in the meaning of our translations.
Roberta,
this is a quotation by a German writer (1862 - 1946).
This quotation has an idiomatic expression in it.
Listening to grass is listening to something which isn't yet "here" and might never be here, rumors
I interpret this quotation in this way:
Concentrate on the larger picture, the larger context- or you might get lost in unimportant matters.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 12:27 pm
Roberta, don't blame you for being fearful of looking at one-dollar bills. Do what I like to do--look at the hundreds instead! Laughing

I chose a quote from Eleanor because I admired her very much when we were learning about her in history class in high school. Of course, that was before the revisionist history so prevalent currently. One of our assignments was to look up as many quotations by her that we could find. She was an amazing woman. Naturally, the 'other' part of her life was revealed to me long after the schooling ended. Although this did not change my admiration for her.

How do you change the color?
Embarrassed
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 01:32 pm
Mustang, to change the color of your signature, you have to manually put in the codes.

Before your quote, type this:

After your quote, type this: [/ color]

Don't leave any spaces within the code or between the code and your quote. (I had to put in spaces so you could see the codes.) You can also use this format to change the size of the font or make it bold, italic, etc.:

[size =10] your quote goes here [/size] (but leave out the spaces)

your quote goes here [/B ] (but leave out the spaces)

If you play around with adding color, changing size, and using bold, etc. in your posts, you'll see these codes in the preview window.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 01:39 pm
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I like your quote, Mustang.

For color I highlight what I want to have in color and click on the color display in the answer box.

Or you can choose one from the Default box.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 01:49 pm
mac, thanks! I'm going to fool around now. Laughing See you later. Arrow[/color]
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 01:51 pm
And thanks, ul, also.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 02:17 pm
Debacle, Aye, Burrrns it is:

A man's a man for a' that!
For a' that, and' a' that,
Their tinsel show, an' a' that,
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

I'll probably never change the signature.

Ul, Thanks for the translation. I understand the point and the idea. Now if I could live by those words . . .

Mustang, I'd much prefer looking at C notes. Haven't seen one in ages. I get all my cash from ATMs. They deal only in twenties. I am a great admirer of Eleanor Roosevelt, and I'm unaware of any revisionist history. Let me live in ignorance. Great quote.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 11:15 am
Gossamer....no one remembers the poor walking carpet with sneakershttp://gossamerwebworx.com/gossmani.gif
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
Quinn, I remember him. Great monster. Great sneakers.

Thank goodness for the Cartoon Network. I've managed to catch all the Bugs flicks. And a day without Tweety and Sylvester is, well, a day without Tweety and Sylvester. Come to think of it, I prefer Sylvester and his son. Oh, father.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 12:11 am
UL - well the Gummint WOULD say that wouldn't they?

Seriously, there are two pyramids located in Rome from the Imperial times. They were tombs modeled on the Egyptian pyramids and not there as some sort of proto-Illuminanti group.

This may have stuck in the minds of many educated tourists in the 18th Century.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 07:15 am
The pyramid on the Great Seal was, and is, a Masonic symbol. Many of the Founding Fathers were members of the Brotherhood. Some build with stone, the goal of Masonry is to build a better world by perfecting the hearts of men. "We can not make a bad man good, but we can make a good man better."

My signature line reflects my appreciation of the old, too oft forgot, chief Roman Virtue.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 05:37 pm
Asherman, Years after my cousin told me that the eye on the great seal was the evil eye, I learned that it was, indeed, a masonic symbol.

My knowledge of Latin leaves a great deal to be desired; namely, knowledge of Latin. What does gravitas mean?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 11:44 pm
Somebody wrote that it was the left eye, maybe that's why your cousin thought it was the "Evil Eye."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 01:24 am
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:24 am
dlowan wrote:

Something not usually associated with a wascally wabbit
0 Replies