Signature Quotes

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:31 am
I enjoy reading all the signature lines and quotes almost as much as I enjoy reading the posts.

Out of all the possible quotations and things that could be said, why did you choose your signature?

the prince

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:35 am
Cause mine is soooooooooooooooo me !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:46 am
Hang on - just checking if the signature I just chose comes up...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 06:47 am
Ha!

I chose it because it is silly and funny - it was said by Jessica rabbit in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:04 am
Mine is a silly saying I saw some time ago and it just kind of stuck in my head. It doesn't necessarily describe me, but I do like spuds!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:28 am
I guess I picked up mine because it seems to sum up my political philosophy pretty well and I spend a lot of time in political discussions. It's also somewhat serious as opposed to my profile which is.. well.. just plain silly!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:54 am
Most folks know of Murphy's Law ... "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong" In my workin' days, I fiddled with much very "techy" stuff, both military and civilian. Sometimes this stuff would be hot off the drawing boards. Invariably the manufacturers' claims were that this or that new widget solved all previous problems and established new parameters for dependable performance and all-around reliability. One otherwise unmemorable afternoon, a colleague and I stood with dismay observing a fire, caused by a fault in a newly installed test-item, vigorously consuming our truck. The fire extinguisher with which the truck had been equipped had proved to be faulty as well, and of no help whatsoever in the current matter. We were in a remote area, the weather was worsening by the moment, night was approaching, and our base facility was beyond the effective range of our handheld communications radios. I commented something on the order of "Well, that's Murphy's Law". My colleague, a rather dyspeptic type at his best, responded, "Yeah, well Murphy was a *@#%ing optimist!". It was a long, uncomfortable walk back, during which I managed to incur a minor ankle twist. As we wetly labored our way back to civilization I became utterly convinced of the universal truth of my colleague's earlier observation, and have employed it much myself over the ensuing years.

timber
0 Replies

maximom

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:38 am
I just haven't decided on a signature yet... but I'm working on it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:59 am
Me too, maximom! The obvious one, given my avatar, is "We can do it!", but I don't like the wartime overtones now, and in terms of the feminist slant, i.e. women can do it, no duh.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:13 am

timber -- I've had a car burn up on me -- in heavy traffic rather than in the remote wastes of wherever -- and somehow it just struck me as the funniest damn thing (as I stood there inhaling burning battery and trying to get the heat-warped hood open). Probably didn't grab you the same way.

As to the quote -- well, I do my best to brighten the day. (It'll likely change again soon, anyway...)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:57 pm
Gautam, If it's you, it's you. 'Nuff said.

dlowan, Silly and funny with just a soupcon of truth.

fishin, Your profile is a masterpiece! If awards are given out for profiles, you would win. I'm glad you made it back here from Rangoon. Your quote is a bit more serious. Your philosophy. Simple and straightforward.

Timberlandko, I'm picturing the truck burning and the nonfunctional fire extinguisher. Your friend was right. Murphy was an optimist. It once took me 28 hours to get from Michigan to NYC. I spent the night in Boston. Don't ask. Suffice it to say that things went wrong that weren't even on the list of possibilities for things going wrong.

maximon, Let us know when you come up with something.

sozobe, What happened to your avatar? Wasn't it a 1940s-looking woman? Will we be seeing a new avatar soon?

Patiodog, Truth be told, it was your signature that inspired me to start this thread. Every time I see it, it forces me to stop and think. Hey, stranger things could happen.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:12 pm
Mine's the beginning of the chorus to a song called "Dirty Water" by the Standells.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:14 pm
Oh, I thought pd was just being glib and curmudeonly. Ya know, the usual. You really can't see my avatar? (I can...) I'll try to fix that.

I found the givesthemback link, but it doesn't seem to be working. Right now my link is to a yahoo album. Please let me know if you can see it or not -- no problems from my end. (Cached, maybe?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:42 pm
Ah, now it works, soz. I think you were seeing the cached version.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:49 pm
er, i still don't see it. (but i know what it is, so, through the power of imagination...)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 02:03 pm
My current quote is a line of Scrooge's (the next morning of course) from A Christmas Carol - in keeping with the season.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 03:30 pm
All of my signature quotes have been snippets from Edna St. Vincent Millay poetry. I like change, the same signature would bore me. This way, anybody who reads one of my posts gets some new literature to think about every day or two.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
<can't see sozobe>

my signature line was the nightly sign-off of Max Jackson, a much-loved sportscaster in my home town. i loved that sign-off as a kid, and my dad taught me that it was really a good way to live life.

20 years after leaving home, i was just starting a new job - someone said something about someone else not being a good sport - i said my little line, and the guy two desks over popped up - where do you know that from? he's become a great friend - i help him fund-raise for the cancer society, in part by being a good sport at golf tournaments he runs, playing with the worst players, jollying them along - encouraging donations by not taking myself too seriously - just being a good sport.

i can say that, as i sit here with my christmas party antlers on irl. being a good sport for office spirit.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 07:04 pm
Ah (not to say eh, you'll note) ehBeth, that's really neat, and I know and everyone else here must know, too, that it suits you to a tee. I don't know much, but I do know that.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 07:24 pm
Wondered how quickly someone would start to analyse avatars and signature quotes. As you can see, mine needs no explanation!

I am also planning to make a change or two in the new year.
0 Replies