WHO WANT'S TO KILL APOSTROPHE'S?

neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 06:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I think there ought to be books of apostrophes with no words at all. It just might open new vistas to the aspiring writer in search of a theme.

' ''' ' ''''' ' ' '''''''''''''''' '' ' ''' '''''''
Corrected for emphasis.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 07:04 am
I have always wanted to kill definite article.

It is a meaningless part of English grammar and we can get along fine without it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 01:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I feel that way about signs in supermarkets which read: "Ten items or less." Fewer, goddamn it, fewer . . .

What is it with these people who constantly feel compelled to scream and wave their hands, "Look over here at me, I'm an idiot repeating another old wives tale that I've heard or read somewhere!!"

It really isn't at all difficult to find out the truth about language, Set, or even history for that matter.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:35 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am most fond of the apostrophe, when properly used. I have a near compulsion to go around and correct menus on chalkboards etc. Perhaps I ought rather to say menu's on chalkboard's.

I recommend a dose of mineral oil for your anal backup, wabbit.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:56 pm

Sometime's you need 'em, sometimes you dont.
JTT

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:58 pm
@McTag,
Setanta:
Quote:
I feel that way about signs in supermarkets which read: "Ten items or less." Fewer, goddamn it, fewer . . .
McTag

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:03 am
@JTT,

Setanta is right: "Less bacon, fewer pigs."
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:40 am
I strongly recommend this book:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation[Paperback] by Lynne Truss

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51v9N2V9v4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not only erudite, it is absolutely hilarious.
dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 07:21 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Ha! Reminds me of the joke about why Australian men are like wombats.

Because he eats, roots, shoots and leaves.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:43 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Ha! Reminds me of the joke about why Australian men are like wombats.

Because he eats, roots, shoots and leaves.

Off to the bad jokes thread with you, wench.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:08 pm
@McTag,
Quote:

Your deception is noted, McTag.

It is becoming a regular habit for you. You could have explained why Set was "right", but you're much more comfortable with deception.

You two are nothing more than ignorant prescriptivists, McTag. That became apparent in the peeves threads, though it must be noted, you pretended to have an open mind.

You two are, again, completely divorced from reality. I guess now you'll head off on a million and one tangents and diversions, never addressing why Set is "right".

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I strongly recommend this book:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation[Paperback] by Lynne Truss

Why do you figure, Merry, that anyone would want to trust the recommendation of a guy who rarely gets anything right about language?

Quote:
BAD COMMA
Lynne Truss’s strange grammar.
BY LOUIS MENAND

Why would a person who is not just vague about the rules but disinclined to follow them bother to produce a guide to punctuation? Truss, a former sports columnist for the London Times, appears to have been set a-blaze by two obsessions: superfluous apostrophes in commercial signage (“Potatoe’s” and that sort of thing) and the elision of punctuation, along with uppercase letters, in e-mail messages. Are these portents of the night, soon coming, in which no man can read? Truss warns us that they are—“If we value the way we have been trained to think by centuries of absorbing the culture of the printed word, we must not allow the language to return to the chaotic scriptio continua swamp from which it so bravely crawled less than two thousand years ago”—but it’s hard to know how seriously to take her, because her prose is so caffeinated that you can’t always separate the sense from the sensibility. And that, undoubtedly, is the point, for it is the sensibility, the “I’m mad as hell” act, that has got her her readers. A characteristic passage:

Quote:
Lynn Truss: For any true stickler, you see, the sight of the plural word “Book’s” with an apostrophe in it will trigger a ghastly private emotional process similar to the stages of bereavement, though greatly accelerated. First there is shock. Within seconds, shock gives way to disbelief, disbelief to pain, and pain to anger. Finally (and this is where the analogy breaks down), anger gives way to a righteous urge to perpetrate an act of criminal damage with the aid of a permanent marker.

I wonder if any of the anal here in this thread can see themselves in the above paragraph?

Some people do feel this way, and they do not wish to be handed the line that “language is always evolving,” or some other slice of liberal pie. They don’t even want to know what the distinction between a restrictive and a non-restrictive clause might be. They are like people who lose control when they hear a cell phone ring in a public place: they just need to vent. Truss is their Jeremiah. They don’t care where her commas are, because her heart is in the right place.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/06/28/040628crbo_books1

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Your deception is noted, McTag.

It is becoming a regular habit for you. You could have explained why Set was "right", but you're much more comfortable with deception.

You two are nothing more than ignorant prescriptivists, McTag. That became apparent in the peeves threads, though it must be noted, you pretended to have an open mind.

You two are, again, completely divorced from reality. I guess now you'll head off on a million and one tangents and diversions, never addressing why Set is "right".

I don't understand this.

But I'm quite happy about that, because your recent posts are becoming shrill and unbalanced.
JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 03:15 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I don't understand this.

But I'm quite happy about that,

When I first read it, I actually thought I was reading a response from Merry Andrew, McTag.

Your admissions are quite telling. You seem to be more than content to never understand.

You certainly are more than sharp enough to understand, but you are disingenuous enough to pretend otherwise.

Setanta:
Quote:

McTag:
Quote:

I replied: Your deception is noted, McTag.

Simples, McTag, why didn't you just explain how Setanta was right, instead of offering an example that had nothing to do with what Set was proposing.

neologist

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 06:24 pm
All this about apostrification?
Must be important.
JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 07:56 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am most fond of the apostrophe, when properly used. I have a near compulsion to go around and correct menus on chalkboards etc. Perhaps I ought rather to say menu's on chalkboard's.

This too must be deep tongue in cheek.

If not, one has to wonder how you can get your tail in such a twist over such picayune details but yet, you, Wabbit, never get involved in discussions about the real issues, the important issues about language.

You provide such learned, insightful comments on most every topic under the sun, but when it comes to language, you, seemingly, fall all over yourself to adopt a grammar marm persona.

If it was [not 'were', Setanta] tongue in cheek, I withdraw the preceding comments.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 08:30 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
All this about apostrification?
Must be important.

The apostrophication part, no, not at all, Neo.

The anal who get their panties in a bunch about it, also, not at all.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 02:27 am
@JTT,

Quote:
I replied: Your deception is noted, McTag.

Incomprehensible. Probably illogical, as far as one can tell. And impertinent.
JTT

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:29 pm
@McTag,
If you really have that much trouble with the English language, you should consider not offering any further advice.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 12:01 am
@timur,
Heavens judgement alone can decide whether Timur's apostrophe was an apostasy.