Vocabulary Question

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:08 am
Hello everyone! Yesterday I had my English II final exam (I'm from Spain) and we had to fill the gap in this sentence:

"The thin plastic bag _____ and everything fell down from the chair."

We had to fill the gap with "ripped" or "slipped". I chose "slipped" but almost all of my classmates chose ripped. I chose "slipped" because I don't think that an inanimate object such as a plastic bag can rip itself. Or can it? I'm a little confused and I'd be grateful if someone could clear this out for me.
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 592 • Replies: 18
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:42 am
@victorlara,
The clue word is "thin" implying "ripped" (which can be used for an inanimate object even if there is an unstated animate agent involved at some stage of a process over time. For example, the redistribution of sharp objects in the bag as it was placed on the chair could have caused the ripping)
roger

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:54 am
@victorlara,
I hate tests that require you to guess what the teacher was thinking.

If the contents fell to the ground, or something like that, I would probably go with ripped, especially as they noted that it was thin.

When they say "everything fell down from the chair", it's at least as likely that it slipped. As I suggested, we are guessing what the teacher had in mind.
contrex

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:56 am
@victorlara,
victorlara wrote:
I don't think that an inanimate object such as a plastic bag can rip itself. Or can it?

Many verbs can be used transitively (with an object) or intransitively (no object).

Transitive:
John ripped the plastic bag.
Someone snapped the string.
I burned the paper bag.
Mary broke the glass.

Intransitive:
John's plastic bag ripped because it was full of heavy things.
The string snapped because somebody pulled it too hard.
The paper bag burned when I threw it in the fire.
A glass broke when Mary dropped it on the floor.

Quote:
I'd be grateful if someone could clear this out for me.

... clear this up for me.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:02 pm
@victorlara,
Quote:
…... I chose "slipped" but almost all of my classmates chose ripped.
Good for you Vic

Quote:
because I don't think that an inanimate object such as a plastic bag can rip itself. Or can it?
There's nothing within the expression suggesting any such miracle unless there's something special about the bag we don't know. For instance it might be made of a substance which vaporizes in the presence of carbon monoxide. However even then it wouldn't be said to rip itself, but that the CO ripped it

I think there's some sort of grammatical rule bouncing around in your quizzical mind, Vic, and I congratulate you for airing it. There are at least two kinds of verbs, one merely suggesting an occurrence and another, your understanding of "rip" expressing the action of one object upon another. However it qualifies in either category
0 Replies

victorlara

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:20 pm
@fresco,
Of course! Now I see what the teacher meant. Thanks a lot!
0 Replies

victorlara

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:23 pm
@contrex,
Thanks Contrex, yours was the most helpful comment by far. I'm a freshman student, so my grammar is improving little by little. Thanks for the correction Smile
0 Replies

victorlara

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:25 pm
@roger,
I couldn't guess when I was doing the exam and I went for 'chose'. I'll take it into account for the next time. Thanks Smile
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:29 pm
@contrex,
Yea con, now remember--"transitive" v "in……." so thanks
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 03:07 pm
@victorlara,
Technically, there is nothing implicit in the wording that renders either anwer right or wrong or even better. The action that caused the food to fall is external of this sentence and Is not well implied. Id argue that either ripped or slipped is correct
fresco

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
At the risk of this getting turgid about that word "technically", we should remember these language games with forced choice alternatives are not very sophisticated. The teacher obviously indicated his preferred answer by usage of the word "thin" which would have been superfluous if not as there as "a clue".

As usual, these discussions tend to stray from the situational context in which the question is embedded. Some linguists have made a good living by writing books on contextual influences on single sentences.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 03:36 pm
@fresco,
Then Id argue that contextual information needs to be much better developed in order to force a selection.
If the teacher is also an ESL , its comprehension of context and how many native English speakers, like attorneys for instance, derive much of their incomes from asking such questions and arguing the result in court to benefit it client, is woefully inadequate.

0 Replies

victorlara

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 04:02 pm
@farmerman,
A lot of my exams are like that. Having to answer questions like that, ambiguous and confusing, gets on my nerves. Thanks for your comment Very Happy
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm
I would have said the thin bag tore.

victorlara

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:34 am
@PUNKEY,
Unfortunately, that was not one of the options we were given. Had it been there, I would have also chosen "tore".
contrex

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 07:00 am
@victorlara,
victorlara wrote:

Unfortunately, that was not one of the options we were given. Had it been there, I would have also chosen "tore".

Tore, ripped, split, all would be fine.
McTag

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 07:53 am
@contrex,

Quote:
Tore, ripped, split, all would be fine.

Or burst. We say that about paper bags. "The bag burst".

"Ripped" is normally used for fabrics, not plastic, I think.
contrex

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 08:28 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
"Ripped" is normally used for fabrics, not plastic, I think.

You can rip a page out of a book, or a sheet of paper in two, and paper is not a fabric, and you can rip bark from a tree. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary just says (of the usage under discussion) "to become torn, often suddenly or violently".
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 09:50 am
......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh !

Sorry, I feel much better now ! Very Happy
0 Replies