snood

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 08:48 pm
I thought this article captures pretty well a tricky situation that happens to blacks in certain professions...

For A Black Doctor, Building Trust By Slowing Down

It may be hard to imagine that people can distill their thoughts on a topic as complicated as race into just six words. But thousands of people have done just that for The Race Card Project, in which NPR host/special correspondent Michele Norris invites people to send in their microstories about race and cultural identity. Respondents submit their six-word stories via Twitter, on postcards or online and, every so often, Morning Edition teams up with The Race Card Project to share one of those tales. You can find hundreds of six-word submissions and submit your own at www.theracecardproject.com.

Our latest story involves an image that should be familiar to anyone who has traveled America's highways: that sign on the side of the road that warns drivers to keep within the 55 mph speed limit. That's the image that immediately popped into Dr. Gregory McGriff's mind when he heard about The Race Card Project.

McGriff, who lives in Rutherfordton, N.C., was sitting on his front porch, listening to a podcast of NPR's Talk of the Nation. He was intrigued by the six-word exercise, so he picked up a piece of paper and wrote down "55 miles per hour."

The last words didn't come to him immediately, so he fiddled with several combinations until he settled on one sentence that met the six-word limit: "55 mph means you black man."

Please read the rest of the article here, and please comment:

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/01/178442772/for-a-black-doctor-building-trust-by-slowing-down
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,630 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 08:13 am
@snood,
Well, the doctor is intelligent, beyond his medical training, in my opinion. His situation is not unique, except for his insight into his need to cope with possible negative stereotypes he has to live with. Meaning, many ethnics/minorities do need to give a little extra, in the way of care/concern, when dealing with the majority group. Otherwise, while the response might not be "uppity," as in the article, but possibly "arrogant," "superior," "perfunctory," or some other pejorative thought to assign negative sterotypical behavior.

Anyway, I do not think the need to tread on eggshells, so to speak, will end anytime soon, unless one thinks two or three thousand years is a short time.

An anecdotal story of why Jewish doctors might be considered good, for curing one's ills, comes to mind. Jewish students historically needed an A+ college record to get into a medical school, in the U.S. The Christian student could get admittance with a lower average. So, today there are those that believe that a Jewish doctor is just "better." Perhaps, a Baptism in fire does make for stronger person?

Getting back on topic, the Black doctor giving a more concerned effort to his patients is just the better way, and if most Black doctors follow suit, then many a patient will specify they want to see the doctor (that is Black).

For example, here in NYC West Indian nurses from the West Indies are often considered more caring to infants (for mothers that had a CS, and need help at home initially) by many a white mother, I believe. In my opinion, this is possibly due to their realizing that they need to be "selling" something that a white nurse may not have the inclination to sell (a more demonstrative tender loving care to the infant?).

I believe, the focus of this article should not be a lament that the doctor needs to go 55 mph in his life, but that everyone else might consider it beneath them to go 55 mph in life, and 55 mph is the ojectively correct speed to go in one' life.

Digressing a moment, didn't Satchel Paige once say he never runs for anything? (I know I'm using a double entendre.)
boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 09:48 am
@snood,
Man.

That interview broke my heart a bit.

I can't even imagine what that must be like so I thank you for posting this, snood, so that I have to imagine it.

It sucks that things are like this still.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 03:15 pm
@Foofie,
I looked it up Foofie. The quote I think you refer to is "I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:36 pm
In Dallas, going 45mph means you Mexican, which I can never understand as causing traffic to clog up would seem a great way to shout "Hey look at me!"

snood

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 04:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
World class non-sequitor
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 08:31 pm
@snood,
I knew that sooner or later you would reply.

It's hardly a non-sequitor and thus in no way a world class one.

Your post has a minority controlling his speed to avoid police harrassment, and so does mine.

I appreciate that my post wasn't in keeping with what you wanted to see, but that doesn't make it irrelevant.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 09:04 pm
If you ain't white it don't make much difference what speed you go.
0 Replies