How can s.o. disappear completely and go underground without being found these days?

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 09:58 am
Just wondering.
New identity, rural district in nowhere-land, not passing border and airport controls ...

I don't think Hongkong/China to be the best idea, but it might work.
For a couple of weeks.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 10:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://onelook.com/?w=s.o.&ls=a
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 03:05 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm with dale on this. I don't know what s.o. is an abbreviation for either.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 03:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walt does it mean "someone"
roger

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 05:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Yeah, or Significant Other, or something
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 06:08 pm
Don't know what s.o. refers to, but the content of his post tells me he's talking about Edward Snowden, the guy who ran to Hong Kong after exposing details about the US patriot act that people had ignored/forgotten about.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 06:10 pm
To answer Walter's question, it won't be very easy for him when he sticks out like a sore thumb, being a white guy in Hong Kong.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 06:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
As I understand it, Snowden wasn't actually traced to Hong Kong by any US authorities. He 'outed' himself by making it public that he was the whistle blower and made no attempt to conceal where it was he's posting from. He has, apparently, asked the Icelandic Ambassador to China about the possibility of seeking political asylum there. It has been reported that the Icelanders are very sympathetic to Snowden and his actions but he's been told that under Icelandic law he cannot be granted asylum while he is in Hong Kong. He must set foot on that island in the Northern Atlantic and then make his plea to the proper authorities.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 08:52 pm
When you press dangerous buttons, dangerous things happen quickly.
He is likely dead.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 10:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
My bad - s.o. really should mean "someone" Embarrassed
Olivier5

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 05:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In the case of Snowden, his best option is probably to strike a deal with a foreign spy service and let them protect and hide him.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:03 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

When you press dangerous buttons, dangerous things happen quickly.
He is likely dead.

Very unlikely, I would say.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:35 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

In the case of Snowden, his best option is probably to strike a deal with a foreign spy service and let them protect and hide him.

Hey, 05. I heard on the MSNBC's Chris Hays program that Snowden had a couple of options open to protect himself if it got too bad; he could negotiate with the Chinese for protection...the Chinese are just dying to get their hands on some US classified material. Snowden said he knows the US to be the most powerful entity on earth and their will be those out to get him so he will possibly give away classified info for sanctuary.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Hey, 05. I heard on the MSNBC's Chris Hays program that Snowden had a couple of options open to protect himself if it got too bad; he could negotiate with the Chinese for protection...the Chinese are just dying to get their hands on some US classified material. Snowden said he knows the US to be the most powerful entity on earth and their will be those out to get him so he will possibly give away classified info for sanctuary.

Hey MIT. Not the Chinese, puh-lease... But I guess from Hong Kong, the choices are limitted.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:48 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Hey MIT. Not the Chinese, puh-lease... But I guess from Hong Kong, the choices are limitted.

Even though Hong Kong is autonomous the Chinese has the final say over extradition from Hong Kong back to the US....after all Hong Kong is Chinese territory. So it would more in Snowden's interest to negotiate with the Chinese.
roger

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:01 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Doesn't this imply his intent was to damage the US, though? I'm not so sure it was.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
You will, apparently, be surprised to learn that there are certainly enough "white guys" (and girls) roaming the streets of Hong Kong to prevent one white guy from sticking out like any sort of thumb, sore or otherwise.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:16 pm
Snowden is hardly a sophisticated espionage operative.

Fleeing to Hong Kong was stupid, unless he is working a deal with mainland China (no reason to expect so though).

He was in Hawaii, he had money and so he flew to (relatively nearby) Hong Kong to stay in a luxury hotel with the ignorant expectation that there wasn't an extradition treaty.

Clearly he didn't give his escape a whole lot of thought (unless, again, he intends to cut a deal with the Chinese). There are many other places he could have more safely escaped to, but perhaps they don't have luxury hotels.

Word is now that he has checked out, but if the Chinese want him, I doubt he can elude them.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Doesn't this imply his intent was to damage the US, though? I'm not so sure it was.

I don't think it was either, roger. I don't consider Snowden a traitor in any sense of the word. He spoke truth to power and is now looking for sanctuary in a neutral country, e.g. Iceland. I can't see him accepting permanent asylum from the Chinese.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If he is still in Hong Kong, I doubt he will have much of a choice about accepting asylum from the Chinese.

Another romantic idiot.