Dental discount plan vs. new dental patient special

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:55 pm
I don't have dental insurance. I need to go to the dentist for a cleaning (it's been a long time) and I think I have a couple cavities.

I recieved a new patient special at a dental office. It offers free exam, consultation and neccessary exrays. Says nothing about cleaning. And cavities filled would be full price as would any other work that needed to be done.

Now, for a couple of years I've been paying for a dental program called Plan Plus. There's no mention of cavity filling, but they mention 15% off of braces, whitening, etc. Here's some rates:

Quote:
Examinations
Member's Price*

Initial Oral Exam $18
Periodic Oral Exam $16
Emergency Oral Exam $18

X-Rays
Full Mouth (every 2 years) $30
Single X-Ray $7
Each additional film $4
Bitewing - four films $20
Panoramic film $36

Preventative Care
Child's cleaning $17
Adult cleaning $26
Topical Fluoride (without cleaning) $13

* prices subject to change

There are no limits on frequency of care except for full mouth X-Rays.
Plan Plus

Which should I chose? I haven't been to a dentist for routine care while being off dental coverage and I don't really know what to expect for rates.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:01 pm
I'm sorry, I can't help you - but let me give you a couple poor person's tips for dental hygene (note - may not be advocated by dentists):

A high concentration flouride toothpaste once a day can stop cavities. I think this must be prescribed by a dentist - it's a special paste. If you can't get this get the highest flouride content over the counter paste you can buy. Sometimes I'll just dab a tiny bit of it right onto the cavity and let it sit there for awhile.
Flossing once a day can prevent in-between-teeth cavities, which are a pain to fill. They even sell flouride covered dental floss now! I also like tooth scraping w/ a fingernail. Gets the plaque right off.

For future reference, cavities start to form around 20 minutes after eating sugars. So, if you can, it's a good idea to brush right after that soda or candy bar, or just cut them out of your diet. Sucking on hard candy or sipping sweet tea is a bad idea.

You can identify a cavity by sticking a pin into it - if it hurts and the pin sticks (doesn't pull out easily) it's a cavity. Take precautions not to bite off your own hand.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
eesh! The thought of sticking a pin into a cavity sends shivers down my spine. Thanks for the tips Portal!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:18 pm
It's a really, really bad idea to do anything but fill cavities. I understand the poor person's perspective part, I've been there, but I also have read a ton on the subject when we had a scare with my daughter (just had her 6th post-filling checkup, still no cavities, whoo-hoo!), and you just gotta get it taken care of. It has to do with things like bone loss, osteoporosis, bad non-tooth stuff like that, as well as the fact that there is just no way to contain the s. mutans if they are there. Have one cavity, you'll keep getting more.

Beg, borrow, steal, but get it taken care of.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
Yeah, soz, you're right. I sent an online request for an appointment with the 'new patient special' office. For June.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:29 pm
Good on ya, 'k.

You may not even have cavities, of course. I had some alarming spots that turned out to just be stains -- and I never drink coffee, almost never tea, and don't smoke! Just gettin' old. Sigh.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:36 pm
Maybe I should see what it'll cost to get dental added to my health ins. Maybe go that route for a couple years - or until I feel I've caught up.
0 Replies