When have you ever been to a wedding

JTT

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 11:34 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
For ''She has gone away a long time ago'', must we use WENT AWAY to replace HAS GONE AWAY? because I thought 'a long time ago' forbids the present perfect~

I see now, WB. My example wasn't an attempt to correct the example you gave. It was simply another example.

As I've previously mentioned/As I've mentioned in a previous post

Of the two choices, above, in bold, native speakers would likely choose the former because 'previously' is a more obscure past time adjunct. As I've mentioned, the present perfect still remains a structure that is rarely collocated with specific past time adjuncts.

Of course, the present perfect is often used with the more obscure past time adjuncts such as previously, recently, just, ... .

Quote:

2 finished-time words: present perfect not used

We do not often use the PP with words that refer to a completely finished period of time, like yesterday, last week, then, when, three years ago, in 1970. This is because the PP focuses on the present, and words like these focus on the past, so they contradict each other.

Practical English Usage -3rd edition: Michael Swan; Section 456

Notice the words "not often". That denotes that it does happen but as I have mentioned before, the reluctance of native speakers to mix them is strong.

Quote:

5 present perfect with past time expressions

Grammars usually say that the PP cannot be used together with expressions of finished time ... . In fact, such structures are unusual but not impossible (though learners should avoid them). They often occur in brief news items, where space is limited and there is pressure to announce the news and give the details in the same clause.

A 24-year -old soldier has been killed in a road accident last night.

Ibid Section457.5

Below is an example from the former UK PM and current war criminal, Tony Blair.

Quote:

THE JAPAN TIMES • TUESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2005

Blair denies he made deal with Brown over job

Asked whether he had as­sured Brown that he will step down, then changed his mind, Blair replied: "I've dealt with this six months ago. I said then you don't do deals over jobs like this. You don't."

0 Replies

WBYeats

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 01:13 am
Thank you, JTT. Englishmen tend to use the present perfect more often than Americans~
JTT

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 11:42 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
Englishmen tend to use the present perfect more often than Americans~

That is changing even as we speak, WB.

But that leaves the issue of how BrE uses the PP of current relevance/importance. I haven't seen any studies on this.

Tony Blair's response seemed to be an example of the PP of current relevance. Though the quote didn't show it, it could have been something like this,

"I've dealt with this, ... six months ago.
0 Replies