Question about hyphens in this phrase

ovidius

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 09:43 am
So, I'm not quite sure what the correct usage is here.

I'm trying to use the phrase, "six to eight miles" and I'm not sure if it should be one of these:

six-to-eight miles (which is what I thought was correct)
six- to eight-miles
six to eight miles

My assumption is that the first one is correct because I would see it as an adjectival phrase modifying "miles". But I know that ages, according to CMOS, would be expressed as "a group of twenty- to thirty-year-olds".

I'm not sure what the rule is here.

Thanks for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 660 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 09:58 am
@ovidius,
My thought is not to hyphenate. Others may advise differently.

I don't claim this is a rule as I doubt there'll be a set rule to which you must adhere. This is MY way of looking at it being a lifetime English (American) speaker.

That being said, if you were to use the phrase as part of an event or similar collective group...such as '6-to-8-mile-race', it is appropriate to hyphenate.

As you have demonstrated...with the phrase 'thirty-year-olds', which is a group of similarly linked people in an age group. There is no particular similar link with the phrase '6 to eight miles'.

Correct: "I walked around 6 to 8 miles."

Correct: "The event was geared for 6-to-8-mile-runners."

The reference is to runners as a collective group who run that specific range of races. It's not modifying or explaining the running distance, per se, but refers now to that specific class of runners.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 11:09 am
@ovidius,
Quote:
I'm not sure what the rule is here.
In spite of some experience in the field Ovi I'm never quite sure what the rule is, or even if there always is one

It seems to me that the miles don't fall in quite the same category as the distances. A hyphen hooks words together (esp where they modify), so in the case of "a group of twenty- to thirty-year-olds," If you omit the first or second hyphen for instance you get twenty to thirty one-year-olds

…whereas if you omit the last you get something puzzling: An unspecified number of oldsters of uncertain age who might, for instance, have been pursuing a notion or political idea for some twenty to thirty years

In the case of distance "six-to-eight miles" seems right because as you said, "six-to-eight" is a unit modifying "miles." However for some reason someone else will probably explain below, in this instance collo wouldn't use hyphens at all per Rag's excellent posting above. However in

Quote:
Correct: "The event was geared for 6-to-8-mile-runners."
I'm not sure I'd use that last hyphen. Dunno why, collo mebbe
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 11:20 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
...such as '6-to-8-mile-race', it is appropriate to hyphenate.
Rag I suppose it depends on the habitat, but I wouldn't have used that last hyphen; while I'm supposing collo wouldn't use any at all

Unless it were a very complex compound adjective, eg, "….taking into account a 2-to-3-mile-race argument vs 6-to-8-mile-race considerations," though I'd be more likely to say, "….taking into account the argument involving a 2 to 3 mile race vs one of 6 to 8 miles
0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 11:27 am
@ovidius,
Wiki wrote:
A definitive collection of hyphenation rules does not exist; rather, different manuals of style prescribe different usage guidelines. The rules of style that apply to dashes and hyphens have evolved to support ease of reading in complex constructions; editors often accept deviations from them that will support, rather than hinder, ease of reading.

and

Wiki wrote:
En dashes are more proper than hyphens in ranges (pp. 312–14) and relationships (blood–brain barrier) and to convey the sense of "to"

More here..
dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 12:04 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Wiki wrote:…….A definitive collection…..
Forgive me Tim but where and when
timur

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Don't be lazy, Dale. Follow the link I gave and read..
ovidius

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@timur,
Thanks! I actually left the hyphens out, for now. Ultimately, I think it's about ease of reading, but if there's an ironclad rule, I tend to get myself in trouble by ignoring it. Smile Thank you all for your reply!
0 Replies

ovidius

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:31 pm
@timur,
Thank you! I left the hyphens off!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:49 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Follow the link...
Oops sorry Tim. I had assumed that Wiki was somebody posting in another thread