The scene of death is on Upper Xi'an Beach

WBYeats

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 05:51 pm
Hi, today I heard the news reporter say:

The scene of death is on Upper Xi'an Beach.

In English, do you use THE before a beach name? My dicitionaries can't tell me....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 616 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:47 pm
@WBYeats,
As a general rule, there's no need to use 'the' if it's the proper noun name of the beach. You use 'the' if you're generally referring to a beach without calling it by it's name. Thus, it would be equally correct to say either 'The scene of death was Hilo Bayfront Beach," or "The scene of death was the beach on the Hilo bayfront."
WBYeats

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 07:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I thought this rule applies to parks only....

Thank you, Lustig Andrei~
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:03 am
How about a tunnel name?

We say the Channel Tunnel; the Severn Tunnel; but is there any exception?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:51 pm
@WBYeats,
Good question. I had not thought much about it but we also say the George Washington Bridge or the Brooklyn Bridge. All I can think of is that there's a very slight difference in how this problem is handled in American and British English. Brits will say, "He is in hospital" whereas Americans will say, "He is in the hospital." Likewise, the British will not say "the London Bridge" but simply "London Bridge." I'm not sure that there is a hard and fast rule about this.
WBYeats

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you, I also heard of the bridge difference between US/UK English.

By the way, in English names for parks, as far as I can tell, US/UK/NZ/Aus English never use THE, but how about when the name for a thing not a park contains PARK?:

eg (The) Kaesŏng Industrial Park is a special administrative industrial region of North Korea.

Should I use THE?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 03:57 pm
@WBYeats,
That's really what we call a toss-up, WB. Either way would be correct in most cases.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 12:29 pm
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

How about a tunnel name?

We say the Channel Tunnel; the Severn Tunnel; but is there any exception?

Major road and rail links that connect opposite sides of the sea (the Channel Tunnel) or of widely separated river sides, especially estuaries (e.g. the tunnels under the Mersey, the old and new Severn Bridges, the Forth Bridge, the Tay Road Bridge, the Tay Rail Bridge, the Tamar Bridge, the Severn (rail) and Dartford (road) Tunnels) tend to have 'the' as part of the name, whereas minor ones don't - the Thames bridges in London, Blackwall Tunnel, and the very many tunnels under rivers or through hills or mountains, which all have a name, and minor road tunnels.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 10:10 pm
Amazing~ My grammar books don't tell me these~

Thank you Lustig Andrei and Contrex~
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:26 pm
I've written several sentences, could anyone help me? (My dictionaries don't help....

- People rallied outside (the) Sizhang Industrial Estate.
- People marched from (the) Northern/Sinkiang Playground.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 06:45 pm
In addition:

-The party, holding banners and chanting slogans, protested against the fare hike in (the) Fujian MTR station.

(I know in the UK like 'Paddington station' no THE is used, but I'm not sure about the US and whether THE should be used when it's not only STATION but MTR STATION....
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 07:06 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
protested against the fare hike in (the) Fujian MTR station.

There's a difference here, WB. As I don't really know this situation you're describing for China, I'll give an example for Japan. If it's the same, as determined by you then the articles will likely be the same.

Let's use the big, famous stations that likely most have heard of.

protested against the fare hike in the Tokyo subway/JR station.

Here, with 'in' [or inside], the situation is quite specific and the speaker would want to denote that by specifying whether it was in the subway or the JR [Japan Railway] station.

protested against the fare hike at the Tokyo Station.

Here, with 'at', the location isn't so specific. It could be around the general area of Tokyo Station, but the word 'station' is part of the name, as it would be for Shinjuku Station or Shibuya ..., Meguro ..., or Akihabara Stations.
0 Replies