Grammatically, "a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3" mean ...?

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 02:48 am

Grammatically, "a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3" mean "a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3 ventral root"?

Context:
An intradural somatic-to-autonomic anastomosis, or Xiao procedure, has been described to create a “skin-CNS-bladder” reflex that improves bladder and bowel function in patients with neurogenic bladder and bowel dysfunction. The authors present their experience with a 10-year-old boy with chronic neurogenic bladder and bowel dysfunction related to spinal cord injury who underwent the Xiao procedure. After undergoing a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3 intradural anastomosis, the patient reported that his bladder and bowel dysfunction improved between 6 and 12 months. Two years after the procedure, however, he reported that there was no change in his bladder or bowel dysfunction as compared with his condition prior to the procedure. Frequent, systematic multidisciplinary evaluations produced conflicting data.

More:
http://thejns.org/doi/abs/10.3171/2013.4.PEDS12302
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 323 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 11:29 am
@oristarA,
I've heard L-5 used to indicate a specific spinal vertebra in the lower (Lumber) region of the spine.

I've no idea at all whether that bit of information has any relation to your question, but it is the only medical use I know of for the expression "L-5".
oristarA

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've heard L-5 used to indicate a specific spinal vertebra in the lower (Lumber) region of the spine.

I've no idea at all whether that bit of information has any relation to your question, but it is the only medical use I know of for the expression "L-5".

Thanks Roger.
But you haven't answered my question:
Grammatically, "a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3" mean "a left L-5 ventral root to left S2–3 ventral root"?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:16 pm
@roger,
Quote:
lower (Lumber) region of the spine.

lumbar region ... .
0 Replies