Programming langauges - text adventures and muds

rufio

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:47 am
I hope this is the right forum for this. I can think of a half a dozen other topics this could go under, but langauges are my thing rather than computers, math, or even games, so it's going here.

Anyway, I tried to learn a computer language once, one of these learn-C++-in-24-hours books, and it drove me nuts.... I really hate computer languages in my experience, but I want to be able to make interactive fiction games because I've always loved them. I know there are langauges specific to one-player IF like inform, but I wanted to make a multi-player game too. Does anyone know of a IF/MUD programming language that wasn't created to drive people bug-eyed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,423 • Replies: 6
No top replies

g day

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:59 am
Check google - there are pre build - freeware game engines that you can use and extend - meta game engines if you like for simple games.

I see if I can find you a link tomorrow, becuase programming is hard - avoid it as a lurk if you can!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:13 am
C's a pretty easy language. If ya didn't like it then I suggest you follow g__day's idea.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
Rufio,

You should consider the possibility that you hated the *book* not the experience of programming.

Those 24-hour books are like the set up tapes I bought to learn Arabic many years ago. I learned some phrases, but soon stopped because the tapes are so tedious. I later took a course in Spanish. Just having a live teacher and a group of peers to learn with made all the difference.

I suggest you try a course in programming -- either java or c would be a good place to start. You may really enjoy it.

The templates may help you make very basic games, but to do anything really interesting with the type of project you are thinking of, you will need to learn some programming.

Good luck.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
Thanks g__day, I will try that. I'm not looking for a template, per se, though, just a language that is suited to IF and that is not to difficult to use.

Ebrown, it could be, but I don't know if I should chance taking a class. Every time I take a math class, it pulls down my GPA. Razz Maybe if I have some time I could look for a noncredited class or something.
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:46 am
You would probably get a better answer on RAIF as it's dedicated to users of Inform, TADS 2 & 3, HUGO, ALAN, ADRIFT, QUEST and other authoring systems.

RAIF is a Google Group under the tag of rec.arts.int.fiction and you can find it here.

Good luck with the MUD. Maybe you can pop around the IF MUD, too.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:05 am
If you are using a Windows OS, try Visual Basic, which is very handy and powerful for the GUI programming.
0 Replies