"Deadwood" premiers tonite on HBO

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:39 am
Sorry, I can't stop saying "**********" lately, thanks to Deadwood. The scheming of Al Swearengen alone was enough to have me tuning in all season.

Last night's episode turned out to be both ominous and sublime, drawing to a close like the first act of a finely-crafted screenplay or the first chapter of a commanding page-turner.

"When did you start thinking every wrong had a remedy, Wu? Did you come to camp for justice, or to make your way?"

"We all have bloody thoughts..."

And about ten other memorable phrases.

What could have been -- both -- more thoughtful and horrible, after a whole season of hoping for some human side of Swearengen to show up, than watching him take pity on, as he took the life of, the pathetic suffering minister?

And Seth Bullock assuming his inevitable roles as sheriff of the camp and lover to Alma Garret, while conflicted by the beating nearly to death of her father, and the impending arrival of his wife and child?

And Doc, whose prayers for a merciful end to the preacher's suffering were answered, and his gift of a brace to the crippled woman made a light shine for him again?

So much yin and yang for everyone I could barely keep up. Must Tivo next time it's on.

Now the only question is, how long do we have to wait until the next season?

Have mercy on us, dear HBO, and send us some fresh "Deadwood" real quick-like.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:04 pm
This is an exposition of how our system was developed and corrupted. Great plot development is what drives the HBO series and makes them stand out over the network offerings. They also nailed the production design -- the sets and costuming are first rate. The sly humor of the character Swearengen turning the air purple with his language is making me smile.

I haven't researched whether he is a real person or not or any of the others in the cast besides the obvious ones except for Bullock. A fun project although I'm not sure I want to read too much about them 'cause it would be a spoiler.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
Here's the background on the Gem Theater and Al Swearengen:

http://adamsmuseumandhouse.org/answers/alswerengen.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:30 pm
And the New York Times article:

DEADWOOD REVIEW
0 Replies